The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender fs52 Remodel
Dustin Schrimpsher

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 11:05 am    

Over priced and virtually unplayable, the Chinese made Fender FS52 is nobody’s favorite steel guitar. It is, however my first. I bought it about 13 years ago and played “at” it for a long time. When I really started getting serious about learning lap steel I realized that the reflective fret board made the instrument unusable and the sound was ice pick bright. So, with that I set out to improve the tone and playability.

Fret board had to go, I bought a CNCed wooden board on ebay for $15. Not pretty bud certainly good enough.

I had a bridge position pickup out of a Mex Strat, so I replaced the pickup. The output increased however the sharp, scratching high tone was still there. 1. the pickup is only a few millimeters from the bridge. 2. The tone pot is 1meg (for some reason) and is either all the way on or all the way off. 3. The tone pot appears to be a .022 uf, which seems reasonable.

Here is my plan (please comment with words of great wisdom and compassion)
1. I’m going to replace the 1meg pot with a 250k.
2. Replace the tone cap with a .047 just in case
3. Treble bleed on the volume pot

Should I shunt the pickup with a 180k resistor.

I feel like the pickup placement is the biggest problem but as there is nothing to be done there, I’m hoping these mods will set me strait.

Thanks folks!
‘
-dustin