The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anybody use the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 v2?
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2020 5:24 am    

Does anybody here use the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 v2? I've been tempted to try one because I'm always looking for stuff I can plug into a general-utility powered speaker system. But so far, my results have been very spotty, regardless of reviews of whatever box I'm trying out.

Anybody got an opinion on this one, preferably -- but not necessarily -- based on experience?

--Al Evans

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2020 7:47 am    

Olli Haavisto has one and really likes it. I'm sure he'll jump in at some point. He posted about it here:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=345381&sid=0bafe16efcb14f12578fec6e150bd54b

I heard him use it at the Phoenix steel guitar show this year and he sounded great. Olli can confirm, but I think he went direct. I thought he had a wonderful tone.

I was getting ready to purchase one for my fly-gigs this year ... until, sadly, everything got cancelled.

Hope this helps. Boo

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2020 7:53 am    

I had the 1st generation Fly Rig. Every effect in this unit is usable and OK. However, if you are picky about certain effects and like very tweakable parameters it may fall short.

I am building my own fly rig and have been watching vids on players that build their own. Here is a good video from Zac Childs where he descirbes his version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBt01Tq90c

Building a fly rig will be more expensive than a self-contained unit like the Tech 21. The Tech 21 is very convenient and may work out well for your needs. Building your own allows you to swap a specific pedal for another.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2020 11:06 am    

I have one.

It lives in the glove box of my truck, along with a Quilter Interblock 45. I keep these two pieces of gear as backups. The Tech 21 sounds great, an excellent DI tool, as well as decent amp/boost/reverb voicings.

Obviously, not the same as having a decent amp for recording or gigging. But, the times I have used them.....when I have had other gear fail at a gig......they have been worth their weight in gold.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 10:45 pm    

Hey,
Boo is right, I use one and and at the Phoenix Steel Show I did go direct.
Sounded great in the monitors, no tweaking, good tone straight away.
Demos played on the Fly Rig 5 v2 have ended up on masters...
Highly recommended!
Here`s my latest application of the Fly Rig: the perfect set up for preparing for a gig.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2020 5:41 am    

Olli Haavisto wrote:
Hey,
Boo is right, I use one and and at the Phoenix Steel Show I did go direct.
Sounded great in the monitors, no tweaking, good tone straight away.

Thanks, all, I did end up getting one. I've been happy with the sound and tweakability so far. I've been using with my ZumSteel Encore, running into an oldish Soundcraft mixer I use in my workspace with a couple of Mackie SRM 350 speakers (sound system left over from bygone days). I turned on the "Blonde" section and some reverb, and treated it like a Fender amp, and it's close enough for my ears. It pretty much "just worked".

--Al Evans

Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 12:15 am    

This is what I would like to experiment with for going direct... Once I can acquisition a Strymon unit anyways....

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 10:17 am    

The Radial DI alone weights more than the Fly Rig 😀

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 9:11 pm    

The strymon Iridium is pretty awesome. I've been using a bunch lately.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2020 4:34 am    

I thought the Strymon Iridium had the ins & outs to run aux fx and still go direct. Why would one need to use a DI as pictured in Brandon's post? I know I'm probably missing something.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2020 7:15 am    

The iridium does not have Xlr output. That’s why you need a direct box if going to the PA

Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2020 9:37 pm    

Olli’s demo sounds great as do the couple of guitar players I know that use the FlyRig. It certainly seems to be a great option but I personally am not a huge fan of the SansAmp preamp. At least for me I never could get quite the sound I wanted out of it.

Scott, I wish the Strymon unit did have xlr outputs but as Bruce said it does not. The only similar product I have found with di out is the Ampli-Firebox.

As far as that little pedalboard pic I posted, I already own and use everything BUT the Strymon so that’s why it is configured that way.