The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Requesting Info: Franklin Pedal Steel
Valerie Taylor

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 9:33 am    

Hi Everyone!

My late grandfather was a huge music lover and played many instruments including the pedal steel guitar. When he passed, he left his Franklin Pedal Steel Guitar to my mother. She has held onto it out of love and nostalgia for her dad. Now that she and my dad are getting older, I am trying to help them sort through their things. Unfortunately, I don't have much information on this guitar and it is very difficult to find information online. From what I can tell, this is a D-10 guitar.

Basically I have a few questions both just has a family looking to remember their grandfather and celebrate his love for the instrument and also because eventually, I will be selling the instrument.

1. Can anyone point me in the direction where I can just learn more about the history behind the Franklin instrument?
2. It seems like a lot of people bought their instrument directly from Mr. Franklin and we are curious if my grandfather did. He last played it probably in 2005. My mother recalls him having the instrument for a long time. His name was Lires "Junior" Lolley. He would have either lived in Panama City or Defuniak Springs, FL.
3. Am I correct in thinking this is a D10? Also, is the serial number the number etched into the steel underneath the top part of the instrument? That's the only number I've been able to find.
4. Since I will unfortunately have to part with it eventually, do you have recommendations on if we should get it tuned/cleaned up before selling? We live in NW Florida and are willing to drive as far as Alabama, Georgia, Miss, Tennessee if they would know how to properly take care of it.

I plan to set it up this weekend, but I've attached a picture of the top. I can attach more pictures later if that would be helpful.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 9:57 am    

Hi, Valerie. I can't answer your questions about this D-10 as well as others, but I will say that the Franklin guitars are some of the more valuable ones in existence. They can sometimes fetch three times the price of other pedal steel guitars. Or more.

Don't sell it until you get a handle on what market value is. This one looks to need some maintenance which will knock a little bit off the value, but not much, and you could always sell it 'as is' if you didn't want to have it restored. A few good photos from different angles (especially a few of the underside) would give Forum members something to help you set a fair price.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 10:07 am    

I just sold a D-10 Franklin that I bought new in 1982 and since I had one for 38 years I'm very familiar with them. It looks like it could have been about the same timeframe as it has Lawrence 705 pickups and that is what mine came with. Mine was serial number 65. Posting the serial number will help to date it. All new Franklin's if purchased new were direct from Mr. Franklin.

Franklin's are held in high esteem and although this one needs some "TLC" it has a high value as it is. I would leave it as is and let the new owner do what they want as far as any update. Other than the obvious fretboard wear and general cleanup and probably changer lubrication we don't know much else to suggest be done to it.

If there is another steel guitar player in the area, have them look at it and tell you how many floor pedals (probably eight) and how many knee levers and what each one does as that info is important for selling. I could look at it and give you the info but I'm in Inverness (Citrus Co) if you are willing to drive this distance. Send me a forum PM.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 10:50 am    

One other tip. If you're going to set it up for photos, and you're a non-player who's never done that before, the process is not obvious.

You assemble it while it's sitting in the case, where the guitar will be upside down. It's easiest to assemble and lift out of the case if the case is not on the floor (like the guy did in the video below). Couch is good. A chair with a back is a little dangerous since it's hard to find one with a wide enough seat, front to back, for a D-10 case; don't let the case slide off onto your feet when you can't get the lid all the way open because it's hitting the chair back.

First, take some pictures of the undercarriage. When you open the case, you should be looking at the bottom of the instrument so now is the best time to get those pictures. Get shots of each half of the undercarriage and maybe one from slightly futher back that shows the whole thing.

UPDATE: I originally wrote a big long explanation about how to assemble the guitar, but a picture is worth a thousand words, so just watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ12kw6aP5s

One thing that they didn't get a solid shot of in the video is the connection of the pedal rods to the pedals. On each pedal rod, there is a spring-loaded barrel on one end (he calls it a 'hood' in the video) that you push down to expose a hole. That hole fits over the little ball on the pedal. If you push down the barrel but can't see the hole under the slot, you may have to rotate the barrel a little until you can.

If the slot in the barrel (and underlying hole) is on the opposite side from the pedal's ball you're trying to connect it to, the rod is on backwards. You have to remove the pedal rod and reattach it to the undercarriage, but with the hook going the opposite direction. Then remember to orient the other rods you'll be putting on with the hook going that same way. Don't worry too much about putting the rods on in numerical order; that only matters for playing, not for taking photos.

To get it out of the case fully assembled, grab one of the legs furthest from you (grab very close to the guitar's body) with one hand, and then grab a back leg close to the body on the opposite corner. It's really heavy so watch your back. Lift straight up, take a few steps back, and then lean forward and let the guitar roll over onto your thighs as it rolls on over and is softly set on it's feet.

To put it back in the case, stand on the front side of the guitar again (the side that says 'Franklin'), lean it far back against your thighs, then lean over and grab one front and one back leg (opposite corners), and grab close to the body of the guitar. Stand up and lift, the guitar flips over and you lower it into the case... disassembly is the reverse order of assembly.

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 3:25 pm    

You are going to get lowball offers for sure! Note that the last two Franklin D10s sold here were $8000. One sold yesterday.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2020 4:53 am    

You might also try to contact Paul Franklin or he may respond to this post. If you don’t know, Paul is one of the the best known stars of the pedal steel guitar. He might be able to get info from his Dad who built the guitar. There are probably records on the guitars he built.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 6:46 am    

Of the 2 Franklins that sold for $8000.00 one is being resold for an asking price of $12000.00 and more than likely the other one will also be offered for an increase in the future as well. This is perfectly legal and above board but why not make the extra 2 to 4 K yourself?... it just takes patience, I think a very realistic price is in the 10K range but if your guitar is in excellent shape you will get a very good price for it...,Beware the scammers and how They pay for the instrument , get cash , PayPal or certified money order and wait for it to clear! plus have the buyer pay shipping costs including insurance and packing of the guitar or have them pick it up to avoid this process. Many things can go wrong otherwise leaving you liable. Sorry for your loss and hopefully this guitar will end up in the hands of a talented musician who can genuinely appreciate it as your father did. Best of luck!

Last edited by Mike Holder on 14 Jun 2020 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 6:55 am    

Hi Valerie,
I knew Junior. I remember him from the Panhandle Opry from near DeFuniak Springs. If it only needs to be tuned and checked over, let me know, I live near Bonifay.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 7:08 am    

Judging from this picture of the steel it looks like it could use some new fret boards which may be available from Paul Franklin SR. Looks like they smudged using an abrasive cleaner.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 3:48 pm    

$8000.00 or more for sure....

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 4:54 pm    

I think Jack has given you good advice. Don't spend time and money trying to freshen it up. There is a good market for Franklin guitars.

If you can get in touch with Mr. Franklin with the serial number and describe the condition, he can give you a good idea of the worth. Besides that, he's one of the most pleasant people you will ever meet.

Then you can all decide if you want to hold out for it's full value or sell it a little quicker at a lesser price.
It's up to you.

The best of luck to you and your Mom and belated condolences on your loss.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 7:16 am    

This are for sale listings for 2 recently sold, (one by Jack Stoner), you can see the type of photos/info provided and kinds of questions people are asking.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=355144

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=358657