The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  when shipping a heavy amp
Mike Christensen

Cook Minnesota
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 1:26 pm    

When shipping a heavy amp like a Webb should I leave a hole for the handle?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 3:06 pm    

Yes.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 3:32 pm    

That’s a good idea because the Fed-X or UPS guy will know that’s the top of the amp and maybe not throw it around.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 3:48 pm    

That’s a good idea because the Fed-X or UPS guy will know that’s the top of the amp and maybe not throw it around.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 4:11 pm    

You might check with an agent. I packed an old Artist 240 in a shipping carton with the rigid packing corners on all 8 which made the package almost too large for a worker to grasp and pick up without help.

I assumed that they would use a hand truck to handle it instead of trying to bear hug it.

Of course the size made it costlier to ship, but this was several years ago. I don't know if it would be economical to ship that large a carton these days.

Whatever you do, be sure and protect the speaker area well and if it has tubes, you might consider pulling them and wrapping them separate.

Just a thought.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 5:38 pm    

I wouldn't leave anything exposed. Drivers today will throw things around.

If you really need to ship it, pack it in a thick TV box you get from U-Haul but wrap a blanket around the amp or some heavy duty bubble wrap. Or both.

You'll need to do measuring and guesstimating. Don't assume the box itself is the only thing you'll need.

Be prepared to shell out good money to get it done right.

You actually have to make it "idiot proof" on the off chance an idiot will actually be handling your amp. Not saying all those drivers are idiots. Murphy's Law is king these days.

Or if you have a packing service near you they might be able to do a proper pack.

These days are long gone

This is what we get today

Failing all that, invest in a flight case and you can redo the American Tourister ad.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 8:34 pm    

Threads about shipping steels, using plywood all around vs double cardboard on outside, closed/open cell foam inside, paying to have Fedex/UPS pack it, insurance claims etc

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=314449

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=335387

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=318443

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 5:33 am    

I’ve used these a time or two

https://plastifoam.com/stock-packaging/ezeecorner/... they really do a good job of acting as shock absorbers

Box within a box, lots of bubble wrap.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 12:19 pm     Shipping

For what it's worth, and I know there's much controversy about this!
I have tried many different ways of sending amps and steels and guitars, but I have shipped several Nashville 400's lately, and the best way I've found is to take them to FedEx, let THEM pack it, and ship it. The agent told me that when they do that, IF there were to be any damage, not only will they pay the value you stated, but will also reimburse the shipping fees.
The recipients of these amps were amazed at how well they were packed. So far, so good and all's happy. Yes, it costs a little more for them to pack it, but in the big picture, a drop in the bucket. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thx, Pat

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 1:22 pm    

Removing the speaker is a plus. If the box falls from the conveyor belt or is mishandled by the warehouse workers or the driver (read once about a driver being observed drop kicking a boxed vintage Fender Twin from the rear of his truck), the sudden stop coupled with the weight of a heavy speaker like a Black Widow or JBL will most likely severely damage the cabinet and possibly take a few of the components such as the transformer(s) along for the ride. When purchasing an amp, I normally attempt to buy it unloaded for that reason. Pack the speaker in a separate box and place it along side the amp..FYI: The 2" blue foam insulation sold at Lowes makes great packing material.

Last edited by David Nugent on 1 Apr 2020 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 1:40 pm     Shipping

Yeah, I usually get 3/4" styrofoam from Lowes or a hardware store, and cover the grill and all sides, and give it to them that way. Removing the speaker is a good idea too, but I've not done that.
Thanks David!
Pat

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 2:01 pm    

Therm-a-Rest camping Pad. Egg carton type dense foam, I found this ounce for ounce the best stuff to ship fragiles in, surfboards, dinner dishes etc but not real comfortable to sleep on:

https://www.rei.com/product/829826/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol-sleeping-pad