The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Taking Requests?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 7:38 am    

Do you take requests? I have played in many bands over the years, and we would often get requests.
Often these came with the added incentive of a few bucks in the tip jar. So we would usually attempt to play what they wanted, even though we sometimes didn't like the song, or it was totally out of place in the particular venue at the time. I was often called upon to sing or (fake it) because I was the most experienced player and I could usually tell the bass and guitar what chords to play.
It was because of these requests, I would eventually research the lyrics, melody and correct chords. This over time resulted in a pretty large repertoire.
Decades ago in nightclubs, we would hear "Play Melancholy Baby" or "Waltzing Matilda" a few years later it would be "Proud Mary" or "Tie a Yellow ribbon" and some guy way in the back would yell "HENDRIX" ahh good times!
Well now for the last 15 years I have been playing solo gigs with my steel guitar and backing tracks. And of course I often get requests for "Steel Guitar Rag" and "Sleepwalk" but I also get requests like "Play some Johnny Cash" or "Elvis" and "Eagles" and "The Beatles"
I am still having a blast exploring the adaptability of the steel guitar on songs like "Something" and "Help" and of course "Desperado and Peaceful easy Feelin" I thank God to have lived through the years of what I consider to be the best music ever written.
Whenever I get a request for a song I don't know, I will usually research and learn it... During the downtime due to the corona virus I have added many songs to my repertoire, and now many places are opening up to outdoor performances. I have been playing these (New to me) songs. and I'm loving it!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 5:26 pm    

Dom, I play in my son's band at various times. Because of generation difference there is a lot of material I play without a clue. It's interesting and fun too. Lots of Outlaw Country. They will take requests and if the singer knows it, we play it. It's way different for me than the old days with set lists and rehearsed material.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 8:28 pm    

If the ‘band’ knows the song ‘Yes’ if not then No’
Train wrecks are a fast way to become a jukebox/jam session and higher pressure gigs won’t allow it, I don’t blame them, it’s a business and they pay for professional performances. I think it’s unhealthy to have a band wing a song to please one person unless you can pull it off in a very professional manner.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 6:06 am    

"If you have a request, just write it on the back of a twenty dollar bill and bring it up here." Whoa!
Erv

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 6:28 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
"If you have a request, just write it on the back of a twenty dollar bill and bring it up here." Whoa!
Erv

I was at Tootsie's in Nashville and someone sent a song request on a $100. The band didn't know it, the tried and tried to sing the title but they had no idea. They kept the money. This was a few years before everybody in the band routinely carried cell phones with internet.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 7:24 am    

Back in the previous century, the club band I was in would do requests during one set. We would announce it, and strongly suggest paying a $10 fee. One night a young lady gave us 5 bucks to play Lookin For Love. We played half the song and stopped. We explained to the folks on the dance floor what had happened. Somebody else came up with another 5 bucks and we started the song back up where we left off. Show biz...

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 8:17 am    

Here's an oldie:
Uhh, Ladies and Gentlemen, we've had a few requests...
...But we're gonna keep playin', anyway!
Smile

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 10:23 am    

I've found that when you play regular shows to the same audience, it's always the same people that request the same songs. It's almost like they think you expect it of them and they are just doing their part. I dont think it's so much that they want to hear the song, they just want to request something and it's the only song they can think of.

RC

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 11:45 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Here's an oldie:
Uhh, Ladies and Gentlemen, we've had a few requests...
...But we're gonna keep playin', anyway!
Smile

Similarly, reading from a cocktail napkin:

"We get this one a lot. Do you any of you guys know 'Get the Hell Off the Stage?'"

I used to tell people "If you can sing it, we can play it." Had very few takers.

Steve Huddleston

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 11:57 am    

I remember being asked, “can you play Far, Far Away?”

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 12:26 pm    

Steve Huddleston wrote:
I remember being asked, “can you play Far, Far Away?”

One particular band I was in for a short time often received requests for that one, too. Another favorite request was "do you know how to play dead?" We'd say "sure" and start into Casey Jones.

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2020 10:07 am    

When a "regular" customer asked for a particular song many times; so when I'd see them come in I'd automatically play "their song". Darn good for business and for a "fan" to keep coming back.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2020 10:02 pm    

I don't usually like to take requests, but then again I'm just the steel player so I ain't got much say.
Requests from men are 1 thing, but women almost always request garbage, because to most women, a good song is only one you can dance to.