The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who Makes a clean sounding delay pedal (or rackmount)
Mitchell Goldberg

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 12:12 pm    

Who Makes a clean sounding delay pedal (or rack) that does not ruin my tone?

I have a Sierra Artist steel with a Session 400 Limited amp. I am putting my delay pedal in the 2nd effects loop, and it muddies my sound slightly. I have tried 3 different devices, Boss delay pedal (old), MidiverbIII delay and a Digitec multieffedcts delay. They ALL muddy my sound taking away some high end muffling my tone. Its not drastic, but takes away some clairity and openness of my sound.

I am a relatively new steel player,and this my 1st post on the forum. Thanks, Mitch

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 1:09 pm    

Since you're in Canada, I'd recommend a Diamond Memory Lane Jr, an excellent NS made delay. It sounds like you like a lot of high end- Boss Digital Delays should maintain that- apologies if this sounds basic (never know where a player is coming from) but delay is reintroducing your signal - by nature it can have a muddying effect. I'd also recommend trying your pedals in line in addition to your loop- they tend to act different in different places.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 3:36 pm    

Go to the back of the amp head. Find the pre-amp out and the power amp in jacks. Patch the pedal there. That might solve the problem. The other option is to purchase a match box or equivalent.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 10:39 pm    

Mitchell, the Hilton Pro Delay is a very good clear pedal.
Jerry

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 4:14 am    

Strymon and TC Electronic make high fidelity delays.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 5:28 am    

I have 3 different amp/effects combinations. I recently added a TC Electronic M-350 rack mount Processor to my Session 400 Limited and it's a great combination. I programmed a few delay and reverb settings into it. I patched into the rear input/outputs.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 7:05 am    

Sounds like you are looking for digital delay. I would look at those first. Maybe skip anything that is an emulation of tape or bucket brigade. They add distortion and artifacts. There are tons of cheap ones out there that work great. Skip anything that says warm, full, authentic or says “sounds like a....”

I personally like analog bucket brigade delays but they do have a sorta fuzzy sound.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 7:38 am    

With one of my other setups, I use a MXR Carbon Copy analog delay and TC Electronic Hall Of Fame Digital Reverb with a Revelation Tube Preamp and really like the combination and tone.
I guess you can approach it from a few different angles with good results.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 7:45 am    

Time out.

Mitchell has tried three different devices.
Boss delay pedal (old),
MidiverbIII delay and a
Digitec multieffedcts delay.

These are all good devices, yet none of them work? So the solution is to buy another unit?

I suspect something else is not right here.
So what could it be? I don't know, but my gut tells me that buying more stuff is not going to help.

I think the Session 400 LTD is a teal stripe series.
If so, the manual that I found on the internet shows that there are at least five different ways to hook up an effects unit.
- Straight in
- Pre EQ (usually used for a volume pedal)
- Effects 1
- Effects 2
- Pre amp out / Power amp in

Have you tried all five ways?

Have you tried different patch cables?

You say that your sound is muddy.
Is it the basic tone that is muddy, or is it only the delays and not the initial note?

Do you have the footswitch for the amp? If so, it appears that Effects 1 and 2 are footswitchable. So.......
Patch in one of the units.
Set it to bypass (not effecting).
Then use the amp footswitch to switch between the loop being off, versus the loop being on but with the effect being off or not effecting. I hope that's clear.
Is there any difference in tone?

There are lots of other things you could try.
However, something still tells me that spending more money and buying more stuff is not the answer.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 8:37 am    

Sounds more like a Pickup loading missmatch to me.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 8:44 am    

I agree with Mitchell. Something is awry in the path. The delay or reverb usually goes at the end of the patch, between Pre-amp/power amp on the back. Use good quality short patch cords. You probably won't need over 12 inch patch cords.If using a pot pedal, you could also try incorporating the volume pedal in the pre-eq patch for added clarity.

Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 8:17 am     Re: Who Makes a clean sounding delay pedal (or rackmount)

Mitchell Goldberg wrote:
They ALL muddy my sound taking away some high end muffling my tone. Its not drastic, but takes away some clairity and openness of my sound.

This is a tough one because a slight (not drastic) loss of high end clarity to one persons ear could be the fatness that delay is supposed to add to another’s ear. I doubt there is anything wrong with using any of the different patch points on the Session Limited, but they probably won’t affect the tone that much. I tend to agree with Bob in that it sounds like the OP may be happier with a digital delay, which doesn’t add artifacts to emulate an analog sound.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 9:00 am    

I love my Strymon DIG pedal. It's a dual delay with tap tempo, and you can set one of them to be a fraction of the other. Mix as desired. Sort of expensive, though.

When I had a rack system, I used two Lexicon MX-100 units. It's also very clean. Still have one of them - I'd sell it for $100 USD if you want it.

I don't like analog delays. They always sound muddy to me.

Rene Brosseau

Chatham,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 9:51 am     Effects

Mitchell...I know just what you mean...I have tried many delay pedals & rackmount units as well. I always go back to the Boss....but I have to use my Goodrich Steel Driver buffet amp clip on with it or the sound is muddy....I’ve been told the Benado analog effects are clean & don’t need a buffer
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 12:54 am    

I'm with AJM here , something is amiss. Don't buy new stuff until you figure out why the old STUFF ain't performing. You may just end up with MORE stuff that ain't performing to your liking.

I use 3 different Delays, REAL cheap to NOT cheap. None of them experience what Mitchell is experiencing. In fact, I question myself as to why I paid 3x as much for the used "Brand Name" Delay over the brand new one for $29 !

Maybe its just a bad pedal ? Or corroded jack, or a bad cable etc...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dennis Ellerbee

Jackson, Georgia US
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2020 2:30 pm     Delaypedal

Just get yourself a Benado Steel Dream pedal. You will not find a better pedal. Best sound I have found.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 9:51 am    

Your problem could be cable capacitance. Try your reverb pedal using a short cord right out of the volume pedal, and then straight into the front of the amp.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 7:05 pm    

Hmmm those pedals you mentioned are they analog? And is uour initial attack muddy or just the repeats? If its your repeats that are muddy than could be the delays are doing what they are suposed to be doing.

Try this. Donny Hinson may have been on to something. Take each of your patch cables individually snd plug them into the fx loop one at a time.. you may have one cable messing with your tone.

If you get it no matter which cable you have. Try your setup on another amp. If it doesnt muddy up your tone there than you may have an issue somrwhere in your amp.

You may need to take the amp head unit to have looked at- serviced and possibly recapped. After all it is an old amp.

Just experiement trial and error, rule things out until you get it narrowed down.