13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Pay for repair
68%
 68%  [ 26 ]
Sell guitar to highest bidder
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Abandon it along with most of my material things, and live in a van down by the river.
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 38

Author Topic:  1973 Sho-Bud Pro II from the estate of Roy Clark
Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 8:03 pm    

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 1973 Sho-Bud Pro II with almost no smoke or cosmetic damage. 8 pedals, 6 knee levers. It was obtained from the estate of Roy Clark, and I'm wondering if anyone has any info on who may have played this particular instrument.

Apologies for ignorance and lack of term knowledge; this is my first post and it's almost as intimidating as trying to play this beauty. So, without further ado: I am having several issues.

A) the A, B, C pedals and some knee levers are partially or totally stuck, or not returning all the way. Is using a T9 bike chain lubricant a good way to lube the mechanism and fingers, etc? Btw, the C6 pedals (called 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 in this case?) seem to be working, but I'm not sure what the recommended copedent is for the C6 guitar on this particular 10 string Sho-Bud.

B) Roy left a handwritten tuning chart on a piece of paper in the case for this Sho-Bud. (I know he wasn't primarily, or even really ever, a steel player). The lower guitar is set up for C6, but the upper guitar is setup for C9th. It is literally a Standard E9th tuning, just dropped down two whole steps. The string gauges are accordingly heavier to account for the higher tension on lower tuning. I obviously want to bring the guitar back to having E9th tuning, and have ordered a set of strings. Will adjusting these strings and tuning help solve the sticky pedal/lever issues?

C) copedent for the E9th (currently C9th) guitar is almost impossible to verify with the A, B, and C pedals not returning, and some knee levers not functioning correctly. Troubleshooting needed, the pickups are rocking and she sounds gorgeous just playing open chords and lap steel stuff, but I need to move forward with restoring her to her glory.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. - Andrew Szumowski 4/20/20

Last edited by Andrew Szumowski on 21 Apr 2020 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 10:20 pm    

Nice find. Enjoy the project. I’d be honored to have Roy’s steel.
John

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 11:29 pm    

This is apparently a rare find - a Pro II in great cosmetic condition, and Ricky Davis' favourite Sho-Bud - see https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/008026.html and https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/005157.html

Definitely keep it and if you can't take it apart and clean it up yourself then pay someone to do it for you! It's got 6 knee levers too!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 2:51 am    

Welcome.
If everything is so sluggish, then the problem is (most likely) that the changer is gummed up. Oil could be tried on one or two spots but for something as comprehensive as your condition it would be using too much oil and you would have a bad mess (that would attract dirt and would only get worse). It really needs a cleaning and that would involve at least a good flushing with something like naphtha if not removal of the changer and a dunk in a dip tank and that requires proper facilities (garage, bucket, etc.).

Changing strings will have no bearing on this condition.

Just for your learning the terminology, the lower neck is called the rear neck, the upper is the front.

With a few of photos of the underside we could identify the setup of the E9 neck.

And I'd love to see photos of the whole guitar because....because.

Cool!

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 3:55 am    

Get 'er redone by Ricky Davis. Too special to do guesswork on a guitar owned by
ROY CLARK! Whoa!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 6:09 am    

OK Speaking of Roy Clark. We were fortunate to have Roy Clark announce us at one of the Last Live TV Grand Ole Opry Shows Here's the video>
https://youtu.be/GBYcZJqU56Q
When I was there that time; that was the first thing Roy did was run up to me when he saw my Sho~Bud Pro II and said: "Ricky; you have the best sounding Steel Guitar and I happen to have one like it, because of the sound".
I never got a chance to see Roy's Sho~bud; but we talked Sho~bud for at least 30 minutes and his passion for Sho~Bud Pedal Steel goes as far as almost anyone I met.
Ricky

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 6:11 am    

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 6:14 am    

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 6:14 am    

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 6:15 am    

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 6:16 am    

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 6:19 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
OK Speaking of Roy Clark. We were fortunate to have Roy Clark announce us at one of the Last Live TV Grand Ole Opry Shows Here's the video>
When I was there that time; that was the first thing Roy did was run up to me when he saw my Sho~Bud Pro II and said: "Ricky; you have the best sounding Steel Guitar and I happen to have one like it, because of the sound".
I never got a chance to see Roy's Sho~bud; but we talked Sho~bud for at least 30 minutes and his passion for Sho~Bud Pedal Steel goes as far as almost anyone I met.
Ricky

That is incredible! Any other memories or info on your time with Roy, or y'alls conversation, or his insight into this axe or yours, is a blessing! Feel free to send me a private message and we can exchange info, but I'm sure everyone on here would love to read more! Thank you Mr. Davis!!!!!!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 7:10 am    

Very cool...

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 8:15 am     1973 Sho-Bud Pro II from the estate of Roy Clark

Mr. Light, what is the best way to disassemble and clean this Sho-Bud? I've got some time.... I just need extremely detailed instructions hahaha

Jon Light wrote:
Welcome.
If everything is so sluggish, then the problem is (most likely) that the changer is gummed up. Oil could be tried on one or two spots but for something as comprehensive as your condition it would be using too much oil and you would have a bad mess (that would attract dirt and would only get worse). It really needs a cleaning and that would involve at least a good flushing with something like naphtha if not removal of the changer and a dunk in a dip tank and that requires proper facilities (garage, bucket, etc.).

Changing strings will have no bearing on this condition.

Just for your learning the terminology, the lower neck is called the rear neck, the upper is the front.

With a few of photos of the underside we could identify the setup of the E9 neck.

And I'd love to see photos of the whole guitar because....because.

Cool!

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 8:16 am    

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 8:30 am    

Or. You could sell it to ME and then go live in a van down by the river. Laughing

Incredible guitar with a great story.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 8:33 am    

Andrew -- I'm pretty good underneath a steel but I have never (yet) pulled a changer and there is no way I will attempt to guide you.
I assume that if you are wanting to get your hands on it it means that you have confidence in your mechanical ability and pretty much I can confirm that what you see is what you have there. BUT -- I cannot recommend that you go for such a radical disassembly, not having a strong familiarity with the anatomy of a steel guitar.
If you do go ahead, you will need someone better than me as a guide.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 8:54 am    

As a first step to understanding what you got, get/build a stable workstand for it and start wiggling the pedals and levers to see how it works.

B0b Lee sells a nice one "ACCESSORIES" link on top rigt of page but is not able to operate his shop now because all businesses are restricted where he is.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=205738

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 9:09 am    

IMO, this guitar has provenance and is worth reconditioning. I suggest part of your E9 problem is that you need a proper set of strings tuned to the correct pitch. This will provide the tension to help your pedals work.as they should. Smile

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 9:53 am    

It looks pretty clean, you may not need to take it apart. Maybe some solvent in the changer followed by a thin lubricant.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 10:13 am     the poll

To answer poll question:

Keep buying historically significant instruments until you have enough for a museum!

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 11:06 am    

Thanks Mr. Schouten. Best hardware store or auto store available solvent? Would I drip this onto the fingers, after removing the strings?

What are the best brands, and methods, for all stages of cleaning? I'll obviously try cleaning it, and putting an E9th string set on, before taking anything apart.

Marco Schouten wrote:
It looks pretty clean, you may not need to take it apart. Maybe some solvent in the changer followed by a thin lubricant.

Andrew Szumowski

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 11:09 am    

Mr. Davis, how would I go about cleaning this at home? It doesn't seem very greased up, I just need instruction.

Ricky Davis wrote:
Ricky

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 12:15 pm    

That guitar looks remarkably clean for it's age, and I see no reason to tear it down. Just give it a light oiling, leave it sit for a day or two, and then play it! Cool

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 12:19 pm    

Andrew; this is what I do for a living> "Sho~bud pedal steel guitar Restoration". Like I tell my customers..."I can take every single part off a D-10 Steel in 30 minutes; but It takes 3 months to put it back together...ha..
That means Every single part comes off and gets what ever it needs to restore it back to original or new part made in the original way. For me to tell you what to do and how to do it....would Shut down this whole website with Data overload...ha....but fortunately you are in luck. At the top where you sign in; there is a "Search" button....click it and then select "Google Search" then you can type in: "ricky davis cleaning shobud changer" or "Ricky Davis taking out changer" or "ricky davis pickin his nose"..ha....ha...so you can get a million things I've posted through the years; including the most famous Lloyd Green "lightening bolt" fingertip that is in the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum in Nashville; that I restored> here's a pic and here's a pic Lloyd Looking at it...(his back to us.).

Good Luck.
Ricky