The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording from quilter? Help!
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 4:49 pm    

I have a need to record my steel to my PC. Im wondering if the signal out (line out) from the back of my quilter brain is enough to record. Or do I need to run it through a preamp before sending to the pc. I have a Podxt if I need to.
Do I need an amplified signal (speaker out) or would that distort?
Appreciate some help

Ron Sodos
San Antonio TX

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 7:00 pm    

Exactly which amp do you have? I use the XLR out on my Aviator for recording and it is excellent - plenty of gain. I also have the Toneblock 202 which gives you the option of using the XLR out or the cabinet simulated quarter-inch which also doubles as a headphone jack in the front. Either way they’re both very good in a recording situation.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 7:19 pm     Stoneblock 201

I use a toneblock 201 to an effects rack to a black widow speaker. All components. Not sure if the xlr direct out will work that way. I need to get a cable or adapter from xlr to 1/8" male jack to go into my pc sound card.[/i]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2020 2:29 am    

The XLR out is at microphone Level which is low for a PC sound card input. If you are using a recording interface unit it will work OK just set the input for mic accordingly.

On a Steelaire, the XLR out is tapped, through resistors to lower level, directly from the speaker out point, according to Pat Quilter. On a TB202 amp the XLR is also mic level.