The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Diving into the non pedal world...
Phil Ajjarapu

Portland, via Austin, TX via Chicago
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2020 6:02 pm    

I have a Williams s10 3x4 but early in January I bought a hilo weissenborn I found at a local shop, and I love it. About 3 weeks ago I got my first dobro off of craigslist. Turned out a friend was selling his regal black lightning with a lace sensor installed. Now I have the bug for a clinesmith, but today I bought a rick model b panda 10 string on fleabay.

On the upside, everytime I sit down at my Williams for rehearsals, I feel a lot more accurate. Like, surgically accurate.

Any non pedal teachers you'd recommend in the Portland Oregon area, or online? I feel like I've got a lot of mileage watching lessons with troy. Anyone use his site?

Would you sell the Rick someday to get the clinesmith or hang on to both?

What advice would you give a newbie?

Thanks.

Phil

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2020 10:30 pm    

Phil, no advice here, but as an exclusive devotee of pedal guitar with no interest at all in the non-pedal kind, I find your rampant enthusiasm inspiring!

Good luck!

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2020 11:46 pm    

Phil,
I started out on pedal steel (well, after 40 yrs of under arm guitar). But at some point I thought that those small, light-weight lap steels might have something...
Oh lord they do! I feel way more confident on a PSG. But lap steels are a whole bunch of fun. Resonators really get me going the most, but my electric lap steels are a blast too.
My conclusion is that you just have to have both. Different moods, different situations, different times.
Smile

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2020 9:18 am    

There are some incredible players in your neck of the woods. I believe Jeremy Wakefield and Russ Blake both live in the Portland area. I would be thrilled to get lessons from either of them - if they do give lessons. It would be well worth it to look them up.

If you like 10 strings hang onto the Ricky - they are wonderful. Personally I prefer 8 strings and you can't go wrong with a Clinesmith, so either way you win. Good luck!

Phil Ajjarapu

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2020 10:17 am    

Thanks to everyone weighing in, I'm gonna go try and hunt someone down locally.

I might sign up for lessons with troy as well.

His free stuff on youtube has been helpful and thoughtfully paced.

Phil Ajjarapu

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 2:07 pm    

I might have a problem, but it's been a good way to spend time while we try and get through quarantine and also it beats twiddling thumbs while waiting for my school district to figure out how we're supposed to teach kids online.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 9:58 pm    

My advice is to stay away from ukuleles. Those little suckers breed even faster than lap steels!

BTW, That 10 string Rick looks awesome. Three strings more than I can handle, but awesome nonetheless.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 6:24 am    

Nobody collects steels faster than a zealous newbie, haha! Don't ask me how I know...

For lessons it depends what styles you're interested in and what players you'd like to emulate. For Hawaiian Alan Akaka is a great kumu.

I love my CS frypan. Best steel I have. But I wouldn't quickly turn loose of a rare 10 string Rick, either. I'd take your time before making a decision like that, they aren't common and you don't want to be having sellers remorse down the line!

David Hausner

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 7:22 am    

If you are looking for square neck resonator lessons Matt Snook is the guy in Portland.