The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  International Steel guitar convention question
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 11:49 am    

I heard rumors that the international Steel guitar convention might try a comeback is this true?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 3:30 pm    

Steven, I haven't heard anything about it. Wish it were true.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 6:47 am    

There were some rumors a couple of years ago.

I think that someone was trying to put together a show somewhere near St Louis and on Labor Day Weekend.

I can't remember who it was, but I know they contacted me about helping since I was on the staff of the ISGC for some 35 years.

Never heard anything else.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 6:53 am     st. louis show?

bill, it would be a good idea if some one would have it in mobile or montgomery alabama, would be close enough us older guys could make it....jack

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 7:54 am    

Also "The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame," a building needs to be addressed and permanently established!

In my opinion, I think there should be a building established for it in Dallas or Fort Worth Texas region. Here are some reasons that I say this.

1) Nashville is not going to ever establish a permanent building or housing for "The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame!" It's just not in the cards, and it has nothing to do with the Steel Guitarists there now of which there are several. The fact is Nashville as a whole could care less about Steel Guitar. Think about it, even when Buddy Emmons, Jerry Byrd, Don Helms, Jimmy Day, Weldon Myrick, Hal Rugg and all the others were living and playing in and out of there, not one of them was Country Music Instrumentalist of the year. Nashville is out for Nashville. They've killed a lot of the Traditional Country Music that so many of us loved!

2) Texas would be more of a central location for everyone. Also Country Music seems to thrive there still. Many of the famous Steel Guitarists were not from Nashville, but rather were from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri the West Coast and other places such as Hawaii. Y'all need to remember that many Steel Guitarists played other styles of music besides Country too, like Western Swing, Hawaiian, Gospel, Jazz, Pop, Rock, etc.

3) As a lover of Steel Guitar and it's players, it bothers me that the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Plaques, and memorabilia are stuffed or hidden in a basement in St. Louis. DeWitt Scott, Scotty's Dream was to establish a permanent building to house all of those items. There were several Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Inductees whom had Steel Guitars and effects that were to be included in such a building. I feel we all owe it to these remarkable musicians or artists that were before us, to see that such a place is established. There needs to be a committee formed or revised committee to work toward this goal.

4) If we don't preserve our heritage or history, we are doomed to become like the dinosaurs and our beloved instrument extinct. We must educate the new musicians and the public. It can work and should be a top priority.

May GOD bless each and everyone of You! And may GOD bless America!!!

Bobby DeMoss

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 2:10 pm     Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame Building

Agreed!

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 5:56 pm    

Amen to what Terry said.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 3:37 am    

Admittedly not much chance for a free standing building for the Hall of Fame, since it’s too specific a purpose. But why reinvent the wheel? The Country Music Hall of Fame already exists and is both beautiful and successful. Wouldn’t it make sense to incorporate our plaques within its building?

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 3:54 am    

Tony Palmer wrote:
Admittedly not much chance for a free standing building for the Hall of Fame, since it’s too specific a purpose. But why reinvent the wheel? The Country Music Hall of Fame already exists and is both beautiful and successful. Wouldn’t it make sense to incorporate our plaques within its building?

I haven't visited this venue personally, but why not dedicate some space (e.g., a wall) there?

https://www.musicianshalloffame.com/

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 4:30 am    

Good suggestion, Tony.

The world of steel guitar, while it absorbs many of us, is a sub-genre in the world of music. Inclusion of the HoF plaques in such a setting could serve an educational purpose. They might divert and inform visitors to the MHoF who might otherwise have never spared a thought for even the very best of steel players.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 5:35 am    

While all this is a good idea, it has all already been tried.

The Scott family tried to get the Nashville HOF to take the plaques, NO.

They were also offered to the Texas show, but they have their own HOF.

Some of the problems involved are due to the sheer size of the plaques. It takes a large wall to show them and their is not much interest in steel guitar HOF from the general public.

A last note. From what I understand, the plaques would not be "given" to anyone, but rather sold at a pretty sizable price. That presents a problem in itself.

Most of us knew early on that there would never be enough money for a dedicated HOF building. It just didn't add up.

I guess Scotty thought that the Millenium Hotel would be there forever and also the plaques. But time goes on and things change.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 9:32 am    

Nashville is not going to house the Steel Guitar Plaques in their Country Music Hall of Fame. They would have already done that. Besides not all the Steel Guitarists were associated with Country Music. Texas is the most logical location and more likely to be accomplished there. Sad that those plaques and memorabilia are stuffed off in a basement in St. Louis. There is a possibility that some of these items are already damaged. The Steel Guitar Community could come together and each of us donate money and write grants to get this accomplished. I respect and honor those who paved the way for all of us! Without them we would not have a Steel Guitar!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 12:36 pm    

Terry, I would say that if you wanted to undertake this venture, you should contact Michael Scott. He is the owner of the plaques.

Even if you get enough people together to purchase these, then what?

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 3:28 pm    

What about Marty Stuart's Congress of Country Music (https://congressofcountrymusic.org/) for the plaques? If ANYONE would find a place for the SGHOF plaques and some instruments, it would be Marty.

Where are all the soundboard audio recordings from the ISGCs of years past? I really want to hear Red Rhodes, Bobby Garrett, and the various west coast steelers that did a performance.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 10:23 am    

A few random thoughts, from my being on the Steel Guitar Convention Board (the actual name of the ISGHOF committee) for 10 years, and also as a member of a three other HOFs, none of which have their own buildings and permanent homes.

First and foremost, IMHO pursuing a dedicated building is a Fool's Errand. Owning and maintaining a building is a very expensive and ongoing proposition, especially in a major city.

As far as Nashville as a location, Scotty and the board kicked this one around for years, possibly sharing a building with a similar museum being the most viable possibility; zero interest on this, although Gloria Willowdean tried to get another Nashville music museum or two interested a few years back but didn't get anywhere as far as I know. We didn't even get around to talking about the finances.

What about Dallas TX? Texas is the second most populous state, California being first. Real estate in urban TX is sold by the tablespoon, and at a premium price if you're talking Dallas, Houston, especially Austin, and San Antonio. Then there's the issue of property taxes and maintenance of the edifice, and staffing, probably at least two people full-time and then whatever maintenance help needed. Let's not omit fire and liability insurance and all that would entail re: quality of the building, ownership, and available staffers planned to maintain the place. Interior fixtures, anyone?

Of course, a building might not have to be purchased, per se. A long term lease could be a viable option, and not incur a multi-hundred thousand dollar committment to own. How long a lease the owner might offer would be one consideration, of course. But all the other expenses of running a building would still remain continuously.

Wait a minute!! Where's the money gonna come from and who's gonna sign the checks? The only way it could happen, IMHO, would be for a very well-healed... VERY well-healed... benefactor to create a charitable trust to purchase the venue and create a permanent income stream to maintain the process. Payment of the Trustee would have to be included in the expense side of the balance sheet. Would a cover charge be involved? Is there going to be a 501c3 tax exemption? There would have to be some attorney expense and CPA expense. The IRS looks very closely at tax-exempt businesses and foundations.

Why Nashville would be the best choice is because it's a Destination Locale with many other attractions that would interest steel guitar visitors. Nashville already has achieved critical mass as a draw and an ISGHOF would fit there. How many visitors would the ISGHOF building attract on a yearly basis if the location was Dallas? I believe being behind the cash register of that business would be a very lonely job indeed.

What I would suggest is that the Scott family, or whomever would want to finance the bill (which would not be insignificant) to do so, would be to rent space at the Sheraton Hotel during the week of the TSGA Jamboree and ship as many plaques as possible to display at that time. That would give the most concentrated group of fans as possible the chance to see at least some of the plaques of the important players, have a photo op, etc. The cost of this would probably be thousands, but not hundreds of thousands, and the money would reach the greatest number of viewers at the lowest cost per viewer given that it would be at the now largest steel guitar convention.

A few random thoughts... just sayin'. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 12:16 pm    

Herb, I agree with you on everything you said (wow). hehe

In this age it just does not make much sense to try such an endeavor.

I do like the idea of displaying at the Dallas show, but those plaques are VERY VERY heavy, so the cost to transport, to me, would not warrant the results. Then they have to be shipped back.

From what I know, the Scotts could never do this. Scotty used to mortgage his house to put on a show each year, in hopes that the show would generate enough money to pay off the loan.

Sadly, I think that the plaques will probably stay where they are forever.

Another option would be for the family of each HOF member to ship their plaque to Dallas for viewing. But I don't think this will happen either.

Heck, I own Bobbe Seymour's plaque as no one else wanted it. It is at a friends house that gave it to me. He got it when he bought Bobbe's old Emmons at SGN. They simply could not get rid of the plaque and did not want it.

So for the one's of us that were alive to see these awarded, let's be happy. For those that were not, I am so sorry because you really missed out.

The closest thing you will ever have is watching my YouTube channel and seeing many HOF members perform, while several would never let me release any video. Their video has all now been disposed of by me.

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 6:36 pm     Steel guitar Hall of fame

I would make this suggestion, Just wondering.
Having lived within 50 miles of St Louis all my life. I was able to attend the Labor day convention every year I wanted to and I went for the first 15 or so in a row. It was like nothing that is around today. It was A big deal for steel players around the world.

I believe it needs to be done with its own website. Video of all the plaques and players etc. could be put on there at a fraction of the cost of trying to do it in real time.

Another option would be do a nice hard cover book with all the great pictures that are available. The only people that care about steel guitar are US the steel players. We would buy it. It is possible to do it this way by the right people getting involved. However, it would be quite an undertaking.

I think the virtual route would be the way to go. Just sayin.

Those that did not experience the International Steel guitar Convention in those first 25 years, will never know what it was like. It was ALL ABOUT STEEL GUITAR MUSIC at it's very best. It wasn't a country music show. It was A STEEL GUITAR WORLD SERIES.

Not looking for confrontation here fellas. Just remembering
how it was.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 7:59 pm    

Quote:
I do like the idea of displaying at the Dallas show, but those plaques are VERY VERY heavy, so the cost to transport, to me, would not warrant the results. Then they have to be shipped back.

Is there a steel player near St. Louis with a truck? Are there volunteers to load and unload? It doesn't have to cost a fortune. Just sayin'...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 4:07 am    

Simply as a hypothetical scenario, along b0b's suggestion...

The plaques weigh +/- 80 lbs each. I would say that the most significant plaques would be at most 25 or less, and that would be enough to fill a room up on the mezzanine level. That number of them would weigh 2000 lbs and be easily carried in a van/trailer or hauled in a bus (are you listening, Lynn Owsley? Laughing ) So the travel cost would be fuel, and rental of the vehicle for 2500 round-trip miles. Room at the hotel for 3 or 4 days, double occupancy, +/-$800. Rental of the double display room on the mezzanine level 2 or 3 days would probably be $900-1200.

I think the whole project would cost less than $4000 at the most. Maybe a lot less. Of course I could be way off-base on the figures.

That's only my opinion of what it might cost financially. Since no income would be involved, whoever footed the bill would have to realize the project to be a goodwill gesture to the steel guitar community. I happen to know that people have done similar things in the past.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 5:44 am    

I would say that whomever wants to proceed with this to call Michael Scott and see what he thinks.
I would guess that he would want some type of compensation and rightfully so in my opinion.

Or he might not be open to the idea at all, which would make all this a mute point.

I will be happy to donate Bobbe Seymour's plaque to the endeavor at no cost and I would even bring it to Dallas.
Then someone else could take it and store it for ever how long.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 6:00 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:

I will be happy to donate Bobbe Seymour's plaque to the endeavor at no cost and I would even bring it to Dallas.
Then someone else could take it and store it for ever how long.

I think the game we used to play was called "Hot Potato," right? Laughing

FWIW, Joaquin threw his HOF plaque away, since he found absolutely no use for it. Personally, I would have taken it off his hands, but we didn't know each other at that time. Smile

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 6:04 am    

Right Herb.

Too bad he threw it away. He could have had it melted and gotten 49 cents. hehe

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 6:42 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
...Joaquin threw his HOF plaque away, since he found absolutely no use for it...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 7:25 am    

I suppose it's worthwhile discussing the HOF stuff but the initial post here concerned a convention type show to replace the big St. Louis annual event.

I haven't heard any rumors of anything in the works that is any comparison to Scotty's big St. Louis ISGC.

I would hope that someone would pursue the idea. We discussed this before with many members agreeing that Nashville Tn. would be the most likely place for such a gathering since there are many Pro steel players there already who might not have to take time away from their gigs to do a local show.

Also the atmosphere there, to which Herb alluded, would certainly make for an ideal location.

All speculation, but I hope someone will pick up the idea before all of us geezers leave this earth.

As Fred stated, those were magical times in the world of steel guitar. Things happened that we will never see again. This was about the steel guitar in no specific style of music...just the instrument itself...way before everyone's regional shows focused so much more on country music singers than steel guitar.

But we have a marvelous contingent of great pro players still, some just in these last couple of generations that could also make for magical times for this current era.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 6:54 pm    

Bobby Reed had a show in Nashville last year and was planning again for this year. Also the Nashville steel guitar association has a show there usually a weekend after Labor day. It's rarely mentioned on the forum. In fact, most of the shows are rarely mentioned. I live 50 miles from St Louis and went to Scottys ISGC for close to 30 years. I would have gone to more had I known about them. There was no Internet back in the late 70s and early 80's.