The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice Satisfaction?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 7:56 am    

I am rarely if ever satisfied with my practice times.

It is hard work and progress is slow.

(Bear in mind I have been playing steel guitar for almost 60 years, and pedal steel for 50 years.

I took lessons when I was young, and progressed swiftly. Played professionally, Toured with bands, did hundreds of recording sessions.

I made records and several of my songs sold well and got national airplay.)

But, truth be told I am only playing at the same level (or a little less) than I did 40 years ago.

I struggle to learn new licks, and I give up too soon.
I notice this mostly when I record a steel track.

PART OF THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE COVID ISOLATION... I miss playing with other musicians. I feel I was always pushed to play better when I was with a good band.

Now I don't even want to put on my picks and sit behind my instrument today. Crying or Very sad

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 9:15 am    

One thing that never fails to inspire me to practice (with heart) is listening to a great recording. Sometimes it’s not even a favorite artist or a familiar tune or even a steel guitar part. It only takes a few minutes for me to get off my ass and holy crap can I play that? I gotta play that!

Keep the faith, keep playing and learning. This is a time when players are getting in touch with what’s important for growth. I think some great music is going to come out of the end of this thing.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 9:27 am    

I've been playing music for 60 years, but only the last 7 or so on pedal steel. So my years of picking things up quickly are gone.

If I practise every day I make slow but generally satisfying progress. If I miss more than the odd day I go backwards. I'm darned if I'm going to throw away what I've invested so far - that's enough incentive for me to practise Smile

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 12:25 pm    

I don't like how when I practice and get good at one thing, my skills in other things get stale. If that kind of whack-a-mole is just how it's going to be, then I have a lot of frustration to look forward to.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 1:02 pm    

Oh, sure, things I learnt before get submerged by new things, but I find my speed at re-learning is improving.

I don't expect to keep all the balls in the air all the time - I only need to be on top of a couple of dozen things at once.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 4:16 pm    

Well, I'm feeling young at having only been playing music for 55 years or so. But for me, practice can be frustrating because I know I'm no longer able to play like I could in the 60s's and 70's. Old age creeps up on us and we end up having to compensate. That's not all bad.

But it's OK, because I have a son who plays better than I ever did, and I've still had some opportunities during lock down to do some recording via lockbox with other folks. Virtual gigs beats no gigs at all. All in all, I've been enjoying my practice time.

Dave

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 5:37 pm    

I love playing out with a live band. The down time has been some what of a relief. I have been enjoying playing along with rhythm tracks and YouTube. If anything I am staying tight for when we go back to playing. To late in the game to loose any sleep over it. I enjoy what I am able to do.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 6:11 pm    

I have the same problem with inertia. These are strange times. I have taken a few different approaches. I signed up for the Paul Franklin coarse and am focusing on the C6 part while working my way through the rest of it. I'm relooking at everything involved in playing. I'm also organizing and cleaning up lingering unfinished projects. I'm also spending a bunch time working on recording at home. I've comissioned a few composers to write music for the pedalsteel which should keep me busy for a couple more lifetimes.
The trick seems to be remembering to be kind to others. Especially my wife who is stuck in with me. If I can manage that the days can be pretty sweet.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 6:45 pm    

I too am never satisfied with my practice time but if I didn't do it,the rest of the band wouldn't be satisfied with me.

All my practice centers around learning licks for all the cover bands I work with.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 3:17 pm    

I get energy, inspiration and a lot of satisfaction from transcribing steel parts from records that sound unique and interesting to me. Currently working on a few from Mike Johnson. Switched recently to Transcribe! to help the process.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 3:59 pm    

1965 and the Rolling Stones can't get no satisfaction. I'm used to playing with tracks and Youtube so this is nothing new. Gigs are so far apart in my area so it's more of a hobby. I have fun trying out other rigs and new material but satisfaction is far from my results. I believe this may be a taste of the new normal.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 May 2020 12:22 am    

its quit a dilemma for sure , we have more time, much more , but strangely don't put it to use the way we may want to.

I still practice but apparently when I had less time I practiced more ! Without the goal of the gig coming up soon , it seems like its easy to get complacent or just flat out lazy !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2020 7:42 pm    

I recently started taking lessons from Johnny Cox. C6th only. That has inspired me to play a lot and I’m really enjoying mt practice time. Student for life

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 2:00 am    

Student for life, Nice phrase !

Part of the deal with many of us who are busy in one band or another, is we prep for those gigs, those bands, those set lists . There really isn't much time left to explore. and even if we did, who are we gonna play it with ? So we fall back to the "PUNTING" position, gig prep.

One band I play with and have for 15 years, god forbid we play a Steel Instrumental , but ts the nature of the set list. Currently I am on B Bender guitar 100% of the time with this band now. We actually brought in another very seasoned Steel player

Band #2, a bi-monthly gig, just the opposite, I am required to front two songs each show. I can do this on Steel , Guitar or even "sing" a song. Here's the deal with this band, we have ( had pre covid) a regular attendance of near 100, each show. I may prepare a new Steel song, then what happens ? I get requests for Danny Boy or Last Date, AGAIN ! Some new folks come in and tell me they came to hear Danny Boy on the Steel ! So, we oblige. The song I prepped gets shelved, even forgotten ! This happens to each of us in the band. Evidently Farewell Party is STILL A BIG HIT ! Very Happy

A few months back, a gal came in , never saw her before, she asks if I can play Danny Boy, ok, well sure. I can fake Buddy as good as anyone ! So when its my turn up, we do, I do, she comes and stands next to me and calls someone on the phone and holds the phone so the person on the other end can hear. when the song was over I asked her about that, she said it was her friend in Nashville who plays Steel ! I asked the name but didn't recognize it. She did ask though. "Is that a Push Pull" ? I said No, A Legrande II, the Push Pull is at home ! Funny !

Oh well...

So we practice, prepare and then return back to the beginning again ! It could be worse, practice, prepare and NO GIG. Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website