The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newby.....to the Forum & Pedal Steel
Richard D. Brown

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2020 6:01 am    

Hello, I am on a search for a specific pedal steel instrument. I have been around pedal steel most of my life, played guitar with some very good steel players and tip my humble hat to everyone that can play one of those mechanical wonders. That said, I dabble with lap steel (6 & Cool and love the 6th tunings. I have made an attempt & don't care to chase the E9 or U12. I am only interested in locating an S10 specifically built for C6. (I have a nostalgic attraction to the Sho Bud Pro 1 and have seen just one picture of such a guitar.) Is there hope of ever finding "that" guitar?
DB

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2020 6:26 am    

Sure thing: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=222191

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 9 May 2020 6:32 am    

Basically, if you want a fairly modern C6 tuning, you are looking for a single 10 that has 4 pedals and 5 levers, or 5 pedals and 4 levers as a minimum. That can get you a fairly loaded C6 setup. Many will tell you you only need 5 pedals and 1 lever - that was standard maybe 50 years ago, but Buddy E and others had more levers by the end of the 80's.

They exist, or you can order one. Best deal going for new would be to get on Doug Earnest's waiting list for a Zumsteel Encore - I know he will build 4 pedals/5 knees. Not sure if he will do the inverse.

You will find 4x5 used pro model steels for sale here regularly - it would not be that difficult to change it to a C6 setup.

Sho-Bud Pro 1, most likely will come with 3 pedals and 4 levers at most - so not really ideal for the purpose. On rare occasion you see one set up with 5 pedals and 1 lever, so presumably was for C6, but as I say, these days most serous C6 players want more levers.

This topic comes up fairly often - most recently within the past couple of months. Do some searches and you will get other opinions.

Last edited by Douglas Schuch on 9 May 2020 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 9 May 2020 10:42 am    

I've been watching "For sale" pretty closely for, I dunno, a while and I remember an excel and maybe a couple 6140's listed. I think there were other excels that came e9 with lock levers so you could do one of the 6th tunings.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=348512

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=355964

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 9 May 2020 3:06 pm    

Sho-Bud 6140...
Sgl neck with 6 pedals, originally designed to be a C6 guitar. And if you find an early one, with the pedals centered on the body, even better.

Then again, if you want to load it up with knee levers, then a newer brand is better.
There's not a lot of real estate under a 6140 to add a bunch of KL's.

Richard D. Brown

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2020 5:38 pm     Newby.....to the Forum & Pedal Steel

Thanks to all for the info. I'll continue my hunt and perhaps with a little luck, I'll find that diamond in the rough.