The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA 12 string restoration
Jeremy King

Rochelle, GA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 5:00 pm    

A woman came up to me at a show a few weeks ago and told me she found a pedal steel that belonged to her father in law in a storage building. Sounds like he passed away a few years ago and the building suffered a good bit of water damage. She didn’t know any other steel players in the area and wondered if I would take a look at it. I gave her my number and today she asked if she could bring it over after church.

I got it from her this afternoon and I’m pretty overwhelmed. Not sure it’s even possible to restore it. It is a 12 string MSA. I have no idea what model. Rust is everywhere and there are a few parts missing.

Anyways, do y’all know what model this might be? Is this something that is possible to clean up at this point? If so, what are some cleaning and restoration suggestions?

I’m just trying to help this lady out. Sounds like the steel is sentimental to her husband and she wants to have it working again for him. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jeremy King

Rochelle, GA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 5:10 pm    

[/img]

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 6:34 pm    

That is an early MSA with Pull Bar raise and lower system. The Classic series came out about 1970. This guitar predates the Classic.
There may be a serial number, On the guitar. Check on the Changer End under the guitar.
Here is a picture of a S Series Classic's serial number. Post the serial number here on the forum, Or get on MSA's Website, E-mail them the serial number, They may be able to find its birth date.

Finding parts for that series of MSA may be hard to find. Good Luck in this project.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 4:38 am    

He Jeremy that is an old girl the changer on that thing is supper complicated and the entire guitar is old technology. If you were doing this as a project for your self it would be one thing but if fixing to sell I don't know if the time and effort would be worth what it would bring.

Barry

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 5:17 am    

Hi,
This guitar was built on Taylor St in Oak Cliff ;
70 m0st likely late 60's ..Not the easiest MSA work on.. I would clean it up . new strings and see what it does..Pickup is a 10 string..Let me know if I can be any help ... David

Jeremy King

Rochelle, GA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 12:03 pm    

Thank you all for the responses! It looks like the number on the steel is 10025. I emailed MSA about the steel too. Hopefully I can at least get it cleaned up and presentable for the owners.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 12:54 pm    

June 1971
Jerry Cunningham aka Hambone
Steel player here in Dallas. No longer with us.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2024 6:47 pm    

You posted the pictures while I was putting my post together.
That guitar looks like it is a candidate for a wall hanger.

Billy Coopers Steel Guitar Shop in Orange, VA, Has a few steels hanging on the wall, That make some unique decorations.
It looks like he put some type of bolts in back leg holes and a piece of some type of cable between the bolts, They hang like pictures on the wall with the front apron down.

Being a 12 string body with only a 10 string Pickup, Means the guitar has been seriously changed at some time.

Good Luck in this project.