The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help Changing Copedent on ZB style all-pull psg
John Judkins

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 12:09 pm    

Hello all! Newbie here (to the forum and psg's.)

I purchased what I've been told is a ZB style all-pull psg a few months back for $400. It looks a bit homemade and is setup/tuned to E9th and has 4 pedals and 2 knees. It is labeled as an "Ernie Beckwith 10" "EWB." I've included pictures with this post.

From my very basic and amateur research/understanding, the pedal changers all seem to be connected to unusual string choices. I can't find any educational material that teaches using the strings/levers in this way. It's been very frustrating, and I'd love to get this thing up to standards so I can begin learning properly. There are other issues with this psg, but I bought it knowing that it was a work in progress. I am an experienced guitarist and have spent many years working with a lap steel and I'm just wanting to get my foot in the door to the pedal steel world with minimal upfront costs. What was I thinking?! HA! Rolling Eyes

Anyways, here are the pedal/lever controls:
Pedal A: 4 (E),5 (B)
Pedal B: 3, 6 (G#)
Pedal C: 5, 10 (B)
Pedal D: 1, 7 (F#)
RKL: 4 (E)
RKR: 2 (D#)

I live in Nashville, and I know there are several folks locally that could take a look at it. But due to the pandemic and the fact that I have a baby on the way, I'm trying to be as safe as possible and also save money. Is changing this setup something I can do on my own? Any suggestions on my next step? Parts? Some of the pedals are sticky, and don't change back to the original tone when depressed, and the pickup has a buzz due to a loose wire. And there are other things wrong, as well. But I'm not looking for perfection. Just looking to get my brain and body working in unison on this thing.

HUGE thanks in advance for any suggestions/help. Here are a few pictures. I can take more and upload, if need be.

Last edited by John Judkins on 3 Jun 2020 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 1:04 pm    

It's not push-pull. It appears to be some sort of hybrid or knock-off of a ZB guitar, perhaps with some ZB parts, and with a few "embellishments". The undercarriage mechanism with the flat levers is the same style as ZB, appears to be ZB style all-pull. I'm not sure what if anything is actual ZB parts though. The end plates look ZB but the key head and changer housing do not.

The copendent looks like fairly standard "Day" setup, what did you want to change about it?

There are several ZB aficionados on the forum, perhaps one of them will see this and can offer more insights. You might want to replace the word "push/pull" with "ZB" in your subject title so that the right folks notice your post.

Last edited by Ian Worley on 3 Jun 2020 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Judkins

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 1:06 pm    

Thanks for the clarification. I'll change the subject line. Appreciate it!

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 1:29 pm    

As Ian said, it looks like a pretty standard Day setup, more/less. If you want to change to Emmons, look carefully & see if you can swap the rods between the A & C pedals.

If the main problem is sluggish changes and not returning to pitch, try cleaning the changer with naptha, and then use TriFlow to lube it. Also try cleaning the roller nut and it's shaft, and lube it.

It does have some similarities with a ZB. But I can't really see the changer, so I don't know how that works.
Good luck!