The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams, Show Pro, Desert Rose
Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 7:18 am    

Hi all, I’m looking at all of the above brands for a potential future purchase. Obviously these are all highly regarded brands. Do certain brands have more/less of a certain tone/playability? Pro/Con of each? Let me know your thoughts!

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 4:55 am    

As you say they are all 3 top shelf instruments. Some offer options the others may not, but even here they can all be customized. There are ergonomic differences like string spacing, pedals, height of strings above the body where one may feel better to you. Obviously wood vs mica is a big difference. If it wasn't for COVID my number one recommendation would be get to a steel show where you can try them out. Possibly there are local players with one or the other brands that you meet up with, or take a drive to the makers if they are even allowing visits right now? Crazy time.

Last edited by Scott Swartz on 23 Jun 2020 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 5:13 am    

Here's some video of the Williams. Damir has a like new Williams for sale here on the forum for $4500.00. No wait.

Williams Video

Williams Tour

Ron

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 5:45 am    

What Scott said!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 8:39 am    

I have to say...There are not many bad brands out now. All the builders take pride and all using the same style technologies.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 9:29 am    

I have played most of the more popular brands of steels. I went to St. Louis and I got to play a good number of guitars there in years past. I honestly thought that they all played about the same with the differences being what Scott mentioned above. I am certainly not very accomplished, but the differences were subtle enough I could get used to what ever guitar I decided to buy. I recently ordered a Williams guitar and my purchase was based pretty much on the level of customer service I received from Mr. Randolph and the way he approached my questions and needs in a guitar. I wanted a modification that most builders I contacted were unable or unwilling to entertain but Mr. Rudolph had multi-options available to assist with my requests. He also called me and made sure all the options I corresponded with him about were exactly how I wanted the guitar. I've never owned a lacquer guitar so I am looking forward to getting it. Unless your in a hurry, I would take Scott's advice and wait until you can play a few over the course of a weekend and then decide.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 12:07 pm    

Wow those three brands are all great steels I guess it’s a toss up.

Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 4:36 pm    

Tough choice for sure. I owned a Williams, played a Desert Rose and currently own a Shopro converted shobud. The willy played like a dream, the rose came alive above the 12th fret,and the bud plays noticeably better. There is something to be said about buying locally, or somewhat closer to home, ie no shipping/lower cost shipping.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2020 7:49 am    

Where are you in Indiana?

Indianapolis to Nashville, about 300 miles, 5 hour drive.
Make a weekend trip out of it.
There are several steel shops in Nashville.
Make sure that they are open before you go.
Book a hotel room for 2-3 days.
Visit the shops and gather information.
And maybe......if you're so moved before you leave......a new steel!!!

I'd say to go to a few steel shows and/or jams to do some test driving, but who knows what the futre is for those events.

Also, there may be some players/owners near you that would let you visit them and do some test driving.

And..........

How long have you been playing?
What is your skill level?
What do you have now?
These things can all have an effect on your decisions.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2020 8:23 am    

Ron Hogan wrote:
Here's some video of the Williams. Damir has a like new Williams for sale here on the forum for $4500.00. No wait.

Williams Video

Williams Tour

Ron

A couple samples of the Williams in action.

Sample one

Sample 2

Sample 3

Ron

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 8:33 am    

I presently own an example of all three brands. All are great sounding and playing guitars. One feature on the Williams '700' series that I find particularly nice however is the method by which the strings mount onto the changer fingers making string changes much simpler and quicker.

Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 1:01 pm    

Thanks all for your input, everybody!

As luck would have it, Bud Harger's D10 GFI Ultra was too good of a deal to pass up! It's on its way now.

Slightly funny that it's body construction is very different than all of the brands mentioned above, I'm sure I'm going to be more than happy when it arrives. It looked to be in great shape and well taken care of.

Now I just need to keep my head down, and keep practicing!

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 1:16 pm    

Anthony,GFI guitars are wonderful, well made
Have fun with it.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 1:36 pm     Steel

Don’t forget about Rittenberry,! I would say the Rittenberry is in the top three and I’ve owned a lot of guitars in my day!! As a matter of fact, I have a D 10 Laquer guitar on order!

Derek Puckett

Cookeville Tn
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2020 6:14 am    

Thanks dale, I’m taking in new order at Rittenberry contact me for pricing
And options.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2020 8:23 am     Re: Steel

Dale Foreman wrote:
Don’t forget about Rittenberry,! I would say the Rittenberry is in the top three and I’ve owned a lot of guitars in my day!! As a matter of fact, I have a D 10 Laquer guitar on order!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Awesome, and yes Rittenberry's have a very special sweet sound to them... Have one coming too.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2020 10:16 am     Ditto!

One more vote for Rittenberry! I have had three and my new D-10 is in production now. They are the best there is...

jim

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2020 10:19 am    

A few months ago I read about a new guitar built in Nashville"Newsome"looks like it should worth checking out?