The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Levered console steel
Dean Gray

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2020 10:32 pm    

I've been having crazy thoughts lately, where I can alter individual notes of my non pedal tuning via knee levers.

I guess I am talking about a PSG without pedals, but as I learn more about my A6/9 tuning, I would love to be able to flat the maj 3rd to min, raise/lower the 5th and raise the 6th to min7 and maj7 (via half stop).

I know there are plenty of subs and slants which I love and will continue to use/learn/study, but I think these basic changes will add more utility all round.

And there is no set up time involved, other than screwing the legs in. You flip it over and 4 knee levers are waiting right there! And ideally, unlike a PSG, it would have Stringmaster or Jerry Byrd Excel string spacing.

If you are a non pedal A6 or C6 player, what 4 interval moves would you like to be a available under a straight bar?

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2020 11:56 pm    

Once you’ve introduced that level of mechanical complexity, I think you’ve left the Land of Lap Steel behind. Your idea is definitely cool and intriguing, but it seems to me that you’re talking about an entry level four-pedal lap steel with knee levers instead of pedals.

Still, no harm in exploring an interesting idea...

The more I learn, the less I know Wink
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 12:27 am    

I know nothing about lap steel, except that most of the pedals on a C6 pedal steel replicate common bar slants.

So if on a C6 non-pedal tuning you could lower G and E and raise C then you could play complete chords instead of having to miss out the unusable note that's between two frets when you slant.

I admit that this would be turning a deer into a rhinoceros, but having just levers and no pedals is a good piece of outside-the-box thinking Smile

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 2:48 am    

I built a 10 string guitar with three knee levers out of stray ShoBud, MSA and Miller parts. I keep it in either C6(with pedal 2,3+5 functions) or E13 depending on the gig. It's pretty handy.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 4:57 am    

Isn't that kinda what Carson Wells built for Tom Morrell? Not levers exactly, but here's a pic:

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 5:07 am    

Kevin, those three functions are exactly what I was thinking.
Dean's "crazy thoughts" aren't so crazy.

Dean Gray

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 5:30 am    

K Maul wrote:
I built a 10 string guitar with three knee levers out of stray ShoBud, MSA and Miller parts. I keep it in either C6(with pedal 2,3+5 functions) or E13 depending on the gig. It's pretty handy.

Kevin, thats just the kind of thing I was thinking of! I knew someone must have done it already.

I am still busy working on non-pedal techniques and waiting for my Jerry Byrd course to arrive. I reckon that will keep me busy for at least a year (or 10!), but at some point I can see the benefit in having slants AND knee levers at my disposal.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Mike, I hadn't heard of or seen that Steel of Tom's, do those levers change to different preset tunings like the Fuzzy/Excel model?

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 6:32 am    

if you want knees and no floor pedals and you want to keep it simple, then just buy you an old pedal guitar that has at least 4 knee levers and just use the knees and dont use the pedals. you could add a couple more knees going up if you wanted more. there are also wrist levers you can use. something as simple as a hip shot will get you an easy half step raise. the lowers are a bit tricky.

just beware....you are entering dangerous territory messing around with pedal guitars....Winking

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 6:48 am    

Dean Gray wrote:

Mike, I hadn't heard of or seen that Steel of Tom's, do those levers change to different preset tunings like the Fuzzy/Excel model?

Dean, no idea I'm afraid. Seems I might have even read a post at some point saying he didn't use them much if at all.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 6:53 am    

I spent many years playing non-pedal guitar.
The only reason I went to pedal steel was to give me the ability to get more full three string chords. Very Happy
Erv

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 10:24 pm    

I heard a story kind of recently about a steel player in the 50s who had a good gig with an established singer. The bandleader didn't want any 'new fangled pedal steel' nonsense on stage, but the steel player managed to sneak in a couple knee levers inconspicuously. 😅 I'm sorry I can't recall the details...
Your idea sounds great. Using an old pedal steel as mentioned above would work, except that the string spacing might be a slight issue...
For what its worth, I noticed someone listed a Fender 400 without pedals for sale here on the forum for a good price. They dont generally have levers but you could possibly find a way to rig something up.

Dean Gray

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 10:59 pm    

Andrew Frost wrote:
I heard a story kind of recently about a steel player in the 50s who had a good gig with an established singer. The bandleader didn't want any 'new fangled pedal steel' nonsense on stage, but the steel player managed to sneak in a couple knee levers inconspicuously. 😅 I'm sorry I can't recall the details...
Your idea sounds great. Using an old pedal steel as mentioned above would work, except that the string spacing might be a slight issue...
For what its worth, I noticed someone listed a Fender 400 without pedals for sale here on the forum for a good price. They dont generally have levers but you could possibly find a way to rig something up.

I love this story! Wonder who it was? I don't think I want to play with standard PSG spacing, I need at least Stringmaster spacing to hit split slants cleanly. I think the idea could work, and I'm in no rush, my D8 is more than enough for now. I think if I ever bite the bullet and do this I will commission a custom Williams steel guitar. Possibly a D10, one neck my A6/9 with levers, the other some kind of non pedal E13 or possibly diatonic. With wide string spacing. Lots to practice on my 8 string A6 first though.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2020 1:11 am    

Dean Gray wrote:
Andrew Frost wrote:

I love this story! Wonder who it was? I don't think I want to play with standard PSG spacing, I need at least Stringmaster spacing to hit split slants cleanly. I think the idea could work, and I'm in no rush, my D8 is more than enough for now. I think if I ever bite the bullet and do this I will commission a custom Williams steel guitar. Possibly a D10, one neck my A6/9 with levers, the other some kind of non pedal E13 or possibly diatonic. With wide string spacing. Lots to practice on my 8 string A6 first though.

That was Zane Beck. I’ve read some accounts that he claimed that’s how he invented knee levers. I don’t know if he was in fact the first to use them.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2020 10:38 pm    

Aha, thats cool. I wonder who he was playing with.

Interested to hear how your project pans out Dean, if you get around to it.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 4:53 am    

Andrew Frost wrote:

I think the bandleader was Paul Howard during a tenure on the Louisiana Hayride.

Fred

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 2:08 pm    

Fred wrote:
Andrew Frost wrote:

I think the bandleader was Paul Howard during a tenure on the Louisiana Hayride.

Fred

Thanks Fred.