The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Katana 50 watt
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 2:00 pm    

I’m just a bedroom player and a poor one at that. I’m wondering if any other bedroom players are using the Katana 50 and what your settings are. I tried the settings that someone had up for the 100 watt Katana but they just don’t work for the 50.
I know a lot of people frown on these amps but I’m never taking the show on the road, I already did that as a drummer. So go easy on me, I’m very fragile.
Everyone stay home and stay safe.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Rene Brosseau

Chatham,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 3:13 pm     Katana

Hi Charlie ...have you tried the search feature At the top right of this page? Sometimes it takes a while for responses...good luck from Ontario...Rene
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 3:27 pm    

I tried the search and found some suggestions but they’re all for the 100 watt Katana and they don’t. I guess I’ll get the laptop out and get into the tone software and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the reply.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 5:04 pm     Re: Katana 50 watt

Charlie Hansen wrote:
I’m just a bedroom player and a poor one at that. I’m wondering if any other bedroom players are using the Katana 50 and what your settings are. I tried the settings that someone had up for the 100 watt Katana but they just don’t work for the 50.

I don't have a Katana, but in my experience almost any amp will work for living room playing. To dial in a tone, I'd start with the "clean" channel, no reverb, and turn the bass EQ all the way up. Then I'd add middle and treble until it reached an even volume on all of the strings with the bar at the 5th fret. Lastly, I'd add a small amount of reverb.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 5:07 pm    

Charlie, wish I could help. Mine is 100w so I know things are different. I am sure some of the Forum members are using the 50w, I remember seeing posts. Maybe someone will see this. Get the tone studio and use the extra eq function.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 5:40 pm    

Thanks for the replies. I have the Tone Studio and I’m going to have to dig into it. I know these aren’t the greatest amp but they should sound better than this won does right now.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 5:42 pm    

I also have a Carter D10, geo L e66/10-1 going into a Katana 50 Mk 1.

I don't use the controls/effects on the amp, I have this chain which sounds good for the budget

steel > Boss LMB3 > Hilton or Goodrich VP > TC Spark booster > Katana

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 7:54 pm     Katana 50 watt

I had a 100 head run into a GD Walker cabinet with a JBL D-130 speaker. I used the acoustic setting and a Wet Reverb stomp box reverb. I thought it sounded really good. I never had to turn it up to 100 watts even in a pretty loud band. I thought the amp reverb was very good. I think the sound is in the amp. You just have to get it out. The only reason I sold mine was to raise some cash for a good deal on an Evans SE 200 I couldn't pass up.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 8:18 am    

Which amp model are you using? Like George K. says, I have read in other threads players are using the Acoustic setting and getting good results with their steel. If you are playing through the amp’s speaker, make sure the cabinet emulator in the program is off. Switch it on for headphones or direct to a mixer.

Hey, we’re all bedroom players now, right?

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 1:05 pm    

I’m generally using the acoustic model but I have one channel set up using the clean channel to get a bit more brightness. I think I’m getting it close to sounding like a steel now by fooling around with the software.
We’re all bedroom players now but when you guys aren’t any more I’ll still be a bedroom player. Thanks everyone for the replys. It’s been very helpful.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 2:20 pm    

OK, my post isn't real helpful but I ordered a ART TPS II Tube Mic Preamp with 12ax7 which I hope will bring the sound up a notch, will receive this week and update.

If it works as well as I hope, I'll probably bite the bullet and order a Sarno black box or PreSonus Studio Channel.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 7:20 pm    

Charlie, don't sell the Katana short. Just because it don't cost an arm and a leg people think it's inadequate. I have a 100 and love it. The best Tele amp I've owned, and great for steel as well. I've played some big rooms and it does everything I ask it to. Anything bigger would need to be miked Now are you playing Steel Or guitar with yours?
I use the clean channel for Steel I would start with my mid's all the way to the left, Bass at 12:00 and treble at 10:00 to start. Get the tone you want and store it to Channel one. Then start adding effects, like your delay and verb and store them to channel one. This amp has the best effects out there.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 3:36 am    

I’m using it for steel and even at the 25 watt setting I can get lots of volume it’s just that the tone has a little “fur” on it if you know what I mean. Sometimes it isn’t clean sounding.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 5:36 am    

I’ve had a 100 for a few years now, great for steel and my Tele, I think I posted my settings a while back, search will find it. Biggest improvement came when my son and I built a custom solid pine cabinet.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 6:05 am    

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still working on it. I'll get it. It'll just take time.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 12:02 pm    

Hi Charlie. A lot of people like those katanas. I've heard a lot fo them swap out the speaker for a steel friendly upgrade. What kind of cabinet are you running? I would suggest an upgrade to speaker that is voiced for steel guitar it will make all the diference in the world. Long and Mcquade is an eminence dealer. Check them out

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 12:42 pm     Katana 50

Hi Charlie,
I have a Boss Katana 50 that I use for 8 string lap steel. At home it is set on 25 watts and when I played at our large Church "multipurpose room" I set it on 50 watts.
Here are my settings: Clean, gain-11, vol.-12, bass-3 o clock, mid 11, treb-10. The reverb is OK, but a pedal, [wet reverb or something similar is better]. I consider it a good little amp, but for pedal steel, I have one of the new "Tone Master Twin Reverbs.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 4:27 pm    

I’m just using the standard Katana 50 combo with the stock speaker .I have it not too bad but it may need an upgraded speaker. I’d rather sell this and put the money into another amp. Since I don’t play out I don’t need anything wonderful but I know what it should sound like and it doesn’t. I’ll keep working on it. I can’t go out for another week so I’ll use my time on trying to make this thing sound better. Thanks for your settings George, I’ll try them.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 4:41 pm    

You can borrow my nashville 112 for as long as you want Charlie. You.can do your own comparison. I still need to give you that piece of mica that I promised you while back so I can drop both off.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 4:48 pm    

Thanks Quentin. I’m in quarantine until about April 8 but after that I’d be only to glad to take you on your.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 10:11 pm     Katana 50 watt

If you've decided to get another amp, consider an Evans. I have been re-configuring my set-up today and I have the best tone I've ever had with any amp and I've owned them all except the high end boutique ones that I can't afford.

I am going guitar > Black Box > 120 pot pedal > Evans SE 200 amp with a Wet Reverb and a DD-3 in the amp effects loop. Really a sweet sound. It doesn't get any better than this IMHO.

Good luck finding the sound you are seeking.

Jim Devoe

Fawn Grove PA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 5:43 am     katana 50.

Charlie, I have one of these. Had same issues. I put a Travis Toy in. Helped some but it was not worth the price of the speaker for the difference. The best thing I found was to put a EQ in the amp. I used a boss . I did what I could with eq off and then fine tuned it with eq on . I have two amps and use eq in both. Hope this info may be of some help. TAKE CARE !

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 5:58 pm    

Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to try presonus preamp tomorrow and see if that helps. I might also try external reverb and delay pedals I have a bunch kicking around here.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 7:11 pm    

Charlie Hansen wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to try presonus preamp tomorrow.

Which one? I just got an ART TPS and a PreSonus Channel Strip. A 12ax7 (you can swap in a lower gain 12at7 or 5751 or an ECC equivalent) can add warmth and depth to the tone.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 11:52 am    

It’s a presonus tube pre with a 12ax7. I tried it today and it really increased the gain and gave the amp a tubey sound which only makes sense.
I have a tube ART that I might try as well as a Behringer.