The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud 6140
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 7:13 pm    

Looks like the barrel on your 4th string at the C pedal is screwed all the way in...meaning there's only one direction the barrel can adjust. The threads need to start off halfway screwed in, so there's enough travel for the adjustment in either direction. Start there with all your barrels, and things should improve.
And... don't lube those threads. You want them to have enough grip, so they don't unscrew themselves as you play.

Nice guitar... I have a '72 6139. Good luck with it & enjoy the ride...

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 8:47 pm     Re: Sho Bud 6140

Leanne Douglas wrote:
...I’m a newbie here. New to PSG but an old muso from way back...

Might this be you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQd0Lu0f0g&list=OLAK5uy_lGusODmQ5Oiz8a5a3pXPoM4JMDyqH26Kc

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 7:29 am    

If you need help with your Bud
Ricky Davis is certainly capable too do anything to a bud that can be done✅.
For full Bud restorations he’s my first choice!!
An on a Bud full restoration by Ricky you add’ tremendous value too your Bud especially
The model your getting.

Leanne Douglas

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 8:17 pm     She-Bud 6140

Yes Ian, that is me....I also have a guitar instrumental album on iTunes .... Smile

Ian, thank you for the long response to my questions. I have tinkered with the guitar today, and have fixed it I think! For the first time I have been able to tune both strings and pedals....Michael Yahl gave me some good advice too....he thinks the guitar is lemon as far as how it's got 3 different generations of hardware underneath and other crappy things. I did have an overtuning issue.

So for now, I will stick with this guitar and get used to it. It is a three pedal, three knee lever set up. Three pedals are disengaged = not in use.

Everyday I learn something new with it. I love it so much. I wish I had started when I was younger. Anyway, it has come along at the right time in my life when I needed something new musically.

[/quote]

Leanne Douglas

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 8:28 pm    

Johnie King wrote:
If you need help with your Bud
Ricky Davis is certainly capable too do anything to a bud that can be done✅.
For full Bud restorations he’s my first choice!!
An on a Bud full restoration by Ricky you add’ tremendous value too your Bud especially
The model your getting.

That would be nice....but no possible as I live in Australia.

Leanne Douglas

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 8:30 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:
Looks like the barrel on your 4th string at the C pedal is screwed all the way in...meaning there's only one direction the barrel can adjust. The threads need to start off halfway screwed in, so there's enough travel for the adjustment in either direction. Start there with all your barrels, and things should improve.
And... don't lube those threads. You want them to have enough grip, so they don't unscrew themselves as you play.

Nice guitar... I have a '72 6139. Good luck with it & enjoy the ride...

Thank you....yes, the 4th string C pedal was giving me trouble, but I freed up the barrel and did some things and now I can tune the whole thing!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 9:46 pm    

Well... my work here is done. Glad that helped. Have fun...
Nice tracks, btw....

Leanne Douglas

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 9:39 pm     Sho-bud 6140

Can someone tell me what I clean the barrels with please. I know how to get them off.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 4:45 am    

You can use a variety of solvent based cleaners such as lacquer thinner, naptha (lighter fluid), carburetor cleaner, etc.
Exercise safety measures when using any highly flammable substances and do it outside with plenty of ventilation.

As Skip stated, DO NOT USE ANY LUBRICANT WHEN REASSEMBLING!

Naptha is a good general purpose cleaner for most everything on the guitar, just be careful with it on the finish. It shouldn't affect it but it can remove decals.

You should also clean the changer by placing newspaper under the guitar and flushing down through the changer with the naptha while moving all of the finger components. Once it's dry, a drop of lightweight lubricant at each pivot point will help its playability. Use Tri-Flow (my preference), gun oil, sewing machine oil, 3-in-1, etc.

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Leanne Douglas

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 2:32 pm     Sho-bud 6140

Michael Yahl wrote:
You can use a variety of solvent based cleaners such as lacquer thinner, naptha (lighter fluid), carburetor cleaner, etc.
Exercise safety measures when using any highly flammable substances and do it outside with plenty of ventilation.

As Skip stated, DO NOT USE ANY LUBRICANT WHEN REASSEMBLING!

Naptha is a good general purpose cleaner for most everything on the guitar, just be careful with it on the finish. It shouldn't affect it but it can remove decals.

You should also clean the changer by placing newspaper under the guitar and flushing down through the changer with the naptha while moving all of the finger components. Once it's dry, a drop of lightweight lubricant at each pivot point will help its playability. Use Tri-Flow (my preference), gun oil, sewing machine oil, 3-in-1, etc.

Michael

Thank you Michael I will do it. 😀

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2020 2:01 am    

Leanne I sent you a Private Message