The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bandmaster versus Bassman
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 2:00 pm    

I am day-dreaming/thinking I'd like to have a two channel non-reverb amp head powered by two 6L6 power tubes. The non-reverb Bandmaster and the Bassman come to mind. This would be for lower volume situations where a Showman or Twin Reverb is too much.

What are the the differences and which would be best for sparkling clean tube tone PSG? I never use tremolo so that feature on the Bandmaster is meaningless. Do they have the same transformers? Do they both have solid state rectifiers?

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 2:05 pm    

this site will answer your questions.

http://fenderguru.com/amps/

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 3:31 pm    

Paul, I have 2 Bassman amps. A 50w and 70w. I also have 2 Twin Reverbs, 85 w and 135w. The Bassman sound great at most volumes but I couldn't keep up with the boys when things got loud. The Twins can handle it all. Of course they weigh a ton. I recently got the new Tonemaster Twin and I'm quite happy with tone and the weight.

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 4:17 pm    

Hi Paul, I was talking about my bandmaster reverb in a thread that Tony P. started a ways down this page about using split pedal boards. Of course this amp started as head that eventually went into a combo cab and has reverb, but it is a 2 channel Fender tube head with 2 channels, and here are some changes I made:

Quote:
I'm not a electrical engineer, but I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron and safety precautions. Started with the early 70's Bandmaster Reverb head and put it in a lightweight pine combo cab. Did some of the common mods to get it louder and cleaner. Bassman power transformer, 5751 tubes in the preamp sockets, new electrolytic caps to replace the originals. Nothing radical. Lastly put an EPS 15C in the combo cab. With PSG and volume on 5-6 it's LOUD and clean, and beautiful. The 6 stringer sounds great also. I haven't messed with the rectifier circuit or put reverb on both channels (yet).

The problem was that the normal channel does not have the mid control...the vibrato channel does. So the Psg needs the vibrato channel with the mid control to sound best.

I hope that addresses some of what you asked about. BTW the Bassman output transformer beefs up the smaller stock BM transformer.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 4:31 pm    

I have a original 59 BassMan i might be willing to sell...

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 5:10 pm     ...fwiw...

I've owned 2 Bandmasters...and MANY Bassmans...

The Bassmans always sounded stronger than the Bandmasters...probably due to the solid state rectifier circuit and bigger transformers...

I carry a blackface Bassman head as a spare and have used it many times in the studio...as long as you know its limitations,it sounds just like a little Twin...live?It'll break up pretty quick with a steel-a live gig would be a long night for me(I like it CLEAN)...

The Bassman is my go-to for electric guitar...you can play the smallest club or the biggest theater with it...

I've used it in both.

SH

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 6:25 pm    

It's increasingly looking like I need a Bassman. But dang, they are expensive. I guess the rock guitar players want them.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 7:09 pm    

I have a '65 Band Master that I use with a Fender tube reverb unit that I think sounds great. It has a solid state rectifier. I also have a Bassman head. The difference is 10 watts. I honestly don't notice the difference in power. I use it with the original 2-12 cab or a variety of 15" speakers depending on how I feel that day.
Love the Twin, but it can be too much...😄

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 7:10 pm     ...yep..

They ain't getting any cheaper...and once again...

...with a loud drummer/bass player,it ain't gonna be what I'd call"sparkling clean"...

SH

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 7:35 pm    

I pulled the original speakers out of the 2-12 cab and replaced them with 2 of the TC Furlong 12's. They seem to have more 'apparent' volume, but it is a 40 watt amp 😃

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 11:53 pm    

in a nutshell, because you asked. The differences between the two are noticeable. Yep, they are both built on the famous Fender 2 x 6L6 platform but they are not equal. The most noticeable "technical "difference is the Output Trans. One is lighter, one is beefy, which gives the Bassman the edge for a cleaner platform.

Both are very able to perform in a smaller to medium setting but if you want to push it a tad more, then that's where the Bassman will become a better friend.

Both are capable. My personal opinion , after owing several of each, is the Bandmaster is my LEAST favorite Fender amp. That doesn't mean I would not use one, but given a choice...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 10:25 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
...the Bandmaster is my LEAST favorite Fender amp.

I would tend to echo that statement, but it's not universally accepted. In a previous lifetime, noted amp tech, designer, and builder of SAVAGE amps Jeff Krumm did all the service work on my amps. Jeff also had a collection of dozens of classic blackface and tweed Fenders he would rent to recording studios and concert promoters. I once asked Jeff what his personal preference was among the blackface Fenders and without hesitation he answered "Bandmasters." But Jeff was a drummer, so...

https://savageamps.com/

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 1:19 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:
...the Bandmaster is my LEAST favorite Fender amp.

I would tend to echo that statement, but it's not universally accepted.

Just remember I said least favorite FENDER amp !

Not least FAVORITE AMP !

Overall its still a GREAT AMP ! Very Happy

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 8:17 am    

Just some random thoughts, which are open to discussion.....

If you had a Bandmaster, and disconnected the tremolo and/or reverb from the signal path, it might produce a noticeable difference in tone due to any loading on the signal path of the reverb channel.

If someone were to sit down and compare the schematics, you might be able to change some resistors/capacitors in the Bandmaster to get them close.

Keep in mind that there were several iterations/models of both amps over the years, so you need to compare apples to apples.

Several years ago I saw a YT video with Brent Mason.
I was surprised to see a BF Bassman head in his rack.
As soon as I saw that, I could see a run on Bassman heads coming.

In the latest issue of Guitar Player there is a picture of Eric Johnson's multi amp rig.
There are two Bandmasters among the amps.
So get ready for a run on those, too.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 9:28 am    

ajm wrote:

In the latest issue of Guitar Player there is a picture of Eric Johnson's multi amp rig.
There are two Bandmasters among the amps.

wow ! that would be a new twist, usually, EJ's carries 2 x Twins for his totally clean tone. A 100 watt Marshall for some of his drive and a 50 watt Marshall for full out in your face drive.

We were supposed to see EJ last week in CLT, obviously postponed. Last year he had the rig mentioned above.

Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 6:51 pm     bandmaster

this is my bandmaster.

it's a blackface ab763 fitted into a deluxe reverb cabinet
with an eminence neo 12 pedal steel speaker. it sounds beautiful
and weighs only 40 lbs. my style leans towards rock music so
i am okay with a little hair on my tone. i have a old super reverb
too. i like fender amps best.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 4:04 am    

great idea with the band master now you have twice the wattage love it!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 4:22 am    

The Bassman can work well with steel...using the original speaker cabinet. But if you run the head with a typical open-backed cabinet, i find the low efficiency makes it barely adequate for gigging. The original speaker cabinet effectively doubles the power of the amp. Cool

Thomas Sabatini

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 7:40 am    

Both are great but I love Bandmasters, the redheaded stepchild of the Fender line. It's my favorite Fender for the very reasons many don't like it. The stiffer SS rectifier and lower gain makes it a clean machine at lower volumes and lets you really hit the front end without crushing the preamp stage. It's super dynamic but at higher volumes the tiny OT saturates so you can get nice sustain without a lot of crunch from the input channel (unless you boost it). It's less fat (bloated?) than a Bassman making for the stringy, Fender cleans I love. With a frontend boost, it's easier to straddle clean/saturated with an instrument's volume knob.

BF Fenders with reverb have more gain in the preamp stage and and often a tube rectifier wich makes them fatter and saggier.

Ron Shalita wrote:
great idea with the band master now you have twice the wattage love it!

That's a non-reverb Showman. Smile I have a butchered Bandmaster with Dual Showman transformers. They're pretty much identical to each other but for the iron and the middle knob on the vibrato channel. Great amp!

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 10:44 am    

get a showman head. basically a twin without the reverb. personally you would do better with tankless verb.

bandmaster will be better for guitar....distortion.

bassman will be cleaner than a bandmaster for steel, showman would be cleaner than the bassman.

your mileage may vary.