The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd green and JayDee maness
Jacob Marcus

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2020 6:39 pm    

I know Lloyd and JayDee played on sweetheart of the rodeo album with the byrds but I’m curious if they ever played with gram parsons after he went solo?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2020 6:49 pm    

don't believe so, but I think JayDee played pretty regularly at the Palomino Club that Gram was known to frequent so maybe some impromptu collaboration occurred there. not sure of the timeframe but I'm pretty sure Gram was going there well after his Byrds days. maybe JayDee will chime in?

seems Lloyd didn't get out of Nashville much, he stayed so busy there. I think the Byrds flew him out to L.A. to help put finishing touches on the Sweetheart album but it's doubtful he and Gram did anything together after that.

of course it was Sneaky Pete on steel in the Flying Burrito Bros for Gram's duration, Al Perkins and Buddy Emmons (mostly Al) on Gram's solo efforts, and Neil Flanz who toured with Gram in support of the GP album.

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2020 7:24 pm    

Gram was in the International Submarine Band before he joined the Byrds. The band put out an album In 1967 called Safe at Home. JayDee was all over that album

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 1:21 pm    

I love that album!

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 6:19 pm    

Me too Scott.
I started out my Gram journey with the Burrito Brothers, then went to Grievous Angel and GP. I picked this one up in 1977-1978 and was blown away. The band was comprised of a bunch of young guys earnestly playing country music the best that they could. Just as I was trying to do at the time in Richmond Va. I was the same age Gram was 10 years earlier when SAH came out. I just wish that I could have written a song like Blue Eyes, or Luxury Liner at age 20, or even now at 60+.
Have a beautiful Asheville evening.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 11:08 pm    

scott murray wrote:
don't believe so, but I think JayDee played pretty regularly at the Palomino Club that Gram was known to frequent so maybe some impromptu collaboration occurred there. not sure of the timeframe but I'm pretty sure Gram was going there well after his Byrds days. maybe JayDee will chime in?

seems Lloyd didn't get out of Nashville much, he stayed so busy there. I think the Byrds flew him out to L.A. to help put finishing touches on the Sweetheart album but it's doubtful he and Gram did anything together after that.

Quote:

From the book Timelss Flight:
The record was partley recorded in Nasville and Los Angeles. LA players were Earl P.Ball and Jon Corneal, in Nashville there were John Hartford, Roy Huskey Junior etc.
Whar makes me wonder is the instrumental I once heard with Clarenc White and Lloyd.
Also the book states that JD played seveal gigs with the Byrds, one being done at a club called Ciro's for Derek Taylor's farewll party (I think after that he became press agent for the Beatles).
Gram wanted JD as a fifth member of the Byrds but McGuinn declined.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 8:51 am    

Just in case you don’t have this instrumental version of the record, you can get it at www.coastalbendmusic.com

Last edited by John Macy on 15 Jul 2020 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 9:36 am    

John your link only said: site not found.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 10:30 am    

thanks Joachim
yes Lloyd and Clarence both played on the unreleased (until much later) All I Have Are Memories as well as 100 Years From Now. Lloyd had great things to say about Clarence's guitar playing.

I seem to recall reading that bit about Gram wanting to get JayDee in The Byrds and I'm pretty sure he wanted him for the Burrito Bros too. Gram loved Sneaky Pete but he did say later that he wanted a more "traditional" (E9) player originally. he seemed quite pleased with the Safe At Home album in comparison to the Burritos recordings.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 10:40 am    

Hey Joachim.... there is an extra "." at the end of the url. The "." after ".com" should be removed and then the link will work.

The "Hickory Wind" video link is worth the trip in itself. Only the bestest pros on that clip. All great, but Man, can Jim Lauderdale sing... or what!?!

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 2:37 pm    

That was it! All fixed now. And yep, love his singing!!