The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone try a Wet/Dry amp setup with PSG.
Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 2:46 am    

Ive been experimenting with a two amp setup on 6 string for a little bit, and recently started the process with PSG. So, Im curious if anyone else has some experiance to share. Particularly interested if anyone is playing this sort of rig out gigging or professionally recorded.

I'm gonna define this set up with Compression, EQ, Overdrive, and Volume pedal into both amps, with delay, modulation and reverb going into the wet amp. (Wet/Dry/wet if you have a thrid amp and stereo effects).

Im finding the sound from the guitar coming through cleaner and fuller, and the separation of the reverb and delay keeping a cleaner overall tone. Though I am experiancing ground loop based hum I'll need to address if I play this rig out of the house.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 5:17 am    

Yeah, we used to do that way back when, starting probably mid-late 80s or so.

I found a post I made in an old thread concerning this wet/dry config. Maybe you'll find this snip of it useful.

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
There are several ways to connect 2 amps, along with your fx devices for 2 channel sound.

Back in the days when we started using 2 amps, a common connection would be: Vol ped out to first amp's #1 input. From same amp's #2 [b]input, yes input to processor input. Out of processor device to input #1 of second amp. This was referred to as clean amp/dirty amp config. You would always have your pure clean steel sound in amp #1 and all the effects, wet as you like in amp #2. Then use the volume controls of both to blend the amps to suit your situation. Jeff Newman was a proponent of this configuration and shared the info in his newsletters.

You could also go first into your processor and then a separate connection out to each amp....you could also use 2 outputs of a vol pedal, the fx loops...several ways to connect.

Using 2 amps of different designs and/or speakers of different sizes will enhance the effect also.

Or in your case, if you wanted to use some fx in one amp and other fx in the other amp, you could achieve that via the chains you design.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 7:33 am     Anybody try a wet/dry setup with psg

Jeff Newman ran chorus on one amp. He demonstrated it at one of his school classes I attended in the early 80's.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 9:49 am    

For a safe way to eliminate the ground loop hum, I recommend the Hum-X:

Click Here

Click Here

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat