The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Effects Pedal Setup
Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 11:11 am    

I need someone to tell me how to set up two effects pedals that I recently bought. I purchased a Neunaber Wet Reverb Pedal and a Boss DD-3 Delay Pedal. I Also have a 1 Spot Wall Wart. So, what is the step by step process of the set up? I have a Hilton volume pedal and I'm playing through a Peavey LTD 400 Amp. Thanks

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 4:01 pm     Effects pedal setup

Hey Jerry, I have a number of Peavey amps including a Session 400 and a LTD 400 (same amp, just smaller cabinet than Session). With a Hilton volume pedal, which is an active pedal you would want to bring the cord directly from your guitar into the front input on the Hilton pedal. Then connect a cord from the middle output jack on the volume pedal and plug that cord into the input on your delay pedal. Then, plug a jumper cord from the output jack on the delay pedal into the input jack on your Neunaber Wet Reverb. Next, plug a cord from the output jack on your Reverb pedal into the #1 input jack on your Peavey amp. From what many gurus here on the forum have previously stated, you should always have your reverb pedal as the very last effects pedal in the chain before the amp. Works great for me anyway. The one spot should be able to power both the delay and reverb pedals with no problem at all; just make sure you have them both connected with your daisy chain cable for 9V power supply. Hope this helps. Keep on Pickin' Brother! Roger Smile

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 4:33 pm    

I use a Nashville 112 and a Telonics pedal. I go from the steel into the volume pedal and use the middle jack of the pedal to the high input on the amp. I take the delay pedal and use a cable to connect it to the reverb. I then run a cable from each output to the Post EQ Patch on the amp. If you get those two cables crossed you will get no volume. I am going to try the way Roger suggested to see if there is a difference.

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 6:52 am     Effects pedal setup

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help.
Jerry

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 6:55 am    

I think it's recommended to set up the chain so that the delay pedal is the last in line before it goes into the amp.
Erv

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 9:42 am    

There have been several previous discussions about which order to use:
Delay>Reverb or Reverb>Delay.

As I recall, most felt that Reverb should be last.

Brad Sarno made a comment about having the reverb last.
That way reverb would be added to each repeat.
My gut tells me that would be more natural sounding; but, I know nothing about acoustics.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 12:21 pm    

Reverb last is the most conventional way. I recently watched a demo of a combination delay/reverb pedal that has a toggle to select the order. When I heard the reverb into delay setting I fully agreed that delay into reverb is more conventionally better sounding to me. I think the reverse was intended to reduce muddiness in heavier settings. I could see it for certain recording purposes but it didn't sound very natural to me.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 1:59 pm    

I have my reverb pedal last, but there is no wrong answer here. Hook them up both ways and decide what is best, according to your ears.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2020 6:12 am    

When I said that delay should be last in line, that was assuming that you were using the reverb in the amp and then reverb would be the last effect.
Erv