The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud 6140
Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 6:53 am    

Soon to receive a Sho-Bud 6140 - 6 pedals - any thoughts concerning this SPG?

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 9:00 am    

My first PSG, about 40 years ago. Pretty birdseye maple blonde, nice and light.

Wonderful sweet woody tone, kind of clanky with the rack and barrel mechanics, but turn the amp up and drown that out, it was great. No knees was a big issue, so I traded it in on a Sierra uni, new.

To my mind, a great candidate for a C6 guitar, add a knee or three, pretty easy to do with the resources available to us now (unfortunately this was not the case in 1980).

Wish I could have one fall into my greasy paws now.

Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 9:35 am    

Thanks for all the info and points about the levers! I'll keep you posted. -Les

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 1:25 pm    

The 6140 model was factory built as a C6th guitar hence the 6 pedals centered in the pedal bar and no levers.
The 6139 was factory built as an E9th guitar generally with 3 pedals and anywhere from 1-4 knee levers.

Both are the rack and barrel undercarriage unless they've been modified.

I've been asked may times for hardware to make the 6140 into a 6139 but I always advise against it. There are many challenges to the change over and the cost is actually quite high.

There weren't that many 6140's built and there is a demand for them so if you are looking for an E9th S10 I would strongly suggest selling the 6140 and use the funds for the purchase of an already built E9th.

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 2:39 pm    

Yes; exactly what Michael just said !!!

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 11:13 pm    

I'm wondering how they set up the pedals for C6 from the factory. Mine was already switched to E9 when I got it, and I only had it long enough to get it (sort of) in tune and figure out a couple of basic A and B pedal things before I traded it.

Ricky? Anyone?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 6:12 am    

Well like Michael said; there wasn't a LOT of them made and they were originally made to host C6 6 pedals; but did float to E9 chromatic as you can see in description in the poster that came out trying to promote it more...but the knee lever 6139 stayed ahead. I've only worked on the E9 version and it was normally set up to play chromatic E. I'm sure C6 was standard pulls.

Ricky

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 7:27 am    

Toward the later part of the 6140 production run Sho-Bud realized they were going to sell more E9 steels than C6 ones, so they moved the pedals over.
Didn't really help sales, however.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 8:12 pm    

You guys are the best.

Thanks, CR.

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 2:00 pm    

I have a 6140. I changed to E9 removed 2 pedals and added 4 knee levers. I like it just fine. It is rack and barrel, so it has the same issues as other rack and barrels.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 1:48 am    

Was the Sho Bud on the cover of the Joaquin Murphey album that came out in 1976 a 6140? I always figured it was a custom built Sho Bud built to his specs. I didn't even consider the possibility of Sho Bud building a single neck C6 pedal steel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGx0xqgJUZg

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 7:47 am    

Not really a 6140. It's a later model Pro I with a custom setup...looks like it could be set up C6, since the pedals are centered on the pedal bar.
Sho-Bud was always making custom one-offs.

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 10:17 am    

My first steel was a 6140. I ordered it through a music store in New Jersey who knew less about steels than I did ... and I knew nothing! I figured, "Oh, 6 pedals must be better than 3 pedals." It came with an E9 tuning -- the first 3 pedals were standard and I don't remember what the other pedal did (I'm not sure I ever figured it out). In my young mind, it looked and sounded amazing. However, I quickly realized that I needed at least one knee lever. I was also having difficulty with the rack and barrel system -- I just didn't know how to adjust it and everything seemed like it was constantly going out of adjustment; could very well have been my own naivety about steels. Interestingly, the Pro series with nylon tuners were already out at this point -- I guess Sho Bud was selling off older stock. I ended up trading it in. I never forgot how super cool the beautiful natural finish looked and how great it sounded ...

Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 6:30 am     Thanks to all - more questions...

Did I make a mistake on purchasing this 6140?

I'm a newbie at Steel Pedal - how will I tell if C6 or E9?

Recommended Electronic tuners?

Best on-line store to purchase accessories? Specifically, headphone devices that plug directly to SPG - Vox? other brand.

I have a Peavey Nashville 112 Amp - with the Headphone plug on Amp - good or bad for practice?

Recommendations for headphone use and brand of headphones?

Thanks to all for all the info and support - it is much appreciated! -Les

Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 6:52 am     Is this Pic an E9 6140

Is this Pic an E9 6140? Thanks! -Les

Skip Edwards wrote:
Toward the later part of the 6140 production run Sho-Bud realized they were going to sell more E9 steels than C6 ones, so they moved the pedals over.
Didn't really help sales, however.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 7:15 am    

I believe the majority of 6140's were set up E9, regardless of where the pedals are.
A Nashville 112 is a very good amp, for practice and gigs.

What do you want to play? If you want to play country, then E9 is what you want. If you want to play jazz, then C6 is better. Chances are your 6140 will be set up E9.
You'll know when you get it.
I agree with Michael & Ricky. If you want to play E9, then a steel with 3 pedals & 4 knee levers is what you want.

Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 7:27 am    

Very Helpful Skip! I want to play E9 and so this will be a great way to start as long as I can tune it and learn - any suggestions/recommendation for on-line lessons/tips. Thanks! -Les

Skip Edwards wrote:
I believe the majority of 6140's were set up E9, regardless of where the pedals are.
A Nashville 112 is a very good amp, for practice and gigs.

What do you want to play? If you want to play country, then E9 is what you want. If you want to play jazz, then C6 is better. Chances are your 6140 will be set up E9.
You'll know when you get it.
I agree with Michael & Ricky. If you want to play E9, then a steel with 3 pedals & 4 knee levers is what you want.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 8:58 am    

There's all sorts of instructional material available. Check out the Forum store, as well as YouTube. Also, John McClung gives Skype lessons.
Bear in mind that to play E9 like you want to, you really do need a proper E9 setup, with 3 pedals and 4 KLs. Swapping that 6140 out for an E9 steel is a good idea.
IMHO...

Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 9:39 am    

Thanks again - eventually - but going to try out and see what i can do and hopefully enjoy what i have with the 6140

Skip Edwards wrote:
There's all sorts of instructional material available. Check out the Forum store, as well as YouTube. Also, John McClung gives Skype lessons.
Bear in mind that to play E9 like you want to, you really do need a proper E9 setup, with 3 pedals and 4 KLs. Swapping that 6140 out for an E9 steel is a good idea.
IMHO...

Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 9:45 am    

Hey Rickey, although i have yet to receive the 6140 - i know it looks like the six pedals are off to the left - different to the photo you posted - which is centered. So i'm hoping its configure for E9 playing - i'm starting to get concerned if I made a bad purchase. All i care about is getting it in tune and learning how to play. Thanks for posting! -Les

Ricky Davis wrote:
Well like Michael said; there wasn't a LOT of them made and they were originally made to host C6 6 pedals; but did float to E9 chromatic as you can see in description in the poster that came out trying to promote it more...but the knee lever 6139 stayed ahead. I've only worked on the E9 version and it was normally set up to play chromatic E. I'm sure C6 was standard pulls.

Ricky

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 11:35 am    

Yes Leslie; then most likely it is a E9 6140. So take a couple pictures underneath and post them here and I can tell you what all the pedals do and how to tune it properly.
Ricky

Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 12:50 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Yes Leslie; then most likely it is a E9 6140. So take a couple pictures underneath and post them here and I can tell you what all the pedals do and how to tune it properly.
Ricky

Thank you for your help! -Les

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 3:18 pm    

Ok here ya go Leslie; this is how it's set up and the string guages recommended. And the start of how to tune a Barrel tuning Sho~bud.

Ricky

Leslie di Leva

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 3:34 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Ok here ya go Leslie; this is how it's set up and the string guages recommended. And the start of how to tune a Barrel tuning Sho~bud.

Ricky

Thank you Ricky!

I will use this info - very helpful!

Any recommendations on SPG on-line stores to purchase basic items - strings - thumb/finger picks?

I have a Nashville 112 AMP - recommendations on headphones direcly into AMP for quite practice - or VOX type plug-in directly from SPG to headphones.

Sorry to bug you will all the newbie/rookie questions. Thanks again! -Les

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 3:41 pm    

Yes, you'll want my E9 strings here>
https://www.jagwirestrings.com/shop.html#info3-45

You can shop for all the other stuff in the steelguitarforum store as you can see at the top...ACCESSORIES...etc.
I haven't taught in over 10 years; so not sure what/where all the material you want...but the steelguitarforum store is where it is all at.
Ricky