The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Outdoor venues, heat/sunshine, intonation
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 10:41 am    

As venues start opening again, I’m getting calls to play outside. How do you folks cope with keeping your psg in tune in direct sunlight? (There’s a canopy, typically, but late afternoon brings changing light angles & temps.)

Anybody rig up some sort of umbrella just for your footprint, something that can be repositioned easily if needed?

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 6:27 am     Outdoor Venues

Hi Chris. Playing outside can be challenging because the environment is constantly changing. Your footprint relative to the sun is always a moving target. Covers for your guitar are important, but certain fabrics don't breath and hold heat. I use a nice white bath towel. Cover your stuff on break. It breathes, and provides some UV protection. Especially important in damp night air and for wiping down. Fabrics that offer PDF protection may be even better. Outside gigs are just a matter of fact. Take care.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 9:02 am    

Maybe this? I’m looking for something too.
https://sklz.implus.com/products/shelter/sklz-versa-brella-original

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 9:08 am    

Personally I wouldn't play in direct sun light for any amount of pay.
Not good for the guitar either, at all.
Shame on the person that ask you to do that.

Last edited by Fred Justice on 16 Jun 2020 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 11:18 am     Out door gigs

Like Fred said. A nice day with moderate temps and some cover is one thing, cooking you and your gear is another.

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 2:20 pm    

I played in direct sunlight once and the fretboard bowed up off the neck and touched the strings. Once out of the Sun it went back down and adhered back to the neck. Buddy Charlton told me once the mica on the front of his guitar bowed out from the body about an inch. I have played outside since but refuse if there is no cover overhead.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 3:23 pm    

We play all county fairs and festivals. 95% all under a canopy or some sort. I do bring a white bath towel to cover my guitar and amp if needed, "OH", and a small tarp. Even under a canopy rain will blow in. One show I did a storm came up so fast I covered my gear and climbed under the tarp with it!!!! As far as heat and humidity you will be checking your tuning maybe mid way of your show. Maybe a tweek here and there with amp settings.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 7:04 pm    

I'm booked until the end of the year, and all the gigs are outdoors, on the beach. I generally hate outdoor gigs, because there is no wall to "bounce" the sound off of. But, we DO have good PA support.
But, If these gigs weren't outdoors...I would NOT be playing. Don't think it will be safe to play indoors for awhile.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 10:41 pm    

As Chris said in his OP, the sun shifts position as the gig goes on and your canopy doesn’t. The guy out on the westerly wing is going to catch some rays at some point. Late afternoons, early evenings it can be right in your face. As much as there is to gripe about outdoor gigs, turning them down is not an option for some of us. I’m liking that Versa-Brella deal, for whenever events start happening again around here. Not looking great at the moment.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2020 4:30 am    

If any of yall are playing a Sho~Bud, any sunlight will ruin the color. I just pass on outside playing. Thats why you see so many Buds a dull brownish color. Sunlight coming into a building will also ruin the color, if it hits the Bud.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2020 12:25 pm    

Hey Fred Treece, I see you're from California. You wouldn't be related to the late Tony Treece from SoCal would you? If so I knew him well from the old days......JH in Va.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2020 12:44 pm    

Jerry, though I am originally from sunny Ohio.... I had a grand uncle who lived in Southern California back in the 1930’s that was known to sow some wild seeds. So it is entirely possible I am related to Tony. Just don’t know of him.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2020 5:16 pm    

Up here in the northeast often the cold is a bigger problem than the heat. I've played a couple gigs when the temp was 50 -60 degs (even indoors). When the ambient changes that much you have a big tuning job on an all pull guitar. The pull rods change length as a function of temperature change, especially the longest ones which unfortunately are the ones we use the most, A,B, and C pedals.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2020 5:38 pm    

I think it's very important to have a good tuner, so that you can check your tuning silently and quickly at any moment. In any show I will check open strings every half-hour or so (pedals and levers seem to hold longer)… and in extreme environments (very hot or very cold), I may do a quick open-string check between every song! Strobe tuners work great for this.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 2:59 am    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
Hey Fred Treece, I see you're from California. You wouldn't be related to the late Tony Treece from SoCal would you? If so I knew him well from the old days......JH in Va.

Hi Jerry !
Long time no talk!

Cheers, Peter in South Oz Very Happy Very Happy

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 10:25 am    

If you don't want to play outside in Texas, you may not work so much... You deal with it however you can.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 11:29 am    

It's a good idea to wear a big hat. Whoa!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 12:51 pm    

Fred Justice wrote:
Personally I wouldn't play in direct sun light for any amount of pay.

In all fairness, playing outside in the direct sunlight this time of year in Mesa cannot be compared to playing outside this time of year in Minot. Or Moose Jaw. All my outside gigs playing PSG were in the Gopher State. And the ones in June were far more pleasant than the ones in January.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 12:55 pm    

Jack,
I know what you mean.
It's hard to play guitar wearing chopper mitts! Whoa!
Erv

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 11:39 am    

Since moving south I learned quick you at least need towels to cover the guitar while you are not playing it. Playing in the sun is not ideal but with outside gigs becoming more acceptable rather than small club close settings, we are going to have to deal with it, like they did back when. Hey, the lead guitarists are playing all the pedal steel licks anyway now days so I guess I'll stay at home, unless someone down here is drawing such huge crowds they can afford to hire a "steel player". Oh, wait a minute, drawing a large crowd is now frowned on...

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 12:06 pm    

Bill, I would never in a billion years have thought of using the case as a cover, and I thought I was the most logical person on the planet.

Thanks for posting! Smile

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 12:11 pm    

Ian wrote:
I would never in a billion years have thought of using the case as a cover..

I actually got that idea on crowded bar gig, the kind where people are right up against the stage... worrisome, especially when you're on break and not able to manually 'deflect' an intruder.

Turns out it also works great to eat your lunch on, or deal cards... Smile

Ryan Bramlett

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 2:29 pm    

Found myself searching this topic wanting to find folks to commiserate with. Though not at all a professional gigging musician like a lot of pros on here, I do play outdoors at church every Sunday, and direct sun is (for now, anyway) sometimes part of the bargain. Having no experience or knowledge of this sort of thing beforehand, I'm astounded at the speed with which direct sun destroys my tuning.

Am now actively seeking solutions. Tried covering during breaks with limited success. Personal umbrella with stand? maybe...not like i need another big piece of gear to lug around Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 7:21 pm    

Quote:
Personal umbrella with stand?

I have done that. After the venue people told us we would be in shade, and ended up in blazing sun. Luckily it was a private party and the neighbors had a parasol on their deck.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 7:08 am    

Yep, those promised cover at events leave much to be desired. It's a pain but I bring a fan and a attached umbrella just to be able to have some shade. Like Kevin I include a tarp for those sudden storms. You will be glad you took the time to prepare. Also power requirements are often overlooked at private parties. Heavy extension cords are essential. We use 2 50ft cords as they are easier to manage over a 100ft.