The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U12 copendant with 2 raise, 2 lower mechanism
Everett Gillespie

Vine Grove, KY
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 12:30 pm    

I picked up an old rus-ler 12 about a year ago that was kind of a basket case. I've mostly figured out how to get everything working, but the problem I've run into is that every u12 copedant i can find have 3 raises on at least 3 strings. This changer only has 2 raise and 2 lower levers per string

The guitar came with some barrel adjusters which I assume can be used to allow multiple pedals to be connected to the same rod. Problem is I only have 4 of them so, realistically I can only have 2 strings with more than 2 raises. Finding extra of these barrel adjusters seems to be impossible.

Having said all that, can you guys recommend me copedant that would work for what I have.

I have 9 pedals, 2 left knee levers, 2 left vertical levers, and 2 right knee levers.

I have no idea how it was originally set up from the factory.

I'm almost at the point of just setting this up as basic e9, but I feel like I'd be missing out on the entire purpose of owning this

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 2:13 pm    

Interesting. Assuming you're aiming for E9/B6 universal, you could reduce the pulls on string 5 to only 2, just A and C pedal, by omitting pedal 7 that raises 5&6 a whole step. Instead, and arguably more efficient and useful anyway, set up a zero pedal to raise string 6 to A#. That way it combines with the A pedal to make the P7 raise of string 5&6. I have this on my E9/B6 tuning and it is great because it creates the P7 effect with pedal A, but also works on its own the same way that Pedal 4 would (C6, A-B or B6, G#-A#). You could also raise the lowest G# ( usually string 10 ) a whole step as well for a complete "P4' ( but on zero pedal ) because that string will probably only raise a half on the B pedal otherwise.

Another workaround for reducing pulls would be to omit pedal 6. Instead, lower string 8 E a whole step on a lever. This way you don't need a pull on string 4 of E flat back to E that would be on Pedal 6. It still works as pedal 6 would, and the lever approach would also replace the B-D string 9 pull, allowing you to have string 9 B - C on the boo wah / P8, and also keep the B-C# on pedal A.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 3:36 pm    

Here is a method of adding an additional pull using a tandem block as invented by either Tom Bradshaw or my friend Fred Layman [RIP].

It takes an unused rod position in the changer and allows it to be used for an additional pull.

I don't know if anybody makes these now. Michael Yahl used to offer them but they don't show on his site now.

Yes, for Uni you need more than 2 positions in the changer for some changes.

I have owned a couple of older 2 lower Uni 14 Sierra Crown guitars where I utilized this method to gain additional changes...It's been a long time though and I don't rightly rememer all the details.

Everett Gillespie

Vine Grove, KY
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 4:39 pm    

Jerry Overstreet, this is genius. I have the ability to make some aluminum blocks.

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 5:17 pm    

Tom Bradshaw put a couple of those things on my MSA S-12. They worked great!

Thanks

Lee Rider

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 5:49 pm    

Hi Everett,

The part Jerry mentioned is good. However, I believe psgparts should have those barrel adjusters you are looking for.....

Just like you said, that way you can hook more than 1 pedal or lever to the same rod.

.....Pat.