The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  High input vs low input on Session 115?
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2020 10:47 am    

So I purchased a Session 115 here on the forum and was hugely disappointed with it. Tried every EQ combination I could think of, but no love.

Fast forward to yesterday when I tried it again after getting in touch with a fellow forumite who shared his settings. They were better, but still not what I was expecting out of a high dollar amp, not to mention a Peavey steel amp.

I’d been plugging into the first input jack but then tried the second jack marked high input. BAM! There was the tone I had originally been expecting. Got even better (to my ears at least) when I tried the settings Larry Behm suggested to me when I first got the amp. Bass cranked, mids cranked, frequency at 3:00, and highs & presence straight up.

Has anyone else experienced this, that the low input sounds tremendously better than the high input, or could there be an internal issue that I need checked out?

I think I still might like my SFTR a touch better, but I’ve got some great fx units that require an fx loop, but this is a great sounding amp. Very glad I didn’t give up on it too quickly. Next thing is to switch out the BW neo and try the Double T 15” in it and see how that sounds.

Thanks in advance guys, hope everyone is safe and healthy!

Skeeter

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2020 4:29 pm    

I think the "low input" is for instruments that send a powerful signal - more than a magnetic pickup does - to the amp. They might have a resistor in the circuit - at least, that's the case with my VHT Special 6 that I use for harmonica. So, digital pianos and organs, for example, that send a strong digital signal go into the low input so as not to overdrive the preamp. More knowledgeable amp experts, feel free to correct me on this.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2020 1:10 am    

typically 1/4 DUAL INPUTs have a 10 or 12 DB pad on one of those inputs which as stated right above , are meant for strong signal instruments like keyboards etc.. Using the PAD INPUT for a guitar level signal may snuff the life out of the Instrument, tone and level wise.

Fellow forum-ites, this has been going on with AMPS since the late 50's or early 60's ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2020 7:11 am    

Forrest, I think there is an error in your explanation.

"I’d been plugging into the first input jack but then tried the second jack marked high input. BAM!"

So is the "first" input jack the one on the left (high gain) or the one on the right (low gain).
Maybe it's me, but I read from left to right, so for me the "first" would be the high gain.

At any rate, you plugged into the high input and it solved your problem.

Then you wrote: "Has anyone else experienced this, that the low input sounds tremendously better than the high input, ......."

Now you said that the low input sounds better, not the high.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2020 7:31 am    

The problem I’ve been experiencing is with the high input jack, apologies if how I wrote the post didn’t make sense.

I had been plugging into the high input jack, and it sounds weird and boomy. The low input jack sounded much better. Thanks for the replies thus far.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 2:04 am    

I have a Nashville 112, that I know is a totally different animal than the Session 115 and I only play at home as a hobby and I live in a small condo, so I play at low volumes. But I also use the low gain input, instead of high gain on plugging in my guitar. It just seems to get better sounds (tone) with that. And I'm also able to turn up both pre-gain (to 2.5) & master gain (to 4). Where as using the high gain I could barely turn up both pre & master gain. Perhaps maybe too much amp for what I am doing.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 4:23 am    

Other than signal level going into the first preamp stage in the amp there should be no difference in tone of the actual amp. However, with the Low input padding down the signal it can put a different load on the input signal and slightly affect perceived tone.

I've tried the two different inputs on various Peavey steel guitar amps, starting with the Session 500 and up to the NV112 and do not hear any tone difference.