The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sterling Silver Picks
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2020 11:54 am    

Thanks, Gary.
I decided to order a pair, so now I'll see how they look and feel myself. Can't lose with a full guarantee, either.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 12:51 am    

I just got my set and I must say they are the best picks I have ever worn. They are so comfy and the non-slip bumps on the inside are genius.

They are top quality and worth every penny!

I've just written a begging letter asking for a matching thumb pick!

Gary Reed

Post  Posted 31 May 2020 12:56 am    

Very Cool!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 5:54 pm    

They're here, and they're insanely cool but difficult to photograph. The tone is warm w/soft attack, I change the way I pick and go a little deeper in to volume pedal. And like Mr. Landis says, no hitting the wound strings with sharp edge of blades anymore.

The only issue is that my thumbpicks sound pretty different except BCs and i need to get one to fit a little further up my index finger

Lousy family photo

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 5:29 pm    

It took a few tries to get things right, but I now have a set of nickel picks that I like from Landis Studios.
I tried the silver ones first; seemed good, so I returned the skull set for an engraved set. They looked great, but ultimately the tone was a bit too dark for my taste. I was then able to return the engraved silver set for an engraved nickel set, and while the tone is warm, it's neither dark nor as bright as my JF picks. My quest is at an end.
These picks have a different feel than the JF picks I've been using, but the idea of having 'teeth' on the inside was a stroke of genius. They will not slip off.
It may take a bit of adjusting - the thickness of the metal means less striking force is needed - but I believe it will be worth it.
I want to publicly thank Ron Landis for graciously accepting returns and working with me. Even with the back-and-forth, Ron was still willing to issue a refund, but that won't be necessary now. I'm keeping these.
Frenzel MB-50 head.

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2020 3:46 pm    

As a metal Detectorist and beginner lap steeler, I’d like the skull one to wear on a chain.

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 5:11 am    

I have a new style in the works. This is a set of prototypes that did not work out for technical reasons too complicated and boring to explain. I have a new die in the works and should have them in production in about two weeks.

I mostly wanted to show this blade shape, as I've noticed a lot of steelers want a smaller blade like this. I can also modify them to a very sharp point similar to the Ernie Ball pointy picks. Just make a note in the ordering instructions. Very pointy picks cost more, but I will modify them to this shape at no extra charge. And again, I offer a money back guarantee. If you don't like them, you can exchange them, let me modify them to your requirements, or just return for full refund.

Handmade in the U.S.A.

Bob Sigafoos

San Clemente, Calif. , U.S.
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 6:32 pm     Good Pix

I got a silver pair of Ron's picks and tried them out. The dinky spoon shape was a dud as far as i'm concerned for playing steel guitar. Ron offered to reshape them similar to all the other pick shapes as far as the string striking area which he did for me (like the photo in the previous post). No problem with the band around the finger fitting well. These things as reshaped are great! The convex dimples inside the band are a great idea. No spit or rosin needed. They sound a wee bit darker than my favorite Hoffmeyer picks. When using them I turn up the treble in my amps as well. If you have the money to buy them give em a go.

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2020 3:28 pm     Addendum

I finally realized I just wasn't 'getting' my Landis picks, and thought I might just be out the money. I really didn't want to ask Ron about a refund, but I did, and he asked me what I was ultimately unhappy about.
I thought it might be the shape of the blade, and it seems some others weren't able to warm to the shape of the blade. Ron offered to reshape them.
Well, that did it. Picking now feels comfortable, and I don't feel that the attack is as muted.
Ron has been great through all this, and has always tried to accommodate my requests.
Frenzel MB-50 head.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2020 10:59 am    

Love the basket weave. Keep us posted as to when those become available. So is the consensus that the sterling silver has a slightly darker tone than the nickel?

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2020 12:01 pm    

Bill, that was my experience - silver was more muted than the nickel ones I'm now keeping.
Narrowing the tip made a difference as well; seemed to me that the standard tip didn't quite allow the edge of the blade to strike the string, but I could imagine silver and/or the standard tip would certainly tame the 'ice' that I hear from some steels.
Frenzel MB-50 head.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2020 9:16 am    

Mine (sterling) just made a quick trip home to have blades reshaped and they're back. Only took Mr. Landis a couple days to do the work and ship back, he works fast (and precisely/accurately of course)

Still fit no others and nice warm tone. I'll get some more time to play them tomorrow, also still considering what kind of sterling thumbpick I'd like him to make

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 5:15 am    

Daniel Morris wrote:
Hey, Ron, I'm seriously considering your new picks.
Any chance you could post a photo or two of the picks on your fingers, just for reference? Thanks.

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 5:36 am    

We've just listed our new 'Pickin'it Basket" picks on our website. These are less time consuming than our premium grade picks so we can offer them for less. They still have the Patent Pending "Death Grip" liner teeth to prevent slipping and still deliver the great tone that sterling silver offers. Available in two blade styles.

https://www.landisstudios.net/product-page/hand-crafted-finger-picks-pickin-it-basket

Also, please visit our YouTube channel to see a series of videos on how we make these in our Ozark Mountain pick factory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-tRA8xskIU&list=PLK_lhWIteYFIpdpVIMXLavi6Z4yZEl4vZ&index=8&t=0s