The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Size of standard rack screws?
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 5:58 am    

Can someone tell me the thread size of a standard rack screw? I have one hole in my rack that is stripped. I want to buy a tap but dont want to leave the house due to this crazy virus. Tried to go to home depot yesterday and the line was so long to get in I just went back home.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 6:17 am    

Those are 10/32
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 6:29 am     Thanx

For quick response

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 6:44 am    

Yes, #10-32 TPI. It's also the same as 3/16 x 32 TPI.

Maybe try your local Harbor Freight or Ace Hdwe. Sometimes the smaller hdwe stores have less traffic than the box stores.

Of course you can order online from stores like Amazon etc. if you can wait a few days.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 7:00 am    

Ron, I probably have a spare 10/32 tap if you want me to mail it to you.

However, if the hole is completely stripped, you might have to go to a slightly larger screw.

You could also use a self tapping sheet metal screw to get you by.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 7:08 am    

All the 10-32 rack screws I have are self tapping type. Not sure why since the rack rails are threaded.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 7:08 am    

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07QRW12L2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Then there's these things that clip over the rail, but would require drilling up a size in the original hole.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 8:32 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07QRW12L2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Then there's these things that clip over the rail, but would require drilling up a size in the original hole.

You can also buy strips of rack angle bar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQYUIJ4?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 9:33 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
Jerry Overstreet wrote:

You can also buy strips of rack angle bar.

True, but that involves tearing off covering, removing staples, screws etc. and replacing the entire rail. Seems like a lot of trouble just for one screw hole. I'd go the clip nut route, but it's not my gear.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 10:21 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

True, but that involves tearing off covering, removing staples, screws etc. and replacing the entire rail. Seems like a lot of trouble just for one screw hole. I'd go the clip nut route, but it's not my gear.

In case of some racks the angle bar is just screwed onto the shell or maybe riveted.

I had to build 6 units of my own 21 inch tall angled-back rack systems on wheels using angle bar and had to drill and tap the holes for each screw and in line as these systems are ordered.

I went through many tapping bits to get it done.

Of course one hole, get the clips.

At least the option to replace a short length of rack bar can be had.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 10:32 am     One hole

For one hole I bought a 10/32 tap.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 11:40 am    

Hit the hole with a hammer or squeeze it with a C clamp and re tap it.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2020 7:28 pm    

Boy Dale, that would take a heck of a c clamp, or G cramp, as they call them in England. Very Happy

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2020 8:53 pm    

Most racks use a speed nut that clips into place. Is that what you need? Just saw the cage nut from Amazon. That seems to be the solution.and you don't have to leave the house.
Jerry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 2:12 am    

I dealt with equipment racks almost my entire working career. They all had 10-32 threaded mounting holes. I never encountered the clip type until I bought a rack case.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 3:50 am    

Yes Jack, tapped rack rails are my favorite too. That's what I use when I build my own racks. It's heavier and meatier. You can buy it in lengths and just whack off the amount you need for 2, 3 space etc.

The first clip nuts I saw were on the SKB suff. They used a really skinny valance with these clip nuts. The only problem with these is they have some give to the clip when you start the screw, so if it doesn't start straight, you can push them off center and booger up the threads.

The other type of cage nut clips inside a square hole with tension and doesn't have the give like the clip nut. Only problem with them is that they sometimes fall out of the rail.

So, I guess it depends on the lesser of all evils.

It appears Ron has found a solution, so good luck with that.