The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Benson 300H
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 3:25 pm    

Anybody ever seen one of these?

I have a multitude of questions, most of which Revolve around the EQ unit which is missing and the fuzz which isn’t working properly. Mostly, though, I am interested in knowing anyone who has had one and has any experience with them. It has a solid-state channel and a fully tube channel, never seen that before. Traded into it and trying to decide if I want to spend the day to get it perfect. It’s a Howard Roberts design, so I know there’s got to be someone who knows about it

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 19 May 2020 4:08 am     Benson amps

http://utstat.utoronto.ca/mikevans/hroberts/guitars/benson.html

P.w

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 1:04 pm    

Spent a few days with this thing and I am quite taken with it. The two side with the effects is interesting but you have to play it loud to make it sound good. I don’t have an issue module for it and I assume that’s negatively affecting the experience tooSpent a few days with this thing and I am quite taken with it. The two side with the effects is interesting but you have to play it loud to make it sound good. I don’t have an EQ module for it and I assume that’s negatively affecting the experience too. The fuzz is marginal but the tremolo circuit is magnificent

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 2:46 pm    

used to have one. bought it over at atlanta discount for $75. burned out the triad output transformer. never got it back on the air. i may still have the cabinet modded to an extension speaker.

these were made in LA. back in the 70s. the plug in transformers were encased in epoxy so you cant find out what was in them.

they came in several speaker configurations...even a four 12 i think.

where did you find yours, they dont show up too often.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 4:28 pm    

I got it from a young fella in east Atlanta. Other than missing the footswitch and the module this one is pretty good. The fuzz is kind of awful.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 4:32 pm    

back when that amp was new, nobody knew what was good fuzz and what was bad fuzz.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 8:03 pm    

Yes.
It was made by Ron Benson, who was a studio guitarist in LA in the 60’s. Howard Roberts was involved in the development. I’m not sure if he had some financial interest as well, but he used the amps. And there are many photos of him with them.
There are still working amps around. I know 2 guitar players that have one, and they like them.
John

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 8:22 pm    

i might still have the preamp plug in, but finding it would be very difficult in my shop. that was years ago when i had that thing. i will make a quick look tomorrow if i can remember it.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 4:26 pm    

The basic cabinet and grille are pretty much like a Woodson amp, made in Bolivar MO in the 70s and 80s. Not that it makes a bit of difference.