The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Pomodoro Technique for practicing music
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 2:54 pm    

I never heard of the Pomodoro Technique until I read a recent New York Times article and it seems once again, I am playing catchup on something that is a thing.

For those that don’t know what it is: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/magazine/pomodoro-technique.html?referringSource=articleShare

From wikipedia:
There are six steps in the original technique:

1. Decide on the task to be done.
2. Set the pomodoro timer (traditionally to 25 minutes).[
3. Work on the task.
4. End work when the timer rings and put a checkmark on a piece of paper..
5. If you have fewer than four checkmarks, take a short break (3–5 minutes), then go to step 2.
6. After four pomodoros, take a longer break (15–30 minutes), reset your checkmark count to zero, then go to step 1.

It seems a great system for practicing an instrument. Practicing scales. Practicing chords. Practicing repertoire. Practicing Fundamentals.

Pomodoro is italian for tomato named after the tomato shaped timer the guy who came up with it used. The idea is to allow you to achieve high focus and productivity without burning out. It has a bunch of other rules, such as you can’t bail on a pomodoro mid stream.

What thinks thou oh wizzards of steel?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 3:17 pm    

I know when I'm not taking any more in and need to stop.

But then I'm an experienced teacher, and what I can recognise in others I can also recognise in myself.

Away from the instrument the brain continues to process the task. It's like sleep-learning except you're awake and can do other things.

I'm not decrying systems that work for other people, but an arbitrary period of time has no meaning for me (although I do eat quite a lot of tomatoes).

But thanks for posting, Bill Smile

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 3:30 pm    

This method is for general time-management and I think it works, especially if your mind tends to wander. It makes it easier to force yourself to stay on task because you know you're being timed -- but it isn't a super long stretch, and you know you'll be getting a break.

But for practicing music, it seems that somebody (Paul Franklin??) said that you should not work on the same thing for too long. After 4 or 5 mins of running over the exact same solo or phrase, your brain gets bored and loses focus. Another hour on it doesn't buy you much if your brain is only half-engaged. Better to rotate in different parts or exercises on a regular schedule -- one that's way shorter than the 25 minutes suggested here. Keep mixing it up until it's break time.

I like the idea of quick 3-minute breaks being inserted every half hour. You might be able to keep focus over a longer practice session than you would without them.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 3:50 pm    

How about running the same solo or phrase in all 12 keys?

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 4:29 pm    

I used it on bass a few years ago. What I liked about it is you don’t have to think to get a good practice in. I would decide on the weekend what I wanted to get done for the week and divided it up in chunks and away I went.

The only change I made was I did 15 minutes instead of 25 as it worked better for my simple mind.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 9:53 am    

It has been long accepted by educational psychology that short focused learning sessions on a daily basis are generally more productive than marathon sessions, even daily ones. It is also interesting to note that good sleep habits are essential to the learning process. Our brains codify and solidify new material while sleep.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2020 1:32 am    

well, this is not a necessarily a new technique , someone just put their name on it ! But it's still good and very valid. 25 minutes may be way too long for many, we can barely stay concentrated on anything for more than 5 min. Plus the boredom may cause us to stop and just start noodling again.

Step one is the most critical , most overlooked and maybe the most misunderstood, If we don't recognize the value of step one there is no purpose to the entire routine.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 29 Jun 2020 2:11 am; edited 3 times in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2020 1:35 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
How about running the same solo or phrase in all 12 keys?

Exactly right Bill. Very Happy Then modify it just a tad , and do it again. Then at the same time recognize those simple changes on the fret board. Its like a floodlight shining in our brain !

While I don't do all 12 keys I do it in 4ths and 5ths, which I guess is the same thing. Doesn't matter what Instrument.

After a few sessions of repetition,, the theoretical language begins to make total sense. Then all of a sudden we start playing in theoretical pockets rather than playing licks.

But its hard work, its not easy to stay totally focused.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website