The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Lapsteel Fretboard WITH PICS!
Paul Smith

Ma
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 4:58 am    

A BIG shout out to Mr. George Boards for supplying this beautiful Vinyl Fretboard.

Back Story:

I have a beautiful lapsteel built by our beloved and departed friend Mr. Tom Petingil.

The only issue I had with this steel, was that it has a Birsdseye Maple Fretboard, and in certain playing conditions, depending on overhead lighting, on stage or outside, I could litterally lose sight of my strings! This is due to the Reflection coming off of the frettboard. Take it from me if you have any type of custom lapsteel built, PLEASE have the fretboard made from a dark wood such as Ebony. (Darker colors absorb light, rather than reflect it back at you.)

So thankfully I was directed to George boards by a fellow forumite, as George had these Vinyl fretboard overlays for lapsteel. Based on a conversation with George I purchased one. After (patiently) applying the frettboard,it works Amazingly Well, and plays in perferct tune up the neck! And looks great too.
I am EXTREMELY happy, and no more losing sight of the strings at Gigs.

By comparing the 2 images you can clearly see how much better you can see the strings.

Here are some before and after pics.

Thanks George!

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 7:05 am     FretBoard

Many thanks Paul

I am Gald to Help You and everyone I can.

To have one of my DIY Builders products help a Tom Petingil (Spelling?) Guitar Owner, is beyond pleasing.

I followed and supported every guitar Tom built in his short lived builders glory --- in my little opinion Tom's guitars were at the top of anyones idea of perfection..
YouTube Channel

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 10:25 am    

Nice job, Paul. I think the artist would approve. And I second the shout-out to Mr. Boards. He's helped a lot of us with our steel guitar builds.

For any forumites who are not familiar with the late Tom Pettingill's amazing work, here's a link to his photo library. Enjoy.

http://s302.photobucket.com/user/tompettingill/library/?sort=3&page=1

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2020 3:20 pm     Deceased?

I had Tom build me a lap with duesenberg benders.It was a beauty.Is he now deceased?
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2020 4:58 pm    

Crazy cool lap!