The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SMS FreeLoader power on/off
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 9:31 am    

I realized that I failed to include this in the documentation, and it has some people confused.

The way we turn ON/OFF the battery in the FreeLoader is by plugging/unplugging the top input jack. The bottom plug(s) can remain plugged IN.

Some ask why I don't add a power switch. I have a few reasons, but here are a couple. A toggle switch can get damaged and/or go bad. A toggle switch is hard to see across the room if we ever want to glance over and see if our FreeLoader is turned on or off. With a plug, it's easy to see, a no brainier. Also, the way an input jack powers on/off the device is a VERY ROBUST form of a power switch that can't go bad or break. It uses the ground sleeve of our guitar plug to complete the circuit and power on the battery.

So we do it that way for extra long life, reliability, robustness, ruggedness, and clear visibility as to whether it's powered ON or OFF.

Enjoy!!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 10:21 am    

I was planning on adding a switch to my Freeloader. Then I stopped and considered that I was essentially building a weak spot into an otherwise bulletproof unit.
Nah.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 4:49 pm    

Thanks for the heads up Brad...Carl

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 8:24 pm     SMS Freeloader on/off switch

Thanks for posting this. I have one coming that is in the mail so this is good, timely information.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2020 2:13 am    

Probably true for many. OTOH I installed an on/off (miniature) switch in my Goodrich MatchBro at least 20 years ago and still works perfectly.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2020 5:52 am    

Jack,
I did the same thing, no problems. Very Happy
Erv

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2020 12:37 pm    

I have had mine connected since I received it several months ag and I checked the battery today and it still above eight volts.
At what voltage will it begin indicate a battery renewal ?

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 6:04 am    

Hey Billy.

It's a rough science, but my math suggests that a good alkaline 9v battery should hold the FreeLoader at an optimal voltage (near 9v) for about 500 hours or so, but it's still a good circuit down to 7v or maybe even below that. It's very efficient. I haven't tested it's minimum voltage yet.

Enjoy!
Brad

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 6:16 am    

Even the battery hardware is superior, with solid, fixed connectors instead of the soft connection pod on a string that I always seem to yank off circuit boards.

Several times I have opened the unit to test the battery (because I always worry about a low battery at a gig) and every time, the battery reads as fresh as a daisy, even after leaving it plugged in overnight a few times. This thing just refuses to eat batteries.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 7:18 am    

I have had several of Brad's creations over the years and every one has been tremendous. I still use My V8 all the time.
Quality and service is outstanding.