The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Darick Campbell
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 5:22 am    

Campbell Brothers lap-steel guitarist Darick Campbell passed away early this morning following a prolonged illness.

Darick was a soulful and inventive musician. I'll never forget his music. As he played this jaw-dropping version of "End of My Journey" at Mirror Image Studio in 1997 in Gainesville for the Campbell Brothers' first Arhoolie album, I was goose bumps all over. Many more great recordings and performances followed.

Darick was known for playing very expressive original musical lines. "I don't know how he comes up with that stuff," his pedal-steel playing brother, Chuck, would say. "I can't do it."

Rest in peace Darick. Judy and I send our love to the family.

"End of My Journey": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpVjrCjRPNs

His classic rendering of Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU2VU1HqMNA

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 3:47 pm    

Such sad news, Bob. I know he was a close friend as well as a great talent that’s been lost.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 6:06 pm    

Also being discussed in our Gone Home section.

RIP Mr. Campbell. You were great!

Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 4:29 am    

Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Posted 12 May 20 5:21am

The Sacred Steel world, has lost a great musician. No one individual could play Sam Cook`s rendition of "Being Born By the river, as he could", and so many beautiful songs that the "Campbell Brothers" could play. May God receive him with Joy, as we here struggle with the knowledge of life, but that someday we will all join together once again, in that heavenly Sacred Steel Band called The Campbell Brothers, once more. Until then Brother Derrick rest on,
The Sacred Steel family, Brother Del Grace,
Bishop Ronnie Phillip Hall, and all of our Sacred Steel Family, Rest On, Son, Rest On

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 3:22 pm    

I cut & pasted this from my post in "Gone Home"

-----------------------------------------------
A little story of when I first met Darick and his brothers.....in 1999 a brand new Christmas festival was going to take place in NYC....it was called Winter's Eve and took place at Lincoln Center with a tree lighting ceremony and music...there was music at the tree lighting with a choir and The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra lead by Wynton Marsalis.....there was also music by various bands and artists playing at the local nearby stores such as Eddie Bauer, Tower Records, Bed Bath and Beyond etc.....

I had been a member of The Steel Guitar Forum for a couple of years and had recently heard of Sacred Steel....it was a "new" thing.....and I saw that The Campbell Brothers were going to be playing at Tower Records as part of this new fest.....so, I left from work and headed uptown for the festivities......after the tree lighting, the choir, the jazz orchestra (and it was all glorious) I went over to Tower Records.....

The Campbell Bros had set up in a space on the floor (there was no platform) and played the first of two short sets....there wasn't more than 40 people total, after all, it was a new festival that wasn't heavily marketed and The Campbell Bros and Sacred Steel were not really known in this area....but it was a nice intimate concert where you could get up real close.....

After their first set they were just hanging around speaking with people, answering questions, and speaking about their history of playing Sacred Steel.....I wandered over and was examining Darick's guitar.....back then he played an 8 string Fender Deluxe (Stringmaster)....now I had come from a dobro background mostly and played a little on 6 string lap steel.....and I was an ok basic player, nothing more.....Darick saw me checking out his guitar (I would say that nobody in the crowd knew what a steel guitar was especially since Darick and Chuck were explainging to people what they were) and called out "You can try it, just put the bar on the strings and slide it"....Darick had left the pwer on, faced the guitar to the audience and left his bar on it so that people could try it if they wanted to.....I never played an 8 string at that time so I slowly strummed the open strings to hear what kind of tuning it was....it was a fairly familiar major tuning but there was 1 string in the middle that sounded odd to me, but I figured that if (or when) I hit it, I could just slide up until it sounded right.....so I took a deep breath and ripped off a pretty groovy hot blues lick.....well, all of The Campbell Brothers looked up very surprised and Chuck blurted out "he knows what he's doing".....actually that was just about my entire repertoire.....then they were asking me who I played with and where I gigged and I explained that I was just a hobbyist and bedroom player.....but they were so gracious, personable, and fun and we became friends....I had seen them a few times at various venues over the years and it was always wonderful to connect with them and catch up....

RIP Darick, it was a pleasure and honor to know you....my condolences and sympathy to the entire family......

PS......After my little performance I asked Darick what tuning he had on the Fender, and he told me E6.....so it was that 6th note that was not familiar to me but as I said, it was just a slight ascending slide to give me that dominant 7th which kept me within context......I don't know if Darick used the E6 going forward because usually, Sacred Steel tunings are dom 7th based.....regardless of whether he did or didn't, he made his steel sing beautifully......Darick will always be remembered....
----------------------------------------------------

Darick started off with the Fender S8 Deluxe but really found his voice with the Sierra.....the Sierra has a more full body, bassy/midrange tone as compared to the Fender treble & twang......I remember Darick playing a black Sierra years ago and then switching to a cherry Sierra.....so I guess it's just a matter of finding that right ax that speaks to you.....

Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 9:17 am    

What a musician, what a tone and what kind a person. Bob you really gave us all a gift by helping the Campbells get out into the world. RIP Darick

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 10:03 am    

Thanks Marc.

The Campbells are exceptional folks, and Darick's music was magical--straight from the heart. The whole sacred steel journey has been a privilege and a great pleasure.

Darick will be missed by many.

Jonathan Scherer

Stehekin, Washington
Post  Posted 19 May 2020 8:44 pm    

So sad. What an incredible, individual and inspiring voice he has on lap steel.

Marc Stone, that was a great tribute you honored Darick with on your Soul Serenade show last week.

Bob Stone, thank you for all your work documenting Sacred Steel.

Rest In Peace Mr. Darick Campbell.

Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 7:45 pm    

Such a huge loss...Darick was as humble a man as he was a talented musician. I got to play with him on a couple of different occasions, and to him, music was always a ministry first, and an art form second...but that never stopped him from wiping the floor with me onstage, lol!

It's so sad knowing that the he and Chuck will no longer be creating that magic, but I'm so grateful that I had a chance to learn from those guys...and believe me, I've stolen plenty of their licks!

RIP Brother Darick.

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 5:53 am     Darick Campbell

Just wanted to give Honor to GOD for the life and music of Darick Campbell. He really made that Sierra sang annointedly....BLESSINGS TO YOU ALL, may the works we've done in this life, speak for us....

Dwight

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 12:02 pm     "A Change is Gonna Come"

With some musicians, I get a feeling of knowing that person by listening to their playing. I think it a very rare quality. Darick Campbell is one of those people.

Attached is a link to a song featuring Darick that really touches me.

Marc Stone, I didn't ask your permission to post this video. I hope I have your blessing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4foto2xtPw

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 5:15 pm     Darick Campbell

Yes, that song is very soulful when sang....Campbell took it to a whole different level. My opinion.

Dwight