The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ted Solesky has gone home
Bruce Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 3:29 am    

According to sources close to Ted's family, he passed yesterday. Ted was from the Lebanon county Pennsylvania area and spent the second half of his career in the DFW Texas area, before heading to Montana for his retirement years. He was a super clean, fast and innovative player who would help anyone requesting help learning the pedal steel guitar. Ted sold me my first professional guitar, a new ZB back in 1973. He used Evans amps ZB, BMI and finally Carter guitars. If and when more details are available we'll post them. Due to the #19 there are no services at this time.

These days my ears are hearing that old Vern Gosdin tune, "Is it Raining at Your House". Ted was a long time friend to me from the initial days of my steel guitar efforts. He was in the Tommy Vollmer, Wayne Wallet, Jimmy Landis and Henry Cassel circle of Pennsylvania steel players. Initially, his uncle Al Fulton inspired Ted to play at a very early age, before the guitars went to the pedal era. When Ted was 18 years old and playing a summer gig with a local band, Buck Owens heard him and asked Ted to sign up with the Buckeroos; however, Ted's mom intervened and Ted went on to obtain his education. May God speed Ted on his final journey and his soul rest in peace forever. Later today we'll post a picture or two. Left to right in the photo from 1996, Tommy Vollmer, me, and Teddy Solesky. Please listen to Ted's great sound and taste in the Paul's post below mine.

Bruce W

Last edited by Bruce Heffner on 8 Apr 2020 8:37 am; edited 5 times in total

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 4:06 am     RiP

I got to know Ted thru the forum great guy
He sent me some live CDs.
RIP Ted...
https://youtu.be/-w6iyy5KTAk

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 4:44 am    

Sad. I've known Ted since mid 60's as the steel player in our band (Harry "Hap" Hatterer from York) was taking lessons from him.

Back in the mid 60's, Ted was "THE" pedal steel player in central PA.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 6:24 am    

Sad news, I got to know Ted through snail mail during the late 90’s, he sent me some tapes of his very fine live work, and those jazzy lines are wowza, what a player....Thanks Ted, R.I.P friend.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 7:10 am    

Very sorry to hear this. I wasn't in Central PA when he was here, but got to know him through the forum. Another one of the good guys gone. RIP.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 7:19 am    

Rest in peace Ted.
I always wondered if we were related because my great grandparents were from PA. and his name is one of the variations of mine.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 8:47 am    

In the early 80s, I was in a band called Blazing Saddles. I remember meeting Ted at a club we were playing at in Robesonia, PA. We had conversations there, and I remember that he was very easy to get along with. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to hear him play. Rest in peace, Ted.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 9:02 am    

On Paul's video he posted, the Guess guitar looks and sounds like a Carter. Very Happy

Rest in peace Ted, prayers for the family.

Last edited by Fred Justice on 8 Apr 2020 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bruce Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 11:52 am     It is indeed a Carter

the shallow neck profile gives it away..great tone!

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 6:54 pm    

The "guess" guitar was a Carter Fred. Ted loved Bud Carter and their guitars but he liked to kid around and put guess on there to mess with people.

I believe Ted sold both his Carters to Mickey Byrne in the UK.

Ted and I go way back in the early days around the D/FW club scene. He moved in with me after one of his divorces and spent a lot of time showing me the way he approached playing various phrases.

Ted related many stories of women,the days he worked Las Vegas and the road days.

I'll miss him greatly.

Buddie Hrabal

Arlington,Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 6:56 pm    

I had the chance to become friends with Ted when he was in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. He subbed for me a few times and likewise I subbed for him. He was the only other ZB player I knew of in the area so we would talk a lot. He was a good player and had a unique sound. Rest in Peace Brother!

Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 6:48 pm     Msa

I bought a MSA from Ted one time drove up by Dallas and picked it up. He was a great player and a great guy. RIP Brother.

Burnell Groft

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 6:06 pm     My Ted rest peace

I have known Ted from the early 60's. He sold me a new ZB back then and showed me many links and techniques on the steel. We went to a couple of DJ conventions back in the late 60's, that was before he went to Texas. He was always willing to help anyone that ask,how did you do that? He will be great-ly missed. Rest in peace.