The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bars are closed in Texas
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 8:37 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
what about setting up a live stream b0b? Instant audience. and put in a tip jar.

I know people who are doing that. If I depended on gigging for income, I'd consider it.

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 3:47 am    

The news last night in Austin interviewed the association that represents bar and music venue industry. The gentleman they interviewed said most bars and music venues are holding on by a thread, and if something doesn’t change most will be out of business by October.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 4:45 am    

One of my favorite jazz clubs is Smalls in Manhattan. They have been booking acts since june and paying their regular gig rate. No audience, everything live streamed. Plus they have gotten some help from folks like Billy Joel who donated $25k to help them pay their bills. Here is an article about how they are surviving. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/arts/music/jazz-smalls-coronavirus-concerts.html

Makes me wonder about the stars of the country world, are they stepping up?

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 5:02 am    

It seems that the country stars are doing fund raisers for different entities like feed the homeless and cancer research, which is also needed, however, I have never seen a single one that benefits the musicians that are in the real world.
Most of the "Big" stars have their guys on salary (which is good, but a small percentage) and are out of touch (IMHO) with the guys in the trenches. I don't have a clue as to how they would donate or create a honest way to get musicians across the country the money. That would be a task in itself, I think. Somehow, it seems that most of the money gets sucked up by the management before it gets to the right people anyway. There are some "Go Fund Me" accounts that I have donated to during the Facebook concert. Just my opinion.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 7:24 am    

Roy, John McLaughlin is doing his bit for jazz musicians, like Billy Joel was mentioned earlier.
https://downbeat.com/news/detail/john-mclaughlin-raises-funds-for-jazz-foundation-with-lockdown-blues

Maybe a country artist might consider doing the same. It’s a big decision though; once you start emergency fundraising, the requests never stop. McLaughlin seems okay with it, as he is involved with many of these type of projects.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 8:43 am    

Some bars are opened here in the Ft Lauderdale area, but absolutely no country music can be found. Even when there was no Corvid 19, there was no local country music bands playing. Country music here can be found in our local cemeteries, it's over, finished, gone into the Twilight Zone.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 8:55 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
I hope a decision gets made to shut EVERYTHING down in the whole country for the next 3 months, so we can finally get a real handle on this virus. This state by state open/closed/open/closed nonsense obviously isn't working. We were closed here in PA from mid-March, and now that it's time for us to reopen, the states that didn't take it seriously are screwing things up. The virus doesn't care about borders.

Wear a damned mask........and just stay home unless you HAVE To go out.

You said it Jim, totally agree with you,these are such crazy times.
From a fellow Pennsylvanian

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 12:47 pm    

Kenneth Kotsay wrote:
Some bars are opened here in the Ft Lauderdale area, but absolutely no country music can be found. Even when there was no Corvid 19, there was no local country music bands playing. Country music here can be found in our local cemeteries, it's over, finished, gone into the Twilight Zone.

There is some in the Stuart-Jupiter area. At least there was before I left at end of May. Of course right now things are on hold.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 4:05 pm    

This thing about all the bars in Texas closed up brought to mind a song from a songwriter I've admired and played his music for decades... Brian Burns. Here's a video you Texans on here might enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTH533NIyg

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 4:49 pm    

That's a good'un, Herb. I first heard of Brian way back listening to Radio Free Texas. I envy the wealth of musical talent down there!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 8:17 pm    

It’s been a slow season here, honestly I’m enjoying some time off after 35 years of chasing notes, a little battery recharge is healthy, chops are rusty but ehhh who cares. I’m not selling out though we have dates throughout the year here and there, keep your chins up laddies, there is life out there besides music.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 4:28 am    

a goodtime to learn c6, the no money, no gigs neck. i'm having a blast.

Price Porter

Marble Falls, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 2:42 pm     Bars closed in texas

Howdy larry bressington,old buddy!I agree with the approach of recharging and being ready and pick up when this terrible crisis passes.remember the days when you and I used to play together playin the dance halls of Nebraska and the Dakota's.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 4:57 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
This thing about all the bars in Texas closed up brought to mind a song from a songwriter I've admired and played his music for decades... Brian Burns. Here's a video you Texans on here might enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTH533NIyg

Healdsburg and Santa Rosa? He has been everywhere! Mr. Green

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2020 10:49 am    

Hello my old road pickin mate 'Price Porter' long time no see my brother, i had no idea you were in Marble falls, i do alot of Texas trips, we need to visit sometime in the future, maybe at a gig, blessings to you and family! Smile