The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Member - Usual Newb Questions
Sid Packard

Chicago Suburbs
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 7:27 am    

Greetings! What a wonderful place this is! I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks and have learned a ton, but more knowledge just breeds more questions, so here goes.

First off, I know it’s irritating when a newb joins and asks a bunch of questions that were recently discussed at length. I’ve worn out the "Search" function, but most everything I’ve come up with is 5-6 years old, and I prefer to have up to date info before spending my hard-earned dollars. If I missed something, please be gentle Shocked .

I am 60 years old, and a life long fan of the steel sound as found in Pink Floyd, Marshall Tucker, and many other country rock acts, and I also love the blues. I play a little "normal" guitar, can read music, and know some music theory. I have an SX lap steel being delivered tomorrow.

Books and videos: The new Bruce Bouton online course "Rockin Lap Steel’" sounds tailor made for me, but it just came out and I haven’t found any reviews of it. What other video series would be best for my specific needs? I’ve found the "classic" books mentioned here and of course on Amazon, but can’t tell if one is better than another for my chosen styles.

Tunings: My SX from Rondo includes a C6 video, so I’m assuming that’s how it will be set up. Do I need different strings to put it in open G or G6? The tuning stuff is very confusing, and it’s easy to see how someone might want a couple different instruments.

A used lap steel: I bought a cheap one just to get started, but in general I prefer a higher quality instrument. If anyone knows of a used unit that would be particularly well suited for my specific needs, please let me know.

Chicago Area Teachers: I found references to Ken Champion and Russ Rickman, and Mr Champion is only 10 miles from me if he still lives in Cary. Any others I should consider?

Thanks all!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 8:26 am    

There is enough information on this website
https://people.well.com/user/wellvis/index.html and this one https://www.hawaiiansteel.com/index.php to keep you busy until you find that teacher.

One thing I would add is that one of the keys to playing rock and blues is getting an understanding of the pentatonic scale. If you tune your guitar to A6, G6, E6, or whatever 6th tuning, you will have 4 of the 5 pentatonic notes right there in your open tuning. It is not just a Western swing or Hawaiian tuning.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 9:08 am    

Couple points...

First, I wouldn't chuck your SX under the bus just yet, especially getting started. I have one (8 string model) and although I didn't care for (and eventually replaced) the pickup, otherwise its a great instrument. With the new pickup I prefer its tone in certain ways to my other instruments (its deep bassy, clear tone is great for 8 string B11). But basically I would give it a bit of time at first to learn and discover what you like before rushing off to upgrade...there are a lot of directions you can go with vintage and new instruments but you'll save money in the long run getting to know the instrument first before upgrading, I think.

Second, from a rock/blues/country perspective, C6 will work. Lot of players doing more rock kind of stuff use open major triad tunings (like dobro open G...GBDGBD). You can do any of it with C6, too, which gives you more chordal options, but you have to be careful to not throw the 6th in, or its instant transport to a lu'au on moonlit beaches ("what's the problem with that?" I say, but doesn't fit well in rock, I grant you). Just like you can play Hawaiian music in a triad tuning (early Hawaiian players played similar open A tunings), you can play just about any genre in a sixth tuning.

For general getting started with lap steel, you might check out Troy Brenningmeyer videos. Even if you aren't after the style he's teaching you can learn a lot about the mechanics that will serve you well...

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 10:12 am    

First, I wouldn't chuck your SX under the bus just yet, especially getting started. I have one (8 string model) and although I didn't care for (and eventually replaced) the pickup, otherwise its a great instrument. With the new pickup I prefer its tone in certain ways to my other instruments (its deep bassy, clear tone is great for 8 string B11). But basically I would give it a bit of time at first to learn and discover what you like before rushing off to upgrade...there are a lot of directions you can go with vintage and new instruments but you'll save money in the long run getting to know the instrument first before upgrading, I think.

Good advice Nic......plus the longer you wait, the more you will see things you like and dislike about certain lap steels. Hopefully holding off with an upgrade you will have the time to acquire more $$$$.....but I am only speaking for me. Contrary to popular belief, I am not independently wealthy. I guess patience in this case is the way to go......before spending your "hard-earned dollars" on something you thought was great, but maybe turned out to be not so great once you bought it. If you had more experience under your belt, you might not have made the purchase???

Good luck with your journey and questions from a Newb are not irritating by any means.
That is what a forum is for, so use it to the best of your ability.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 11:05 am     Re: New Member - Usual Newb Questions

Sid Packard wrote:

I am 60 years old, and a life long fan of the steel sound as found in Pink Floyd, Marshall Tucker, and many other country rock acts, and I also love the blues. I play a little "normal" guitar, can read music, and know some music theory. I have an SX lap steel being delivered tomorrow.

Books and videos: The new Bruce Bouton online course "Rockin Lap Steel’" sounds tailor made for me, but it just came out and I haven’t found any reviews of it. What other video series would be best for my specific needs?

Tunings: My SX from Rondo includes a C6 video, so I’m assuming that’s how it will be set up. Do I need different strings to put it in open G or G6? The tuning stuff is very confusing, and it’s easy to see how someone might want a couple different instruments.

Thanks all!

Good advice so far.....so specifically to your questions.

Videos: Get the Troy Brenningmeyer download videos. Just top shelf instruction, he goes nice and slow. He has videos in Dobro G, C6, Open D and I think Low Bass Open G. One of his videos does some blues in C6.

Michael Messer has a pretty good video on lap steel in Open E/D and Low Bass Open G.

Tunings/Strings: If your lap steel is in C6, you will need entirely different strings to get to Dobro G as the bottom 3 strings of C6 are no where near the bottom 3 of Dobro G. Yes, you can play blues in C6, but if you are a NEWB (and prone to mistakes), it may be frustrating.

Here's forumite Mike Neer playing blues in C6 (but with the high E tuned down to D). Showing how to cut it loose....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGp9zzj3egA

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 4:11 pm     Re: New Member - Usual Newb Questions

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:

Here's forumite Mike Neer playing blues in C6 (but with the high E tuned down to D). Showing how to cut it loose....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGp9zzj3egA

While I think there is a lot to be said for experimenting with various tunings (there's stuff I can do in B11 that I can't do in C6/C13, at least the same way)...that's a great example of somebody who knows a tuning inside and out. Nobody would say C6 is a "blues tuning" but if you know it really well like Mike does, you can play a lot more than Hawaiian and country in it. Same deal with a player like Megan Lovell who started on bluegrass dobro...she's playing mostly rock and blues now...but she stuck with a tuning that she learned inside and out, and it worked for her to play rock guitar leads on a bluegrass dobro tuning. Spend some time experimenting, and eventually, pick a primary tuning, and learn that one fluently, is my recommendation.

Sid Packard

Chicago Suburbs
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 4:48 am     Re: New Member - Usual Newb Questions

[quote="Here's forumite Mike Neer playing blues in C6 (but with the high E tuned down to D). Showing how to cut it loose....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= .[/quote]

I appreciate the responses, and I’ll check out Troy’s videos to get me started on the right foot. The Mike Neer video was great Stephen, thanks for the link.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 6:00 am    

Megan Lovell rocks in G tuning GBDGBD.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 1:41 pm    

I started with DVDs i found in the public library, Cindy Cashdollar Western Swing and Bruce Bouton and Rob Haines on PSG, which cover picking/bar technique really well. Palm finger and pick blocking takes a whlie to learn, it pays to study what they do

Then i found Andy Volk's books, I think they're the best single source of info on right and left hand technique, equipment, tunings, basic repertoire etc

Specificall this one but I think i have a half dozen of his books

http://www.volkmediabooks.com/products-books/exploring-c6th-lap-steel-guitar

There's lots of good material on youtube, also this blog http://www.lapsteelin.com/

Last edited by Gene Tani on 19 Apr 2020 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 4:36 pm    

As a relative newb myself I can share a few things that I am learning.

1) If you want to hit the ground running, choose a tuning and stick to it.
2) If you plan on playing mostly blues and rock choose open D or open E. (DAD#AD)
3) if you want to throw some country and bluegrass into the mix, choose open G (GBDGBD)

Any of the tunings above will be quick to learn and are versatile enough to cover almost any blues or rock tune.
...but what if you want more versatility?

4) By far the most common tuning for versatility is C6. Tons of learning material. Lots of help available. I could never wrap my head around having that “6” note popping into my blues playing, but that’s a weakness in my playing technique, not a problem with the tuning.

5) You can do what I did. Spend 2 years experimenting with different tunings. I’ve enjoyed the journey immensely, but I’ve paid a price by not being close to mastering any tuning even after two years playing. I have finally settled on a tuning (G9) that works for ME, and keep my Dobro in good ol’ open D. But two years have gone by and now I need to catch up!
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Eric Gross

Perkasie PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2020 8:58 am    

Eric Gross

Perkasie PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2020 9:04 am    

Hi Sid,

If you want to go from C6 to G tuning, you will need fatter strings. John Ely's String Gauge Guide is a good resource:

https://www.hawaiiansteel.com/graphics/pdf/string_gauge_chart.pdf

I play G or G6 tuning, for me it was easier to process after 30 years of playing armpit guitar. Normally when I need new strings I go down to the music store and put together a set by buying single strings in the gauge I want, however I just got a new lapsteel in C6, and ordered these two sets of strings that provide what I need for G tuning, since the music stores are shut down:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002PBS6I/?tag=erbamuma-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTJFCHB/?tag=erbamuma-20

Per the string gauge chart, I was trying to hit these gauges:

D .016
B .018
G .024
D .034
G .048
D .060

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2020 4:14 pm    

If you are going to play one of those dobro or slide guitar tunings, I recommend accessorizing with a good capo so you can utilize open strings. Troy does a good demonstration for this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZhRJhGeeQ