The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Squeaky A pedal
Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 2:32 pm    

I have a squeaky A pedal and it’s driving me insane! Help. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the changer end, sometimes from the pedal rod area. I lightly oiled every spot where metal on metal occurs. I put a drop oil in between changer fingers. I also oiled the rivet that holds the changer together and that seemed to work for a couple minutes. I am a home player so I don’t play very loud and it drives me insane! Also this is a brand new guitar

Thanks in advance

Brian G

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 2:34 pm    

Maybe it's your foot
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5. Both amazing guitars! Homemade buffer/overdrive with adjustable 700Hz "Fender" scoop., Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x TDA7294 80W class AB amps, or 2x BAM200 for stereo. TT12 and BW1501 each in its own closed back wedge. Also NV400 etc. etc...

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 2:39 pm    

What brand/model?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 2:49 pm    

I just recently tracked down a pedal squeak to a rod rubbing another rod. It was hard to find but it was a rod that ran past a bellcrank a little too close and it was making light contact with the bend of the rod going into that bellcrank. Because of gravity, it wasn't obvious to the eyes as I worked on the guitar in its cradle upsidedown. I moved a bellcrank 1/16" and all was well.
I swore it was coming from the pedal itself -- narrowing the location of sounds like that can be devilish.

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 2:54 pm    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
What brand/model?

Show Pro

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 2:55 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
I just recently tracked down a pedal squeak to a rod rubbing another rod. It was hard to find but it was a rod that ran past a bellcrank a little too close and it was making light contact with the bend of the rod going into that bellcrank. Because of gravity, it wasn't obvious to the eyes as I worked on the guitar in its cradle upsidedown. I moved a bellcrank 1/16" and all was well.
I swore it was coming from the pedal itself -- narrowing the location of sounds like that can be devilish.

Jon you aint kiddin. I thought I had it narrowed down to this problem as well, but I think it is something else.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 3:13 pm     Squeaky A pedal

That is a weird issue.
That A pedal should be whiney and crying, but never squeaky. Shocked Whoa! Laughing
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 3:32 pm    

I've tracked down a few squeaks in my day. Most of the time it's the ball connection at the pedal or the pedal axle on the pedal rack.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 3:49 pm    

Brian,Do you have a friend who can work the pedal while you try and find out where it's coming from?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 4:04 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Brian,Do you have a friend who can work the pedal while you try and find out where it's coming from?

Yeah Stu. I had my wife helping me out.
I thought I figured it out but it came back. Frustrating

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 4:26 pm    

Could it be at the left side of the pedal bar where it grabs the leg?
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5. Both amazing guitars! Homemade buffer/overdrive with adjustable 700Hz "Fender" scoop., Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x TDA7294 80W class AB amps, or 2x BAM200 for stereo. TT12 and BW1501 each in its own closed back wedge. Also NV400 etc. etc...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 4:32 pm    

Use the scientific approach; isolate the problem!

Unhook the "A" pedal rod from the pedal and just pull down on it with your hand. That will eliminate the ball-connector, the pedal, and the pedalboard from the squeak equation. Next, just take a screwdriver and push the finger to raise the string. That eliminates the bellcrank, the pullers, and the crossrod. What remains is just the changer and the keyhead/nut assembly.

With those three little tests, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of where the noise is originating.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 5:09 pm    

If Donny's method doesn't find it, here's a Life Hack: if you don't own a stethoscope, Dr. Gattis, find a used paper towel tube -- the cardboard thing from the middle of the roll. Put it to your ear as you move the other end around to different spots on the undercarriage while working the A-pedal, listening for trouble.

To replicate the squeak, you may have to do all this with the guitar set up in normal playing position, rather than, say, flipped upside-down in the case. Try it both ways. I've had this issue be the pedal rack slightly moving up and down on the leg, as Glenn already suggested.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 5:11 pm    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
Most of the time it's the ball connection at the pedal or the pedal axle on the pedal rack.
Was thinking the same.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 5:27 pm     stethoscope

I have found a mechanic's stethoscope to be a savior when trying to find those squeeky/clicky/scrapey noises!

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 5:32 pm    

Donny great advice I appreciate it! Makes perfect sense
Tucker I never thought of a using a stethoscope. I actually have one, and good to know about the paper towel tube trick!

Thanks for the tips. I will try again tomorrow

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 7:26 pm    

Reach under with your left hand and touch locations of A pedal activity one at a time whilst operating pedal, Then follow the rods with your right hand all the way back to the changer, you’ll be doing it blind as you’ll be sat at the steel, when you find it keep your finger on it then climb underneath and see what it is. Vibrations travel well through metal and can resonate all down the line.

Rods rubbing, ball connectors, shoes on pedals, loose bell crank, return spring, seat legs, loose end plate screws etc etc, just throwing out ideas.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 7:47 pm    

Put a few drops on the ball connector. I had the same issue and that cured it. Let us know what you find.

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 9:13 am    

There should be an adjustable stop at the crank where your pedal rod engages the crossrod. Shorten the travel of your of your pedal and make up for it on the end plate adjustment. The squeak should be gone.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 9:32 am    

Try a little oil on the inside radius of the hook on the pedal rod.

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 1:26 pm    

Ok got it figured out. It was 2 rods rubbing. Had to bust out the stethoscope to find it. Thanks for all the suggestions

Brian G

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 8:18 pm    

Good man....it’s not uncommon to move a bellcrank over a smidge to prevent that friction, you have to eyeball the situation to where there’s conflict and if there’s room for a slight tweak.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 9:23 pm    

You are safe...for now. But, for how long?

Squeaks would drive me nuts in the past as well. Now I give all squeaks a pass. same with rod rattle. I just try to ignore it, it eventually goes away or stops bothering.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 9:07 am    

I had the same problem with the B pedal on my GFI. I took it to Bob, at GFI and he had it fixed within the hour. It was in the changer. He didn't charge me a dime, and even gave me some extra parts that I might need in the future. Bob has always been very helpful to me.