The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Slide Man Slim & Penny Hanna CD: The Birthday Sessions
Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2020 6:37 am    

Wanted to let ya'll know that today we released our new CD "The Birthday Sessions" (available via our website).

I started playing pedal steel four years ago and can fake it pretty good at this point with plenty of punch-ins. But I think I may be slowly becoming a "real" steel player. It's starting to feel a bit like it anyway Smile.

There's steel guitar on all but one cut and you can listen to or download the album from our website free of charge. It's also up on all the major streaming services (search for "Slide Man Slim & Penny Hanna").

Some of the tunes have a primarily Brazilian jazz influence , while others are kind of country. There are a couple of swing tunes and a couple that defy easy categorization. Penny and I played all the instruments and there's lots of chromatic harmonica and pedal steel guitar as well as some clarinet in addition to our usual array of guitars, basses, and various virtual keyboard and percussion instruments. These are all songs that I wrote. The ones with lyrics were written as birthday presents for Penny. They're personal, from the heart, and in some cases humorous. I'm also delighted that Penny agreed to sing a couple of them (in this sense she's re-gifted them to me).

All the details are here:

https://slimandpenny.com/web/articles/birthdaysessions-album/

- Slim

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2020 7:12 am    

I really enjoy listening to these pieces. The guitar & harmonica are exquisite, and then every once in a while comes the steel guitar. This is what can happen when a mature multi-instrumentalist takes up the steel guitar with an arranger's idea of what it can do. I love it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2020 10:00 am    

Slim, some very advanced recording and playing techniques. The arrangements are extremely musical and tastefully done. Great job.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2020 11:55 am    

I agree with both, and it's got pedal steel in a samba, I'm in heaven. Your voices complement each other and tell the story well.
And yeah, great arrangements.

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2020 12:12 pm    

You guys... you're making my day! Thank you Doug, Larry, and Charlie. I guess I'll keep at it Smile.

- Slim