The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Gauge question
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 11:36 am    

In 41 years of playing I never had any reason to check the gauge of a string until now. I've been using a particular brand I won't mention for various reasons. I started getting a buzzing on my MSA and decided to buy a set of digital calipers to check them.

Maybe this is old news but I found them to be off from .001 to .002 from what's on the package. Example: package says .011 and it's actually .010 and the .036 was .034

Most all the others were .0015 undersize.

Again this problem has just surfaced so have many of you come across the same issue with the various brands you use? I do realize most of you haven't got a digital caliper lying around and have probably never checked before.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Last edited by Dick Wood on 17 Mar 2020 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 12:12 pm    

Had the exact same issue with a set of electric guitar strings recently. I usually use their standard light 10-46 gauge coated strings and decided to splurge on the new 'enhanced' version (same brand / gauge but different 'improved' coating), and my guitar all of a sudden felt really stiff. Tougher to do bends, just didn't feel right.

Checked the gauges and sure enough there was a difference of up to 0.0015 or so.

I went back to my old reliables and it sure feels good to be back.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 2:49 am    

How do you know that the caliper is accurate? Unless it's a pretty expensive one, many are +/- 0.010".

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 3:49 am    

I fought a buzzing problem since changing strings. I went to my stack of leftover strings to solve the problem.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 4:22 am    

To add to what I posted.

I summed up two days and three nights of trying four different amps. Twisting knobs, and raising and lowering the pickup. I actually thought my pickup was distorting from to close distance.

I thought it could not be strings, they were new and same kind, same gauge.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 4:52 am    

Quote:
In 41 years of playing I never had any reason to check the gauge of a string until now. I've been using a particular brand I won't mention for various reasons. I started getting a buzzing on my MSA and decided to buy a set of digital calipers to check them.

Maybe this is old news but I found them to be off from .001 to .002 from what's on the package. Example: package says .011 and it's actually .010 and the .036 was .034

Most all the others were .0015 undersize.

Have you checked your calipers lately? If everything measures low, I'd more suspect the tool I was measuring with.

`

Dean Smith

DFW, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 4:54 am    

Dick...not sure if new strings solved your problem or not. I chased a string buzz not long ago that caused the "fit of rage" and I basically took a pair of side cutters and pulled off every new string I had put on a couple weeks earlier.

When that didn't solve the problem, I kept looking and eventually found a loose jamb nut on a knee lever stop that was buzzing from the resonance of the undercarriage. Easy fix, but it was a pain the rear to locate. Ruined a perfectly good set of strings. This was on a Mullen RP.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 5:36 am    

A micrometer is the thing to use.
Calipers are not accurate enough down there.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 2:56 pm    

You have a point there Ian but what it did show is that the strings that measured under were the ones where the buzzing was coming from the most.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 3:16 pm    

I am a retired HD Truck mechanic with a good digital micrometer. When rebuilding diesel engines I always miced the new bearings. Did not trust because of vender error. Out of habit when I change strings I always mic them. Been using NYXL strings. The most I have found was maybe one string that was less than a half a thousandth off.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 5:07 am    

Can you recommend a good digital micrometer for measuring strings that is not too expensive?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 5:45 am    

Steven Paris wrote:
How do you know that the caliper is accurate? Unless it's a pretty expensive one, many are +/- 0.010".

No, that should read 0.001 ...even the $10-15 Pittsburgh dig calipers from harbor freight claim that accuracy.

I use one of those from Stewmac that they sell for measuring fret wire. That's accurate enough. Plus, they have a greater range, usually up to six inches for measuring other things and you can use it in more places. You have to angle the jaws for measuring wound strings, that's true.

A cheap mic claims accuracy up to 0.0001, so yes more accurate. Helpful if you're measuring critical clearance things such as engine bearings or other tolerances.

They usually only have a 1 inch range and they're 2 or 3 times the cost. If you have one of those, use it to measure string gauges, but I wouldn't personally go out and buy one just for that when a dig. caliper will do just fine.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 5:59 am    

Steven Paris wrote:

I have used a Starrett 0-1" micrometer,(looks like a C clamp)with the same results as Dick Wood. There is no such thing as a perfect gauge string, they vary from pkg to pkg. and brand to brand. My 2 cents worth FWIW.

Bill

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 1:13 am    

I would never trust a vernier, I always use a micrometer.

I've been at the engineering 'coal face' for nearly 50 years, verniers have their place for 'rough and ready' work, but micrometers are the go to measuring tool for more accurate work.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 4:20 am    

I still use my machinist grandfather's approximately 100 year old Starrett micrometer to meausre strings, which I do pretty routinely since I frequently make up custom string sets from packs of single strings, especially for different slide guitar and lap/console steel tunings. I have a couple of more modern micrometers. In terms of accuracy, nothing holds a candle to that old Starrett. It ain't fancy, but is rock solid.

My experience is that some strings have not-so-tight tolerances in gauge - not only from string to string but sometimes even at different points along the length of the string. Once I see the latter, I avoid that brand. Luckily, those are usually off-brands that I got for some stupid deal somewhere.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 4:57 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
No, that should read 0.001 ...even the $10-15 Pittsburgh dig calipers from harbor freight claim that accuracy.

Yes. my error. But that still means +/- 0.001", which means that a nominal 0.010 string can measure from 0.009 to 0.011. Eh?

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 5:27 am    

Starrett outside micrometers blurb - https://www.starrett.com/category/precision-measuring-tools/outside-micrometers/110101

Quote:
Mechanical outside micrometers measure outer dimensions in 1" increments to 0.0001" accuracy and resolution

Basic model here - https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/T444.1XRL-1

Quote:
Reading in ten-thousandths of an inch (.0001") with a vernier scale on the sleeve

Not cheap but great. Cheap micrometers typically have .001" accuracy and resolution - e.g., https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/measure-and-marking-tools/measuring-devices/20991

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 4:30 pm    

I’ve used this General Mic for years....always gauging strings for different setups..also in the garage..they are under $25 on Amazon now..I paid a lot more from a machine shop supplier in the 80’s. Shocked