The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning and Pedal Problems MSA Red Baron (Newby)
Michael Taylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 12:57 pm    

Hey all !

I am new to steel playing and this forum and am hoping for some support. I have been playing with an MSA Red Baron and am having trouble with getting things in tune.

My B Strings when depressed (A pedal) are raising the high B to C# but the Lowest B is only being raised to almost C but flat. I have tried to lower that strings overall tension down but the allen key stops out before I can get the there.

I down loaded the antiquated MSA literature from the web and have followed the instructions on tuning and given the bridge limitations in the allen key I can't do as instructed.

Only other thing I can think of is adjusting the tension on the rod to raise the pedal pitch to C#

What am I missing here ?

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2021 9:09 pm    

Hi Michael,
I am not familiar with the Red Baron, as I had not worked on one. However, I think it is a pull-release system. One of the rods there has a knurled knob on it. I would figure it is for tuning... is the other one missing? A full pic of your changer and pedal hookup may help get the ball rolling. ......Pat.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2021 9:21 pm    

The Red Baron and Sidekick pedals tune using the keys on top of the guitar. Use the allen screws at the endplate to tune the open no pedals note.

Hold the pedal down that you want to tune while tuning, release the pedal and tune the open note with the allen screw at the end plate.

I used to have one of these, but I've forgotten what the knurled knob does. If I recall, I believe it works with the C pedal as it pulls the 5th string also.

I would re-visit the manual and be sure you are following the correct steps in tuning.

There is not a manual for the Red Baron here, but the Sidekick I'm linking to is the same procedure. If you follow those instructions you should be good.
https://www.steelguitar.com/manuals/MSA_Sidekick_OwnersManual.pdf

Robert Pastore

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 6:20 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
The Red Baron and Sidekick pedals tune using the keys on top of the guitar. Use the allen screws at the endplate to tune the open no pedals note.

Hold the pedal down that you want to tune while tuning, release the pedal and tune the open note with the allen screw at the end plate.

I used to have one of these, but I've forgotten what the knurled knob does. If I recall, I believe it works with the C pedal as it pulls the 5th string also.

I would re-visit the manual and be sure you are following the correct steps in tuning.

There is not a manual for the Red Baron here, but the Sidekick I'm linking to is the same procedure. If you follow those instructions you should be good.
https://www.steelguitar.com/manuals/MSA_Sidekick_OwnersManual.pdf

He is tuning it correctly -
Michael Taylor wrote:
I have tried to lower that strings overall tension down but the allen key stops out before I can get the there.

The issue is the allen key is at the end.

The first thing i would try is to back the allen key all the way out. (leave maybe a few turns from the top) then re tune the string normally and re try the allen key for the stop.

Dave Dube

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 9:58 pm    

How about using a heavier gauge string?