The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Offering lessons
W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2020 8:32 am    

Touring is canceled and I have nothing to do except home renovation and practicing steel. So let’s do some lessons!

Some artists I’ve played and recorded with include: Khruangbin, Loretta Lynn, Leann Womack, Lyle Lovett, Jim Lauderdale, Leon Bridges, Buddy Miller, Shakey Graves, Josh Hedley, Robert Ellis, Sam Outlaw, Deer Tick, Cory Chisel, Orville Peck, Jonny Fritz, Nicole Atkins, and Many More®

Depending on what we cover in a lesson I’ll provide: Chord charts, backing tracks, tab, theory notes, and individual supplemental videos.

I’ll show you the secrets to:
Playing fills in the same range as the guitar, fiddle, or keyboard the whole gig
Playing both out of tune AND out of time simultaneously
Stealing the spotlight from a singer
Playing way too loud
Playing way too fast

Fundamentals of steel: volume pedal, picking, bar technique. Arm, wrist, and hand posture. Choosing gear and dialing it in to your sound.

Music theory: Basic to advanced theory concepts. Number system, thinking intervallically, how to read and write chord charts, ear training, how to play songs you’ve never heard.

E9 and C6 tunings: Open tunings, pedal and knee lever use, standard positions and pockets, breaking out of the box on both tunings.

Standards, songs, solos etc: I usually have my beginner students go through a chronological set of intros, turnarounds and solos to see how the tunings work. We can cover any songs or licks you might like to look at.

General playing: Fitting in to a song, playing behind a singer, playing steel outside of the country realm and making it actually work, active listening, and general playing philosophies.

Topics I will discuss:
What is Spencer Cullum really like?
Who is the cutest member of Khruangbin?
Robert Ellis - how does he do it, and why?

Topics I will not discuss:
Is a hot dog a sandwich?
Jonny Lam

Please DM or e-mail me to discuss setting up a lesson and let's get nErDy

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
    Post  Posted 17 Jun 2020 8:18 pm    

I'm particularly interested in your Stealing the Spotlight from the Singer curriculum. Wink Wink

And any tips on how to make the audience think that bad note was the bass player's fault...

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
    Post  Posted 18 Jun 2020 8:26 am    

John McClung wrote:
    ...And any tips on how to make the audience think that bad note was the bass player's fault...

😂 Laughing 😂 Laughing