The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Piano Player Walt Cunningham from Nashville has passed away
Mike Bourque

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2020 8:58 pm    

Saddened by the lost one of the greatest piano players to come out of Nashville , Walt Cunningham who passed away this morning in Nashville TN.

Walt played many years as a session player as well as spending some time working for Dolly Parton,Johnny Cash, George Jones just to name a few as well as on a lot of the Nashville steel guitar shows. He will be missed by many. Rest in peace Walt.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 5:53 am    

This is really sad. Walt was a great guy as well as a great player. Rest well Walt.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 4:01 pm    

Years ago I was working a recording session in Springfield, MO. and they brought in this sort of quiet guy to play piano. They said he was from Nashville, so I started checking him out to see what he had for chops. I asked him to play some Pig Robbins, Floyd Cramer, Chopin, etc., and he nailed it. He even played Bobby Thompson banjo licks on the piano. This guy was one slick operator. Every solo he took on the session was a gas. Then he caught a plane that afternoon and went back to Nashville, and I never knew what became of him. Well, now I know, and it saddens me that such a fine talent has left us. He told me about one of the piano players in Nashville he liked named Don Robertson. He said Don played trademark Pig Robbins style before Pig did. Hmmm. I see he had quite a career. So glad I got to meet him and listen to his talent. May he liven up the Heavenly band.

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 4:57 pm    

OMG! Crying or Very sad I can't believe this! I worked with Walt a bunch over the years. I was just thinking about him a couple days ago! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Any idea what happened??

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 9:29 pm    

I recall Walt Cunningham being in the back up group at many of the Nashville Steel Club shows.

Walt was also in the back up band when BE performed in Benton, Illinois in 2007, prior to BE's final performance at Scotty's Convention the following Labor Day

Just search You Tube for 'Buddy Emmons Benton IL 2007' and you'll see Walt to Buddy's left (Walt's wearing the cowboy hat). What a great show.

Walt was a Great Player.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2020 3:06 pm    

Walt accompanied me on every set I did at the NashvilleSGA Super Jams. He always played great and said he enjoyed the material I chose, which he didn't get to play very often. I felt very flattered by his compliments. Sad to hear I won't get another chance to enjoy his picking. Sad

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 9:26 am     Walt Cunningham piano player from Nashville has passed away

Walt was a friend for many years. The last time I saw him was in September at the Nashville Super Jam. One of the big things I looked forward to at these shows each year was gettiing to see Walt. He was a great producer as well as pianist. I am sure going to miss him. RIP my friend and condolences to his family.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 2:13 pm    

A great person and piano player. He was session leader
For Jean DeVore for herproject at Hilltop studio several years
Ago. Gene O’Neal was on steel. Walt will be
greatly missed. Prayers for the family.

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 5:35 pm    

I was heartbroken to hear of Walts passing. He was a kind man and had a pure heart. He was also one of my favorite piano players in town. We sometimes sat in together with the Blue Creek band at the Long Hollow Jamboree and it was always a treat. He will be missed in a big way.