The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gary Dillard
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2020 5:28 pm    

Gary “Beaver” Dillard Passes Away

According to Singing News Gary “Beaver” Dillard passed away late this afternoon after an extended illness.

Gary was a vital part of The Kingsmen’s band during a significant portion of the years between 1973 and 1993.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2020 7:15 pm    

Sad news. Gary was a talented performer.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2020 9:38 pm    

Gary ordered and played one of our guitars for a while.
He had to sell it for health reasons. Yes, he was very talented.
Prayers for the family, Rest In Peace Gary Dillard.

Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2020 7:35 am     Gary Dillard

I met Gary when he moved to Tuscaloosa, we talked steel guitar on the phone a lot. Gary came over to my house and played with my group when he felt good . I miss my new friend . R I P Gary.

RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2020 9:31 pm    

Sad news indeed. My introduction and early influences were all Southern Gospel. Gary was among the first that I would constantly move the needle on the record player back over and over again in order to learn the licks. Gary, Jack Smith, Johnny Cox, Glen Paul, Dale Jones, Ronnie Moore... As Jim Hamill would say, “The Beav!” What a great inspiration!

Paul Sattler

Australia
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 1:03 am     Vale Gary Dillard

I am very saddened to hear of the passing of Gary Dillard. I never met Gary yet I felt I knew him well. Why you ask? Especially as I live outback Australia....well about five years ago Gary posted his Carter D12 for sale here on the Forum. I am a fiddle player but my brother is an excellent steeler (plays a Zum), and I wanted to try and master the pedal steel. I had attempted to purchase a couple of guitars but the sellers were reluctant to deal with the complexities with sending the guitar overseas.

Gary however was very happy to sell me his beautiful Carter D12. I sent several thousand dollars to a complete stranger on the other side of the world, trusting in his sincerity. I need not have worried...the Carter arrived 10 days later, perfectly packed, in superb condition. He was an absolute gentleman with which to do business.

But there is more to the story. Gary and I exchanged emails on dozens of occasions, and became friends. He send me videos of his drone shots of his home in North Carolina, where he lived before moving to Louisianna, and I sent him a package of Australian country music CD's. I used to regularly send him You-tube links to various Australian country music artists, such as Troy Cassar-Daley and the McClymont Sisters.. Gary was universally generous in his praise of these artists. Gary also sent me several DVD's of his playing, which I treasure.

In January of this year - our summer - we had horrific bushfires all over Australia. Whole towns were wiped out, hundreds were killed. Firefighters from US, Canada, New Zealand and all parts of Australia flew in to help. My local area (Armidale, in the New England region the of the state of New South Wales) was in the heart of the emergency. Gary emailed me to make sure I was OK.

I never met Gary Dillard. Yet today I am sad and feel I have lost a brother.

Rest in peace Gary Dillard. You were a decent honest man - and a great steeler.

Paul Sattler,
Armidale, New South Wales,
Australua

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 4:21 pm    

Gary and I became friends on face book. He had just moved to the Birmingham area from North Carolina, I remember seeing him in Baton Rouge , when he played with the Kingsmen Gospel Quartet.We chatted about steel guitar. And I told him I remembered his blue matte finish mica push pull. He was surprised that I remembered that guitar, but I did.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 7:30 pm    

I met Gary at a Kingsman concert back in 76 super nice guy he actually PMed me about a year ago with some questions about a Williams I had. He was thinking about buying one. I told him he was more than welcome to come by and try mine as we were only about an hour and a half from each other.
Really a shock to hear this RIP Gary and show your stuff to all the greats at that big Steel Guitar Jam on Hi.

Sad Sad
Barry

RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2020 5:32 pm    

Sad news indeed. My introduction and early influences were all Southern Gospel. Gary was among the first that I would constantly move the needle on the record player back over and over again in order to learn the licks. Gary, Jack Smith, Johnny Cox, Glen Paul, Dale Jones, Ronnie Moore... As Jim Hamill would say, “The Beav!” What a great inspiration!

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2020 10:31 am    

My condolences for Gary's family and friends. There are some really nice stories about Gary here, makes me feel like I knew him.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Hugh Jackson

Dunn North Carolina
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2020 12:31 pm    

I met Gary playing with Kingsmen years ago a awesome player RIP!

Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2020 2:35 pm     Gary Dillard

Just so everyone knows , Gary moved from N C to TUSCALOOSA not part of BIRMINGHAM . TUSCALOOSA IS 60 MILES South West of B HAM. Garry was a great person and player. I miss my new friend.