The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Black and Pee Wee Whitewing
Andie Whitewing

Lafayette, LA now Bellingham, WA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 11:13 pm    

Dear Folk,

You may or may not know that Bobby Black (and his late brother Larry Black) and my Pa Pee Wee Whitewing were like brothers from the time they met when Pee Wee and Bobby were both 14, in 1948, while Pee Wee was playing with Shorty Joe and the Red Rock Canyon Cowboys (who Bobby and Larry later played with as well when Pee Wee moved on to play with Lefty Frizzell). When Pee Wee returned from being on the road and in the studio with Lefty, he briefly rejoined Shorty's band, and he, his late wife Doye, and the Black brothers started a band called The West Coast All Stars. They were all in their late teens and were swinging on the local radio. We have some recordings that Bobby shared with us that his dad made by laying a microphone on the floor in front of the radio speaker in his living room on nights when they aired on the local radio station.

One of the many gifts my Pa has left me is an extended musical family, and in the last few years I have had the privilege of getting to know Bobby personally and developing a deep friendship with him. He has shared with me stories about my Pa and my late grandmother and uncle that no one else knows, because he was there with them at those tender times in their lives.

I want to share some photos with you all - this is part of celebrating the legacy Pee Wee leaves behind. Bobby is still alive and well and playing, and in him a piece of Pee Wee lives on, as it does in those of us who are descended from him. Our extended musical family is a special kind of gift those of us who are are blessed to be musicians understand in a way other people do not. Making music together is such a deeply spiritually intimate enterprise - we bare our souls to and with one another and when it's really good, we transcend together.

I am feeling so deeply grateful for the steel guitar and western swing music communities that have given Pee Wee so much joy, gratitude, and love across the span of his life. Thank you for keeping his memory alive.

Love,
Andie Whitewing
andie@whitewingmusic.com
(I'll be adding photos from two different computers, some of which are just of Bobby, and some of Pee Wee and Bobby together or in the same bands)

This is Bobby at Guerrilla Recording, Myles Boisen's studio in Oakland, CA, recording some tracks for one of my EPs and a track for an upcoming single release (with both him and Pee Wee featured on steel) on September 19, 2017. Myles was the co-producer and mastering engineer on Pee Wee's "Heart of Steel" album, and Bobby frequently plays with him in the East Bay area in his band Crying Time. These photos were taken by Myles as well.

Bobby and Larry Black (The Black Brothers)

This is Bobby playing with the California Cowboys in September of 2017. Photo by Andie Whitewing.

We had a get together/jam at Myles' place before the studio session. This is a photo of Andie Whitewing (me, Pee Wee's granddaughter and adopted/surrogate daughter), Bobby Black, and Dave Brown, blues bassist and son of Hank and Norma Brown, who are lifelong friends of Pee Wee's and Bobby's. Hank Brown got Pee Wee his first music gig playing with Tex Randall. September 2017. Photo by Myles Boisen.

Left to Right: Pee Wee Whitewing (steel, vocals), Larry Black (guitar), Bobby Black (steel), Jim Hurley (trumpet), unidentified (bass), Jack Greenback (drums) Front: Doye Ann Thibodeaux Whitewing (vocals, guitar)

Famously mislabeled in the Bigsby Steel book, this photo has Shorty Joe's handwriting on it and shows Bobby on Pee Wee's steel and Larry on guitar, with Pee Wee on guitar, with Shorty Joe and the Red Rock Canyon Cowboys. Bobby thinks his dad took this photo[/img]

A young Bobby and Larry Black.

Bobby and Larry Black, a little more mature.

Larry Black, Pee Wee and Doye Whitewing - Oklahoma City.

Last edited by Andie Whitewing on 29 Mar 2020 4:47 pm; edited 4 times in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 4:47 am    

Thanks so much for sharing, Andie. So sorry for your loss. I never saw your "Pa," but had the opportunity to hear Bobby a couple times with the Airmen. The last time was with my teen-aged son in St. Paul, MN about 20 years black when they guested on the gone but not forgotten Prairie Home Companion radio show. I'll never forget my son's words after the show: "So that's how that thing you play is supposed to sound."

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 11:59 am    

Thank You Andie for sharing and it's good to see you back on the Forum. Keep on posting and telling the good time stories along with pictures. J.R. Rose

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 2:40 pm    

Andrea, thanks for those memories. Love western swing and your dad was one of the greats. What a fantastic career and major contribution to the music we love.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 2:49 pm     👏

Great pictures- thanks for sharing!

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 3:57 pm    

Love seeing these thanks for sharing therewith the Steel Guitar Forum & community!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 4:37 pm    

The pics are priceless. Thank you for posting them here.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 12:07 pm    

💖❤️🤠

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 4:19 am    

Great pictures, always enjoyed my time with Pee Wee at steel shows...Prayers to all the family...

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 5:51 am    

A million thanks for posting these.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.