The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good alternative to fader cleaner
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 3:29 pm    

I watch the Guitologist who repairs amps. He uses Max-Pro electronics cleaner/lubricant. Very economical large can and works great for noisy pots.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 8:29 pm    

does that work better than deoxit D5 or gold?

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 7:37 am    

Deoxit D5, the red stuff, is problematic. It works great for about a year, but the residue it leaves tends to collect dirt and eventually create problems. The lower-residue stuff seems to work better.

I know a guy from Nashville that repaired studio mixing consoles for decades that recommends a home-made formula of high percent isopropyl alcohol mixed with a tiny bit of sewing-machine (or turbine) oil, a very thin, clean white oil. He used that exclusively on faders and pots and switches with great success.

This stuff Len shows looks promising too.

The key with all these cleaners is that most all of them work great at first, but after 1-5 years, how does it hold up?

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 9:43 am    

This has been covered here many times before, so anyone interested may try doing a search.

Just as a catch all guideline: Whatever you use, make sure that it says "Safe for Plastics".

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 3:48 pm    

ajm wrote:
Whatever you use, make sure that it says "Safe for Plastics".

I'm sort of "iffy" about an "all-in-one" cleaner-lube.

If it's supposed to clean, how can it lay down a lube?

A two-part application seems more logical.

Use your favorite cleaner and YES make sure it says safe for plastics but then a lube for electronics would be a dedicated lube.

You know how some pots have that "resistance" when you turn them, they don't feel like a toy?

A straight cleaner will knock out the resistance grease and make the pot/fader feel wimpy to move.

This is the stuff they put in those pots at the factory.

https://www.newark.com/electrolube/cg53a35sl/contact-treatment-grease-35ml/dp/57AC5786

This is used by some guys restoring faders in mixer consoles to get that resistance back and keep them from sounding noisy longer.

Comes in cans and large tubs too.

All that said, in a pinch the all-in-one will get one out of a bind on stage or during a session.

The Max Professional looks interesting. But it would depend on how long any cleaner-lube lasts before it starts getting noisy again.

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2020 12:32 pm     Contact Cleaner

An electronics tech that works on electronics daily told me the best lubricant and cleaner combo is available from The Source store,its called NU-TROL.It lubricates volume slides while cleaning,will not damage faders.It has always worked for me.

Carl
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2020 9:49 am    

I have been using the Max-Pro lubricant since I purchased it earlier this year. I have used it on noisy amp and guitar potentiometers and it works good. This can is huge and will outlive me.