The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9th 4 string sounds dead ( Has a sitar sound )
Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 6:46 pm    

For some reason half way through the day I noticed my 4th string on the E9 neck had started to sound dead , not much sustain and sort of sounds like a sitar even if I don't have it barred , the sound is more audible barred .

Does anyone have any clue on what could have happened ? Is it as simple as just changing the string ?

I've looked on both ends the string has contact and there doesn't seem to be any dust or debris touching .

Thank you in advance for any help !

Cody Coombs

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 6:50 pm    

Changing the string is the first step in troubleshooting the problem.

Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 7:33 pm    

Could I use a guitar string temporarily ? It doesn't seem that music stores are open unfortunately I hadn't thought to get any string sets

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 7:41 pm    

.014 for an E string, clean the finger with some simi chrome polish if they’re dirty and grooved.

Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 7:51 pm    

I'm in luck I just found my string box and have a set of strings for the steel , I'll try and change it and let you know if that solves it .

What is the finger ? Is it the part that it sits on closest to the picking hand ?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 8:19 pm    

If the strings have been on the guitar for some time and played regular, The strings could be work hardening.
Especially the 4th and 8th strings because they raise and lower a lot, Will work harden till they will not come to rest tight against the changer finger. They will make weird sounds and be hard to get in tune open. Next thing the string will break.

It is good time for a new set of strings.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 8:45 pm    

Thanks fellas for your help , all she needed was a new string

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 9:27 pm    

They’ll often start “singing” like that shortly before they break. If I haven’t felt inclined to change strings before, that “song” will usually embarrass me into changing the whole set.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 1:12 am    

The exact same thing happened to me recently. Bobby's explanation is spot on. Once a string loses elasticity it can no longer function. I changed them all - as Ken suggests, that 4th is a good alarm clock.

When you think how we punish strings, it's a miracle they last as long as they do! Smile

Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 1:30 am    

I agree with that , Its funny I shoulda figured to change the string first before getting worried something else was wrong . Any other instrument when it starts sounding bad that's the first thing to do is just plop new strings on , So I appreciate you fellas for your help , I'm getting passed the point of being afraid of messing this big contraption up . I figure I might see it tomorrow that I change all my strings on both necks on account of I found a set for both , I can't figure the last time I changed them so it's about time especially with this shiney new 4th string on mixed with all the older strings ha

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 1:40 am    

Cody Coombs wrote:
I'm getting passed the point of being afraid of messing this big contraption up.

I know what you mean - it's like your first car, until you figure you have nothing to lose Smile

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 6:11 am    

Cody..One task that I always perform when changing strings is to rotate the roller nuts on the shaft approximately 1/4 turn. This prevents the strings from steadily riding on the same spot in the nut which may result in a groove developing(could possibly be the cause of the "sitar" effect that you are describing). Removing the shaft and nuts and cleaning and oiling them is recommended also making certain to maintain the nuts in proper order on the shaft. If unfamiliar with this procedure, feel free to send a P.M. and I will gladly walk you through it.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2020 7:57 am    

You could wait for the others to go dead and then play Ravi Shankar tunes til the next string change.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2020 8:11 am    

Laughing

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2020 8:56 am    

If these tips do not work it may be time to resurface your fingers. After trying everything else suggested here, plus Ricky Davis' method fora quick on the guitar polish, it was the only option left. Both my third and fourth string were causing problems as you describe. It cleared up the 4th string, and some improvement on the third string. Fairly certain a second round will clear that up. Do a search on the forum for finger resurfacing and you will find several threads that explain how to do this. It is not difficult, but, if you are not comfortable tearing down your guitar you may want to find a steel guitar repairman. Good luck.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2020 9:00 am    

If these tips do not work it may be time to resurface your fingers. After trying everything else suggested here, plus Ricky Davis' method fora quick on the guitar polish, it was the only option left. Both my third and fourth string were causing problems as you describe. It cleared up the 4th string, and some improvement on the third string. Fairly certain a second round will clear that up. Do a search on the forum for finger resurfacing and you will find several threads that explain how to do this. It is not difficult, but, if you are not comfortable tearing down your guitar you may want to find a steel guitar repairman. Good luck.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2020 10:24 am    

On a second reading, I realise you mean the changer fingers Laughing