The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thinking About All Of You As We Face This Pandemic..
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2020 10:02 am    

OK..........let's get back to CE Jackson.....has anyone heard from him?

Barbara Berg

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 6:07 pm     Virus

I use to have spaghetti with my uncles delicious sauce with Squirrel meat.
All kiddin aside, I'm in Washington, Snohomish was the first hit with the virus at one of our rest homes. Our town is like a "Ghost Town". Gov. Inslee pretty much shut the State of Wa. down. Fortunately I still have greens in my garden, potatoes, parsnips, and leeks. Been making soups, staying away from potential carriers, and practicing my guitar. To keep physically fit I've been replacing fence boards the cows have managed to break rubbing their winter hair off. Trying to stay mentally, physically, and spiritually fit allows me to stay in tuned with music and the people who love playing their instruments. I am so lucky to have the SGF available, so I can laugh at all your crazy comments!

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 7:00 pm     Re: Thinking About All Of You As We Face This Pandemic..

Mark Helm wrote:
I know this is a non-pedal posting forum--and I'm a non-pedal guy... But I wanted to share and figured this was the place.

In the past several days, I've been especially worried about our members who are most vulnerable to the virus, and I pray for them every day, multiple times. Most of all, I've been thinking about C.E. Jackson, who got me started on this path. I'm sure you all know him. What a guy!

I'm hoping C.E. will post something soon to let us know he's sheltering in place and doing OK. These are tough times.

Many of you have seen a lot of activity from me the past several years, but not much of late. TO be honest, the past few months have been really rough. We just had tornadoes in Nashville, my car died twice and, well, when it was all said and done, I had to sell my last steel... a sweet Remington D-8/10. That was pretty painful. And now this. Work's disappearing, and there's no end in sight... BUT, I'm confident we'll get through this!

And, as we shelter in place, I encourage you to reach out to a pioneer like C.E. Jackson, or a member who's inspired you. Please check in to let them know how much you appreciate them, and suggest they post a note to let us know they're alright, or a new tune if they can..

I love ALL you guys. You're in my thoughts and prayers in these difficult times.

Aloha,

Mark Helm

Mark,

Thank you for the kind comments. So sorry for the problems which the tornado has caused you. Hopefully, you will recover soon.
My wife and I are doing well to both be in our 80's.

Your friend,

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 10:25 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Thanks for posting this topic, Mark... Two weeks ago I quit teaching at the store. It’s too dangerous for someone of my age to be teaching in a small room with the door closed, one student after another.

. All of my gigs are cancelled for now and that's fine with me. This virus hasn't even peaked yet. And after it does it will still be with us until a vaccine is available. That's 12 to 18 months away.

Doug- Thank god you're OK is all I can say. And you have been so wise to quit the teaching and the gigs, although I can't imagine how difficult that has been on your wallet.

Hang in there!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 24 Mar 2020 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 10:38 pm     Be safe!

David Matzenik wrote:
Before the Virus,there I was, with a "to-do" list so long I wondered if I would live long enough to get it all done. Now ... well, I'm wondering if I'll live long enough to get it all done.

Wow, Dave... what you said really hit home. I hope you--like Doug (Hello, Brother!),
are sheltering in place and staying healthy.

We MUST, if we want to all survive this, listen to the scientists. Although the president's ego won't allow it, we must put Dr. Faucci front and center and listen to what he says because he's a real scientist who isn't worrying about getting re-elected, or his hotel business, or $ for his rich pals, or ANYTHING else but YOU-- the health and welfare of the American people. So, listen to him:

*Stay at home if you possibly can for the next 3 weeks;

*Practice social distancing (stay as far away from others as you can; I'm ONLY interacting with my ex-wife and 2 teenage kids who aren't leaving the house);

*Do whatever you can to stay healthy: exercise, eat right, play your STEEL a lot!

PLEASE, friends, listen to what Faucci and other reputable scientists say. I love you guys and can't afford to lose a single one of you!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 24 Mar 2020 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 10:55 pm     Re: Thinking About All Of You As We Face This Pandemic..

C. E. Jackson wrote:

Thank you for the kind comments. So sorry for the problems which the tornado has caused you. Hopefully, you will recover soon.
My wife and I are doing well to both be in our 80's.

Your friend,

C. E. Smile

SO good to hear from you. Your EH-185 just sings on "Beyond the Reef." Post more!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 3:45 am    

Thanks, Mark and to everyone on the forum, thanks for the 20+ years of wonderful online conversations, info, joy, grousing, beauty, surprise and general fun we've all had together. I'm hunkered down and so far, feeling well. From age, asthma and a crappy immune system I'm in the high risk group so I'm keeping my head low and writing steel guitar arrangements!

I urge everyone to ignore the dangerous misinformation coming out of the White House and listen to reputable healthcare entities like the CDC, WHO and Dr. Fauci. Think of social distancing like driving. When we get in our cars, we all have an unspoken pact to at least try not to hit one another or take crazy chances that cause accidents. Same here, if you make a grocery run or go out to walk the dog, keep your distance. If we can slow the transmission, we can give the healthcare system the opportunity to better be ready to give us and our families the best chance of pulling through if we're very sick.

So best of luck to all - play music, live long and prosper!