The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Panda Pots with B-6 stamp.
Robert W Wilson

Palisade, Western Colorado
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 2:24 pm    

The tone pot on this panda does not function. Sounds like it is turned all the way down. Both pots have B-6 stamped on the side. The pickup works great, volume pot is clean, plays very sweet but warm. No serial# I could find.

If the solder joints are good, what pot type/value for replacement? Suggestions regarding the wiring and cap are appreciated.

I will likely tackle this myself unless someone can recommend a trustworthy technician in Grand Junction CO.

Thank you

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 3:06 pm    

I would replace that old 0.05 microfarad capacitor with a new one. It doesn't need to be a 200 V.D.C. either
Henry

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 10:05 pm    

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? Measure the resistance of the pots. I’m guessing that it would be 250K(250,000) ohms.

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 1:07 am    

If you have a meter check the resistance between the two lugs which have connections on the tone pot in full on and full off positions.
I'd be reluctant to just replace that original pot without checking if it is functional and if not at least attempting a repair.
You could also check the capacitor by disconnecting it from the pot to see if that makes a difference.
If the capacitor is bad I'd be inclined to bore it out and put a modern one in the original casing.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 5:02 pm    

Jeff Highland wrote:
If you have a meter check the resistance between the two lugs which have connections on the tone pot in full on and full off positions.
I'd be reluctant to just replace that original pot without checking if it is functional and if not at least attempting a repair.
You could also check the capacitor by disconnecting it from the pot to see if that makes a difference.
If the capacitor is bad I'd be inclined to bore it out and put a modern one in the original casing.

Agree. Check the pots with a meter. I'd also be wary of trashing the vintage cap without checking if it's functional as well. If you don't have a meter, take it to a guitar tech. You don't want to go messing around with a vintage instrument like that.

Robert W Wilson

Post  Posted 11 May 2020 1:56 pm    

The tone pot measured 3.8 - 1745 ohms. Volume pot 3.8 - 1035 ohms. Its a Fluke meter with a new battery so those numbers should be right. I flushed them with D5 and they were clean. Perfect condition I believe.
The pot plate is not grounded to the guitar or the jack. Jumped it for a test, no change.

I am going to meet with the tech at our most reputable music store and let him evaluate it.

The original workmanship under the hood is sorry looking, not what I expected. No plans to ever sell it so if I have the wiring cleaned up and re-paint the panels, will I be committing an unpardonable sin?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 2:37 pm    

If it was mine, I would not paint it. It looks just fine to me. My B6 is the best sounding electric guitar (Hawaiian or Spanish) I've ever played. Have you tried a different tone cap? Good luck!

ps -- If you find a good tech in GJ, please clue me in. I usually spend a fair amount of time in Clifton every summer.

Robert W Wilson

Post  Posted 11 May 2020 5:16 pm    

Not gonna paint, cuts into valuable practice time. Already farted around for hours with the electrics. If it needs a cap I would like to test some other values. This guitar sounds beautiful with C6 tuning, lower tunings are too warm. A functioning tone pot should unleash its soul.

Let me know if you come to Clifton Jack, it’s only 8 miles away. I can show you my ‘37 Epi Electar horseshoe, it is awesome.

I will post the findings on the B6. I am using the tech at a highly respected family music business.

Last edited by Robert W Wilson on 18 May 2020 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Highland

Post  Posted 11 May 2020 11:01 pm    

This may be helpful
http://www.horseshoemagnets.com/userfiles/rickwiring.jpg
Later reostat scheme?
Those readings are probably the resistance through the pickup rather than the pot far too low for the pot.
Looks like the capacitor is acting as a resistor which it should not do.

Robert W Wilson

Post  Posted 12 May 2020 7:12 am    

Yes the later scheme. I've been looking for that dwg. This forum is awesome! Thanks to all contributors!

Robert W Wilson

Post  Posted 17 May 2020 6:09 am    

Picked up my Panda expecting a new cap and perhaps some wiring cleanup. Tech was gone, shop owner said the wiring was wrong and gave me a bag with my old cap and my old pots! Huh? “As long as he was in there you need to get those old pots out.”
This is why I have to learn how to do everything for myself. Glad it wasn’t a kidney.

With a .047 cap and Ernie Ball 250 k pots I have tone control. Don’t like the blah character, sounds thin and far away. I will try different strings and eq.

Last edited by Robert W Wilson on 19 May 2020 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Highland

Post  Posted 17 May 2020 1:58 pm    

Now the pots are out and disconnected check them again for value. I'd suspect it was just the capacitor shorted that was giving the problem..
As far as being wired wrong, I can understand why the tech thought that, the original wiring scheme is unusual
won't take much to put it back the way it was.

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 7:52 am    

Robert W Wilson wrote:
Picked up my Panda expecting a new cap and perhaps some wiring cleanup. Tech was gone, shop owner said the wiring was wrong and gave me a bag with my old cap and my old pots! Huh? “As long as he was in there you need to get those old pots out.”

Ouch!!! That's painful to even think about.

Robert W Wilson

Post  Posted 19 May 2020 12:47 pm    

Jeff Highland wrote:
Now the pots are out and disconnected check them again for value. I'd suspect it was just the capacitor shorted that was giving the problem..
As far as being wired wrong, I can understand why the tech thought that, the original wiring scheme is unusual
won't take much to put it back the way it was.

Pots measure 3.6-1994 ohms volume and 4.0-1754 ohms tone. 2k pots? The shafts were cut down, sloppily. These must not be original. No wonder it sounded really warm.

The tech did a nice clean install. No more whining for me.