The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Paul Franklin Collection
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 5:33 am    

From the premiere pedal steel instruction course "The Paul Franklin Method", to the C6th starter kit "C6 Essentials", to the popular trail-blazing beginner and intermediate courses "Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics" and "Applications: E9 Pedal Steel Toolbox", to his exhaustive "E9 Pedal Steel Vocabulary", to his Master Class with Tommy White "Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Vol. 1", there's a Paul Franklin course suitable for every serious student.

Click here for more info: Paul Franklin Courses

Learn from Pedal Steel and Musician's Hall of Famer Paul Franklin at your own speed, 24/7 with streaming video lessons.

Photo: Sam Hinchey

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2020 6:12 am    

As a returning player, I have been using Jeff Newman Up from the Top because it was very helpful the first time I started playing. A few months ago, I bought the E9 Basics course from Paul Franklin and it really built on the foundation that Newman teaches in his course. Franklin takes the scale positions and expands on them to include a cool Diatonic Pattern that works amazingly well as what I would call a "bail me out of trouble" scale of pattern.

I recently bought this E9 toolbox course. I really like the structure of the lessons in that now Franklin is building on the scale positions he taught in the first E9 course to show how to use them as fills and movements from chord to chord. Really, what good is learning something if the teacher never mentions using it in a practical setting? What he also teaches, which is a major interest to me, is how different key patterns can be played over each other and still work, not just the Diatonic pattern, but also major chord patterns. He does NOT overly complicated it with technical terms that seem to scare a lot of players either, in fact, Franklin seldom uses the term scale and has not used the term Mode at all so far. If you want to learn to create your own fills, intros and outros, these two Franklin course are the place to get that information. For what its worth, there is a section in the E9 toolbox called Applying the Harmonized Scale. That 14 minutes is a goldmine of backing the singer ideas.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2020 12:09 pm    

Thanks for the kind words, James, we really appreciate it and are thrilled to hear you are having success with the courses.

For those who are already or have previously enrolled in the Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics course, we'd like to remind you that if you decide to continue with the Applications: E9 Pedal Steel Toolbox course, we include an additional 12-months access to the Foundations lessons. Paul felt it was essential to make sure continuing students can refer back to lessons they learned in Foundations as they advance through the Toolbox course material.

Both enrollment fees for Foundations and/or Toolbox can be applied to enrollment in The Paul Franklin Method at any time. For players wanting to ease into learning via Paul's method, this is a great way to do so.

For example, you could spend 9-12 months in Foundations for just $99, enroll in Toolbox for 12 months for another $99 (and get ANOTHER 12 months of Foundations for free), spend a year working on both of those courses and then apply the total of $189 towards the Method.

All of the lessons in Foundations and Toolbox are taken from the Method...and Method students have access to the new $129 Paul Franklin's E9 Pedal Steel Vocabulary course for the duration of their enrollment at no charge.

Lots of new developments in the works at MMM this year, we'll be announcing more amazing courses soon!

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2020 5:50 pm    

I’ve been playing/learning pedal steel since 1968 at 8 years old. There has never been a teaching course such as Paul’s since I started. Paul’s course has so much to offer to anyone who loves the sound of pedal steel guitar. I started learning from a Neil Flanz Sho-Bud course back in the day. Paul’s method is much more detailed and deep.
I still visit Paul’s method daily. Just the best ever.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2020 7:24 pm    

UPDATE
By popular request, we are currently working on a C6 Toolbox: Expanding The Fretboard course, a collection of both brand new and selected Paul Franklin Method lessons.

It is designed for C6 Essentials students (or players already at that skill level) and features detailed explorations of positions, pockets, pedal usage and chordal and single-note improv concepts on the C6 tuning.

The lessons are packed with real-world examples of the concepts Paul uses in his own playing, showcasing the logic and versatility of tuning and its ability to be used in any genre. This is the material you need to "expand the neck": moving confidently from chord to chord in any progression, using chord tones and extensions for single note improv, adding altered tones to create harmonic and melodic interest and much more.

As with our other $99 courses, all of the lessons will be found in The Paul Franklin Method, and you can apply the $99 enrollment in C6 Toolbox to the Method at any time. If you are a current or former C6 Essentials student, you'll get an additional 12-months of access to that material when you enroll in C6 Toolbox: Expanding the Fretboard.

We are planning to have it available by the end of the year or in early 2021, so stay tuned!

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2020 8:02 pm    

He added an extended diatonic course today that's a REAL door opener. I mean really useful and totally insightful. Thanks.