The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA D12 pedal setup info help wanted
Joe Stoebenau

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 1:16 pm    

Hi all,
I recently acquired an MSA D12 from about the mid 60’s. Serial No. 20087. I would like to find out the year if possible.
I got it from the original owner. Extended E9 and Extended C6.
It is intact but at some point was taken apart and put back together but none of the pulls were adjusted.
I’m familiar with the later 70’s MSA classic with the round cross shafts which is what I normally play but this older system is very different but doesn’t look overly difficult...yet.
I will need some parts such as the springs on the changer which are different. (Already broke one and they look corroded)Haven’t found them yet. Anyone know where to get them?
The unusual part is that it has 12 pedals! The guy ordered it that way from the factory. Also 4 knees which are all for the extended E9 neck along with the 3 pedals. The other 9 pedals are all for the C6 neck. Actually set up for Bb6 tuning he said. I’m wondering if the extra pedals take the place of knee levers. The owner doesn’t remember why he ordered it this way.
It’s been in the case for 40 years or so and it’s an great shape. My plan is to get it into playable condition and see what the extended tunings are like.

On the Extended C6 tuning what do people like for the 2 extra strings higher or lower?
Thanks!
[/img]

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 3:28 pm     Re: MSA D12 pedal setup info help wanted

Joe Stoebenau wrote:
On the Extended C6 tuning what do people like for the 2 extra strings higher or lower?

I've seen both at once, for instance solving the question of whether to tune the top string to G or D by having one of each, and then an extra bass string, maybe a low F.

Another idea for the top two strings is to tune them F and D so they interleave like on the E9

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 6:58 pm    

Ian's 1st response is the more common setup. That is a pre-micro MSA from the 60's and is very ZB like in the crosshafts and the pedal/lever adjustments. I probably have some parts around if needed.

Joe Stoebenau

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 3:41 pm    

Ian and Jim, thanks for the reply.
I like the idea of the D and G on top. I have the G on top currently on my MSA Classic D10 and have been wanting to go to the D. Now I can have both.

I'm also wondering about the 9 pedals on the C6 neck. was this normal back in the day? Did MSA make build many 12 pedal guitars?

I'll keep you in mind Jim if I run into problems, thanks.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 4:24 pm    

Joe Stoebenau wrote:
Did MSA make build many 12 pedal guitars?

I don't think anybody did! I think you're right that some of those 9 pedals would be replaced by levers nowadays, probably 4 of them.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 7:00 pm    

That's an oldie all right, Joe! I'd guess it to be a late '60s guitar. Maybe around 1969?

Joe Stoebenau

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 2:19 pm    

Thanks Donnie,
Could be. The owner said he thought he ordered it around 1964 but wasn't sure.
I've never seen anyone playing the 12 string extended tunings. Were there more of them around in the 60's ?
This guitar is such a time capsule I'm looking forward to hearing at some point after much work.